Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: Best way to ship wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Best way to ship wheels?

Have a set of wheels that I am selling and wondering what is the best (read: cheapest) way to ship them to the buyer. UPS? Freight?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a tough thing to undertake yourself. When I sold my neighbor's 4 MINT old Mercedes wheels I wanted to make sure they arrived safely to the buyer so I took it to the local UPS store where they do everything. They obviously did a fine job as the buyer was delighted. Total cost was $125 from NC to AZ. I did nothing but haul the rims to the store. They packed and shipped. That price does not seem excessive to me as I would gladly pay that as a buyer to ensure safe delivery.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they still have tires, just cut (8) cardboard circles and tape them on. UPS will take them that way. Otherwise, you need boxes. You can do like 95 NC 993 or you can go to a wheel shop and p/u boxes.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Fedex Ground is what I use. Fairly inexpensive and an easy drop-off at any FedEx/Kinko's.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
if they still have tires, just cut (8) cardboard circles and tape them on. UPS will take them that way. Otherwise, you need boxes. You can do like 95 NC 993 or you can go to a wheel shop and p/u boxes.
Yes they will, and there is a good chance they will get damaged. UPS will not pay a claim for wheels damaged (dinged, scratched, etc) while being packed this way. Ask me how I know. I have been stuck several times as a buyer by UPS, as it is the seller that has to make a claim. This may or may not be an issue depending on the wheels...

The best way for wheels only is in a properly fitting/padded box. If the wheels have tires on them it is much more difficult because of the size and weight. I have packed them using about two miles of bubble wrap and then shrink wrap. I have not had any damage complaints on a couple sets of wheels packed this way. It is a major PITA though.

I have better luck with Fedex Ground than UPS, and it is cheaper too.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

I have shipped too many wheels and tires.

If you are shipping wheels with tires still on them, go to U-Haul and buy 27" TV/Microwave Box. It is 24.5" x 24.5" x 27.5" (9.55 cu/ft). You can fit two wheels/tires in the box. For single wheels without tires you can buy a Electronics Box. It is 20" x 20" x 12" (2.8 cu/ft). For two wheels without tires buy a 20" x 20" x 20" box at FedEx. You can ship two front wheels together in this box, not two rears.

I am always concerned when shipping wheels and go out of my way to over protect them. First I wrap the face of the wheel with several layers of plastic wrap. This is the thin cling wrap. If shipping a single wheel or wheel and tire, I'll put three layers of cardboard over the top of the wheel. This, coupled with the two layesr of the top of the box you will protect the wheel. If shipping two wheels in one box I'll do the same separating the two wheel. If you have some form pieces use thoughs too.

Once they are packed, use a good two inch tape to seal the box with.

I use FedEx ground to ship. I just sent a single wheel (18" x 10" hollow spoke) from Los Angeles to the state of Washington. I insured it for $350. Total cost was $30.13. I have four Wheels I'll ship this week from Los Angeles to Louisiana. Three boxes (two front wheels in one box) insured for $1000. Total cost will be $131. FedEx has an on line calculator that is pretty good.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
+993
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies.

They are just the wheels, sans tires. Already have boxes for them with cardboard protectors that go over the face from when I purchased my MY02's so thats not a problem. Was looking more for pricing and which carrier to use I guess.

Quick Reply: OT: Best way to ship wheels?