Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best Bluetooth?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best Bluetooth?

I need a good stereo with bluetooth. I currently have a Parrot that is good, but not great. I use my 993 as my daily driver and I do a fair amount of business calling while driving. I have tried the motorolla Motorokr T505 but wasn't crazy about it. My old Range Rover sport had an awesome setup but it was stock. At this point, cost is not really an object (under $1000 for head unit) but I just want one that works very easily (ie syncs up effortlessly) and sounds good (to both me and the people on the other end)

I'd also like to be able to access the ipod on my iphone for music. CD player is not necessary.

Anyone have suggestions? I have searched but most posts are a little older so I thought some new devices may have come out that are better quality...

thanks,

Mark
Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Mark,
I'm subcribing because I'd like to hear what others have tried as well. I got an iPhone two years ago and installed a TomTom navigation cradle for it in my '95 coupe. I had it hardwired through an older Alpine head unit for iPod/Pandora music through the stereo and charging, but it would not allow phone calls to be patched through the car's stereo and instead, had a small speaker and mic built into the cradle for hands-free bluetooth calling which was just "ok" really. It's strong suit was the navigation app worked great (cradle had a built in GPS antenna) and when directions were given or a phone call came in, it would turn down the music coming through the iPhone to allow priority for those other functions and then resume music play at the previous volume when finished. If I had been able to channel phone calls through the car's stereo system as well it would have been close to perfect ... always an Achilles heel with these systems ...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Becker Auto Sound in Saddle Brook, NJ. They are the "best of class" and if they don't have or can't convert something you already own, they will steer you in the right direction. I have been to their shop and it's freakin amazing...like a laboratory of sorts.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:22 PM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

i use a Becker Grand Prix 7990 unit: fm + CD + MP3 via CD + bluetooth speaker with factory microphone + factory ipod connector cable instead of CD changer

the look of the unit is very conservative, 100% Porsche 964 / 993 proof

details: mybecker.com

i'm ghappy with it, fine sound and bluetooth quality
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently installed an Alpine CDE-126BT in my 993. I wanted an easy to use head unit that could provide hands free calling and play MP3 audio. This unit has buttons for favorite channels, which is a feature missing from many receivers on the market.
My BlackBerry pairs up to it silently and automatically when I get in and start the car. Receiving calls is very easy and it seems that the audio is fine. Dialing is a bit harder - you can scroll through your phone's contact list using the receiver display or you can call using the voice dialing capabilities in the phone.
I can compare this to a Motorola IHF-1000 that I have in two other vehicles. The Motorola unit is really nice, but it is a separate unit and therefore requires additional space and expense. It might interface to your existing receiver, but probably not. The thing I like about the IHF-1000 is that it has its own voice recognition software and you can setup contacts there. Voice dialing is easy. In one of my vehicles, it is interfaced to the factory radio, using the factory speakers, etc. and I consider this the best setup. In the other vehicle, it mutes the aftermarket stereo when in use, but doesn't use the speakers/amp.

I'm happy with the Alpine, although it would be nice to have HD radio. It's perfect for receiving calls. Its also very easy to operate as a receiver.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:43 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

I just redid my whole stereo system, and got a Pioneer MVH-P8200BT as the head-unit, it syncs my contacts from my iPhone 4, but the recents and favorites don't seem to transfer to the head-unit, but those are non issues for me, it was a great deal at best buy for $200 down from $329.00. (or somewheres around there?)

What i like best is that it looks very clean, and not like some ricers after market radio, and the colors that the buttons on it glow, can be changed from over 128 different colors, which include the exact color of the backlighting of the rest of the switchgear in the car.

From Buy.com

Best of luck, i think this was the best looking one out of all the radio's I saw at Best Buy
Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 AM
sds
Advanced

I'm using the Becker Cascade 7944. Syncs good and sounds perfect.
Had some syncing problems with system software 4, but no problems anymore with system software 5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Bluetooth?