Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kennedy Motorsports: Beware

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 AM
robingb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kennedy Motorsports: Beware

I just had a horrible experience with Ryan Kennedy who owns Kennedy Motorsports. Last Saturday I agreed to pay full price and made a deposit on a 1992 911 they had on consignment. It was advertised here last Friday in the classifieds as "good as new, none nicer". I was also told by Mr. Kennedy , a self proclaimed expert in re P cars, that the car was "perfect with all original paint" and the price was fixed.. As it turned out, car was not so perfect. I learned this mid Monday morning when Mr. Kennedy called and told me that he had just discovered rust in the cowl of the car (as well as a repainted hood). Nevertheless, I told Mr. Kennedy I still really wanted the car. He assured me he would give me first chance to buy it once the rust was repaired. He also assured me he would work with the owner to adjust price to let me do the rust repair. On Tuesday morning I woke up to an email from Mr. Kennedy simply stating that car was sold. To say the least, I was stunned! I just don't know for sure what happened although, upon reflection, i have a suspicion. At 7 o'clock Monday morning i awakened with a call from Mr. Kennedy telling me he had received extraordinary interest in the car over the weekend and wanted to make sure i wanted to proceed. I think i disappointed him when I said did. Then, a few hours later, I received the aforementioned call from Mr. Kennedy disclosing the newly discovered rust. My suspicion is the existence of this rust was made up as a way to effectively nullify our agreement so the car could be sold for more. That's just a suspicion. In any event, I am still trying to recover my deposit, Mr. Kennedy assures me its coming but i have reason NOT to believe him.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn.
Feel your pain.

You had a verbal contract and you paid consideration to bind it...

I assume you are in the States so you live in the Land of Litigation, Shrinks and Guns (yip thats often how us non stateside folk view the states - rightly or wrongly!). Sue the B*stard and make him pay!

Sorry I cant add anything further in sympathy but it sounds like again money rules over honor!

M
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear of your (attempted) buying experience.

It might help if you told us who / where Kennedy Motorsports is.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

For purposes of dramatic irony, I'm hoping it's New Zealand, where only good things happen.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar experience with that seller a few years ago. I can't say that I would recommend this dealer to a potential buyer.https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...le-seller.html
Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kennedy's in Daytona/Ormond Beach?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Chicago
For purposes of dramatic irony, I'm hoping it's New Zealand, where only good things happen.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

David in Chicago. Like your humour!

NZ aint no Solla Sollew. We call em lawyers, physchologists but we only have us large sticks and clubs :-)

Cheers
M
Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by robingb
I agreed to pay full price and made a deposit...
After which he gave you a bill of sale...or?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem. If you had a written contract or a note on the check that it was a deposit for that car, and he cashed it, you might have some traction. Otherwise enjoy a bottle of wine and go to bed early, there are other cars out there.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Email sent to Kennedy Motorsports:

Hi there,

I'm a long-time Porsche owner and just recently became a member of the popular Rennslist forums.

Having only been on the forums for a few weeks, I am appalled to see the reputation of Kennedy Motorsports. In short, Kennedy Motorsports' salesmen have a reputation for dishonesty (at best) and wholly unscrupulous practices at worst. Specifically, it seems that one common occurrence reported by your prospective customers is that Kennedy repeatedly accepts offers only to back out for one reason or another as other offers come along. As a former car salesman, I can tell you that these types of tactics are not only dishonest, but ultimately detrimental to your business. In a niche market (particularly one that relates to an expensive, high-end product), your reputation always precedes you, and I'm frankly shocked to see that Kennedy is still selling cars. The online Porsche community has lined up against you, and I wouldn't be surprised to see your dealership ostracized from the tight-knit Porsche community if these practices continue.

Sincerely,
Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

It seems that both of the contact emails listed on their website are no longer in use. If the OP has a contact email for them, I will happily re-send my email.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Email (re)sent!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 PM
ryguy993
Racer

RobingB,
There are many dishonest dealers out there who will swear to you until they are blue in the face that they are the most "honest, trustworthy, bible-thumpin, holy rollers" out there. Almost all of them will screw you sideways if you give them the chance. Based on the description of your experience here, I would say that you know this now. I would say to search the PCA classified ads and the F/S section here on Rennlist. You will surely find the car you are looking for and buying it from an owner who is knowledgable and isn't in it solely for the profit helps too. I hope you find the car you are looking for! Good Luck!

Ryan
Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gables Sports Cars in Miami was very dishonest with me when I was in the market for a 993. NEVER disclosed to me a plethora of disaster repairs their car has, I lost 5k in a deposit, and it was all quite unfortunate. But in the end, it was all worth walking away from a money pit. I love the 993 I ended up buying from Park Place Porsche in Dallas, the largest used Porsche dealership in the US. They do it right!

Its important to spread the word about these businesses.

Quick Reply: Kennedy Motorsports: Beware