Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Whatever we have it certainly isn't what it used to be 10+ years ago.
DC,
How you been?

Site sure has changed over the years.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Mark, does that mean I should stop spending my money in the US and start buying my parts in Canada at double the price?

I and other smart shoppers have never considered themselves cheap or a cheapskate because we spend our money wisely. Frugal maybe, but then we must be part Dutch and part Scottish. The one thing I'll never be is a "puppet".
Do you always buy where is cheaper?

I don't mind spending more and buying locally to support my local economy. At the end, we all benefit from it.

Spending money wisely doesn't mean just spending less money and watching out for yourself in the short term, but how it really affects you, your community, and your economy in the long term. That's not being a puppet, that is just being truly a wise consumer.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Mark, does that mean I should stop spending my money in the US and start buying my parts in Canada at double the price?

I and other smart shoppers have never considered themselves cheap or a cheapskate because we spend our money wisely. Frugal maybe, but then we must be part Dutch and part Scottish. The one thing I'll never be is a "puppet".
Alex, you're kind of proving my point...
Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Do you always buy where is cheaper?
Most smart shoppers including businesses do, especially in our competitive world.

I don't mind spending more and buying locally to support my local economy.
The only guy benefiting is the business owner. The money is better in my pocket than his. When a local whines that I am buying stateside, I just tell them to make up the dollar difference out of their own pocket and I'll buy here. They always shut up pretty quickly.

Two car dealers, same product, same everything; do you buy from the one who charges a grand more?

Here is one for you. Would you alienate a "user" if he had some good information to pass along that you needed?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Most smart shoppers including businesses do, especially in our competitive world.

The only guy benefiting is the business owner. The money is better in my pocket than his. When a local whines that I am buying stateside, I just tell them to make up the dollar difference out of their own pocket and I'll buy here. They always shut up pretty quickly.

Two car dealers, same product, same everything; do you buy from the one who charges a grand more?

Here is one for you. Would you alienate a "user" if he had some good information to pass along that you needed?
I buy from the one that provides me with better service and value. regardless of price, within reason.

That store owner that you want him to make the difference has a mortar and brick store to pay for, employees, taxes, etc. All that so you can walk in, open the boxes, try things, tell him that you can buy it cheaper on the internet, and leave. That's why he probably shuts up. He's just being polite.

If everybody thought the same way as you do, there would be no more stores /businesses for you to walk in, browse, and test products, we'd be buying everything from the web, cheap, all the way from China directly delivered to your door.

Let's bring this back into context, we are talking about $17 after all, right?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Sadly, Sergio, the answer is "yes".
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Sadly, Sergio, the answer is "yes".
Sad indeed!!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:10 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

I buy from the one that provides me with better service and value. regardless of price, within reason.
And that I get when buying stateside. Far too many businesses up here have the attitude that they are doing you a favor. Many of us have had it with that.

That store owner that you want him to make the difference has a mortar and brick store to pay for, employees, taxes, etc.
I wasn't referring to a store owner; I was referring to local forum members up here with their heads stuck in the sand that get so bent out of joint where I shop, like its any of their effing business.

As for operating costs, so do all businesses, even the ones I deal with.

All that so you can walk in, open the boxes, try things, tell him that you can buy it cheaper on the internet, and leave.
I don't do that! But I did give one the option of meeting the price on a ~$1000 order because prices were close. He did, after a lot of pondering...and we're talking 10%.

If everybody thought the same way as you do, there would be no more stores /businesses for you to walk in, browse, and test products.
I do not need to test a Porsche part or a bottle of Mobil 1. They are free to also get into the mail order business or to compete.

You don't run a business, by the way?

I'm not renewing!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

I do run a business, but a service oriented one. I don't have a store front, but I do understand about business costs and how business need to make a profit to exist to provide a service/product to you.

As far as for you renewing. No need to tell us, I wasn't expecting you to. Why should you? You can get everything you need from here for free.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
Yes, I can summarize.
If you become a member you will not:

4.Will be helping a poor billion dollar company stay in business.
So, since you're living off the land in your adobe hut and driving your Porsche on the wooden tires you made by hand, you must be banking some money-hopefully in a SMALL local institution-by not supporting ANY billion $ companies.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

You are a wise & enlightened person,....

That store owner that you want him to make the difference has a mortar and brick store to pay for, employees, taxes, etc. All that so you can walk in, open the boxes, try things, tell him that you can buy it cheaper on the internet, and leave. That's why he probably shuts up. He's just being polite.
True words.

If everybody thought the same way as you do, there would be no more stores /businesses for you to walk in, browse, and test products, we'd be buying everything from the web, cheap, all the way from China directly delivered to your door.
Unfortunately, thats close to the truth.

Not EVERYONE in the Porsche business drives late model cars (or motorcycles) and lives in a grand house. With some exceptions, its not the cash cow that many folks believe it to be. Many people such as myself receive gratification and great personal satisfaction from working in this industry since its both a good deal of fun and rewarding by helping people achieve their objectives and enjoyment from their cars.

Any business providing a service (including parts) requires sufficient profit to cover the overhead and provide a little sufficient capital for the equipment required to do the job.

These businesses also comprise the deepest knowledge base and experience when someone needs assistance, service, and parts. If this has little or no value to someone, certainly thats the best argument to shop at the lowest price points.

Naturally, its JMHO,.....

(this thread has kinda jumped the tracks, however I felt that a general response about perceived value was needed)

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 03-28-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
You are a wise & enlightened person,....
Thank you sir!

You give me too much credit.

I'm just tired of hearing people whine about spending a few bucks to get something back.

As Ray Calvo would have said...Dumbnuts!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, I donate to billion dollar companies all the time. I was using google to search for a product and said to myself "self, I've been using google for years and am concerned that they might start inundating me with ads." So I hit paypal and sent them $25. That should stop future ads from popping up.

Next I went to yahoo and said "even though there are ads on the site, they might put up more if I dont send them $20 (I donated less this time since I prefer google and would rather they remain on top). So I...

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
So, since you're living off the land in your adobe hut and driving your Porsche on the wooden tires you made by hand, you must be banking some money-hopefully in a SMALL local institution-by not supporting ANY billion $ companies.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
You're right, I donate to billion dollar companies all the time. I was using google to search for a product and said to myself "self, I've been using google for years and am concerned that they might start inundating me with ads." So I hit paypal and sent them $25. That should stop future ads from popping up.

Next I went to yahoo and said "even though there are ads on the site, they might put up more if I dont send them $20 (I donated less this time since I prefer google and would rather they remain on top). So I...
I referred to purchases of any kind. You seem to have a problem with Capitalism.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

This has gone so far out in left field.....although it is entertaining.

IB runs the site for profit. Take the word "Membership" out of "Membership Fee". They charge the "Fee" if you want access to OT and Classifieds (should be called an "OT and Classifieds Fee" frankly but IB is smart and introduces "Membership" into it so people feel loved). I was a "Member" before but didnt pay the "Fee" again when it came time to renew as I didnt use the services they were charging for. If I do then I will once again pay for it.

We are all "Members". The "Fee" has nothing to do with Membership nor artists, nor museums nor any other the other strange things people have used to defend their Membership Fee or lack thereof

However, keep at it as it makes for good reading at lunch.......

Quick Reply: Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.