Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: New Daily Driver BMW 328xi or A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 AM
DFC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: New Daily Driver BMW 328xi or A4 Quattro

Most of us don't drive our 993 daily and since we have similar tastes in cars, wanted to hear any feedback from those of you that are also Audi or BMW owners.
I'm looking to replace my 01 BMW 328i and will be test driving new cars soon. Appreciate any advice or input before test driving the subject cars. I was in Frankfurt last Fall and saw many more Audi's than BMW's on the road... What do you think is the better all-around car?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently have an Audi S4 on order, so mine is not an unbiased opinion... But, when I compared the two brands, I came to the conclusion that the Audi made more sense. I just don't care for the bimmer interiors, and no one does all whell drive as well as Audi (IMO). I am moving from a VW Jetta GLI, and I can tell you with all seriousness that the 2.0 Liter Turbo is easily the best 4-banger I have ever owned! The VW had build quality issues, but the motor was a gem! I'd get the Audi... easy decision.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with the Bimmer. After owning 3 bimmers and working on them to maintain them I really like the engineering and the east of repair. The BMW 3 series straight 6 is bullet proof and 2nd to none in terms of efficiency and smoothness.

Only down side of the Bimmer is that there are all over the road.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 AM
pdemar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned two bimmers before and while nice drives, I found the A4/S4 a better fit for a four door sedan with good/very good performance and gas mileage. I bought a 2010 S4 last summer and very pleased.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i love both. However, as much as i hate to say this, the damn Audi has had its fair share of gremlins...
Electrical, etc.... trouble is, the dealer plays trail and error to fix it and never figures it out...

Not all of them mind you.... but most i have come across. Same for volkswagen lately too....

Id go with BMW. Especially for the long haul.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Our '06 E90 325i has been as dead-on reliable as our '99 E46 328i was. (Both RWD cars.) Comfortable too with the sport package seats. Can sit for hours on end on long trips to San Diego, Las Vegas, or Phoenix. I considered getting a 328xi Coupe for running around, but just decided to do all the snow driving with the C4S.

I hear too many weird stories about Audis from our local "group." (~300 racers/track guys who have all varieties of cars in their fleets.) Almost zero stories on street E46/E90 from out one guy who runs a BMW specialty shop.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Like Robin says, the NA IL6 is a great reliable and super smooth motor.

I'd get a new 328xi wagon if I were looking for a good all-around daily. And before they stop importing the wagon (low US sales may mean pretty soon.)

The only thing I don't like about them are the RFTs. You can always switch to regular tires but there's no space for a spare.

Also I actually like the very latest iDrive over the Audi's current MMI.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:36 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I have loved every minute with my 06 A4 S-Line 2.0T. Great motor and great mileage. It is my daily driver. Agreed....too many Bimmer 3 series on the road.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Another 2 thumbs up for the Audi 2.0T. Best 4 cyl motor I've driven too although the one I have in my 2006 A3 is modded slightly. With APR chip mods its putting out 250HP and 300ftlbs on 93 octane setting. Can't say enough good things about the Audi's. Best interiors in their class. Would love a 2.0T Quattro but that beast was never brought into the US. I'll be looking closely at the new Golf R when it arrives in a few months, just to see how 270HP in a small lightweight chassis, with AWD feels. The good news is that its coming over with a manual gearbox. I hope Audi imports something similar in the next few years when I'll be in the market for a new DD.

I also owned a Beemer E46 M3 and whilst it had a better interior than the current range, it was still not for me.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 06 A6 Avant with 3.2 V6 has been totally trouble free for 70,000 miles. I switched from BMW because of the local dealers. The Audi may suffer quicker depreciation than BMW and having to use a factory tool to reset the computer after an oil change on the later models is a pain. I get considerably better gas mileage with the A6 than I did with my E46 M3, even when I drove it gently. The A6 is quite a step up in comfort and NVH from the A4 IMHO. An Audi A6 "certified" with approximately 25,000 miles (coming off a two yr lease) will have pretty good warranty and will sell for about the same or less than a new A4. Something to consider. Have fun shopping.....Chris
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
DFC4S
Racer

Thanks for all the feedback.

My E46 has been bullet proof in terms of reliablity which would be a concern (as raised here) for the Audi. It is definitely a car that I will want to hold onto for a while. Also will be taking it up to the pass when the wife has the LandCruiser so need the AWD. The Audi B8 has a great exterior design and would satisfy my needs... but am concerned with it's reliability and maintenance costs since I'll be holding onto it for 10 years or 120k miles.

I'll be test driving this weekend. However; it seems that it may be wise to hold off for the 2012 BMW as it will introduce redesign of the X-Drive system. What do you guys think of the new BMW exterior styling?
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

It looks like the new F10 5 series. No wait, the F10 looks like the new 3 series. No, the 5 series looks like the new 7 series.

They've definitely gone back to 'same sausage, different slice' style of design. But I like the exterior. And the interior of the new F10 is really nice.

If you could really live without the AWD drive, what about the 335d?

As far as there being "too many" 3ers on the road, who really cares. There's a reason that they are so popular and the best selling car in the segment. According to the auto industry news, the 3 series sales records is why every car maker aspires to having a 3 series type vehicle in their portfolio.

I guess I'd rather drive a common car than a rarity that might be suspect in respect to value and reliability. imho, owning a good car isn't about exclusivity.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:32 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, I have had nothing but Audi A4's (B5 B6 and now B7) as daily drivers for the past 12 years. All of them have been SOLID cars without any issues whatsoever. Seriously.

My current 6-speed 2.0T Quattro A4 S-line has a chip in it. I drive it as hard as my 993, and has performed flawlessly for the past 5 years, without any drama.

Last edited by cabrio993; 03-08-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
DFC4S
Racer

Originally Posted by cabrio993
FWIW, I have had nothing but Audi A4's (B6, B7 and now B8) as daily drivers for the past 12 years. All of them have been SOLID cars without any issues whatsoever. Seriously.

My current 6-speed 2.0T Quattro A4 S-line has a chip in it. I drive it as hard as my 993, and has performed flawlessly for the past 5 years, without any drama.

Thanks for this data point! My perception in this market is that BMW has better reliability than Audi.

I do also need an AWD as I do plan to take it skiing during the season.

FWIW, exclusivity does not matter for the daily driver.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC4S
Thanks for this data point! My perception in this market is that BMW has better reliability than Audi.

I do also need an AWD car...
AWD? The Audi has Quattro, one of the best AWD systems out there. The whole car is designed around Quattro.

I have to disagree however with your perception. My perception is that Audi has better reliability than BMW. The tables have turned. Just like Toyota, BMW is not what is used to be. They rested on their laurels and quality/finish is not the same anymore. Do your research and you'll see what I'm saying.

Quick Reply: OT: New Daily Driver BMW 328xi or A4 Quattro