Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just Sold My Boxster S. Looking for another 993! Go to page 3.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just Sold My Boxster S. Looking for another 993! Go to page 3.

As some of you may know, I recently sold my E46 M3 daily and have been in search of a replacement with some actual semblance of steering feel. I really wanted another air-cooled car (964 or 993), but came to the realization that I'd instantly compare it to my current 993 and subsequently want to start modifying to "correct" it's shortcomings. In other words, it would be the slippery slope all over again and I'd end up with another car that I'd worry about leaving in a parking lot.

The M96 cars have some serious issues but they are soooo cheap now, I figured I'd take the risk. So, for half the cost of a decent 120K mile 993, I bought this 46K mile 2000 Boxster S in my favorite Porsche color (Ocean Blue).

Random impressions thus far:

- No IMS/RMS leaks, but we'll be changing the IMS bearing very shortly along with the water pump (both known to self destruct and destroy the engine). The transmission is easy to remove in the Boxster.
- The S engine is relatively fast - 964 fast
- 6 speed has proper gearing, but no shift feel (cable shifter)
- Fantastic handling AND ride. Really impressive (my E46 M3 rode like an ox cart)
- Great A/C
- Ugly dashboard and door panels
- Ugly headlights
- Pretty rear end styling
- Useless analog speedo (25 mph increments)
- Fantastic brakes
- Porsche steering!!!!
- Fantastic handling
- Typical convertible cowl shake, squeaks and rattles (I don't like convertibles, but unfortunately 46K mile $13K 911s or Caymans are really hard to find).
- Normal maintenance items are easy to service. However, no thought was put into replacement/service of a number of items which unfortunately fail on Boxsters. The coolant tank, for instance, is the most idiotic design I've ever seen in a car. The car was clearly designed solely for ease of factory assembly.
- Lots of storage with 2 trunks
- Quiet - too quiet unless you're on it.
- An incredible value
- Good MPG

I love my 993 more than ever

Cheers,
Joe
Attached Images   

Last edited by JM993; 03-11-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe,

Congrats on the addition! Great looking Boxster. Appears we move in similar directions.

Headed your way tomorrow. Coming into to San Fran to do the Alcatraz Tri on Sunday. Then the wifey and I are spending the rest of the week bumming our way from the bay down the coast to LA. Can we have one of your cars instead of the Thrifty POS we have rented?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Joe, congrats! That is a nice looking ride.
You know I can do something for you in the muffler department on that thing :-)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Rinty
Drifting

...we'll be changing the IMS bearing...JM993
Are ypu installing the Jake Raby / LN Engineering kit?

Have fun!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Congrats, Joe!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks great Joe! Love the color combo.

I've also been considering them, and might spring for the newer version >mid 2006 without the IMS issue. Nice complement to the 993 coupe.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, that's a great looking car - congrats! I've got almost the same exact thing except for cashmere interior. It's an incredible value for the car you get, and the ride and handling are awesome.

You're right about the coolant reservoir. I noticed some anti-freeze on my garage floor near the right trunk area a couple of years ago and traced it to the reservoir tank. I think Porsche has been fighting this flaw for a while because when I replaced mine, if I remember right, the tank was on revision 9!

Another pretty common failure is the Air Oil Separator. Pretty easy to tell when this is going bad by the amount of smoke on start-up. It's a lot easier to replace than the coolant tank.

The previous owner had the IMS/RMS issue taken care of under warranty, and except for the two issues I mentioned, my car with 110k miles on it has been rock solid reliable. Two things I have on my to-do list this summer are the water pump, and a swap out of the convertible top and frame for the 2003 version that has the glass rear window. I picked it up for $1k a couple months ago and should have it on in the next week or so. It's supposed to be an easy 3 bolt, couple beer job...

Anyway, enjoy the car!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

While I don't have one I certainly wouldn't kick one out of the garage. She looks nice, love the color combo.

Enjoy it in good health!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
You're right about the coolant reservoir. I noticed some anti-freeze on my garage floor near the right trunk area a couple of years ago and traced it to the reservoir tank. I think Porsche has been fighting this flaw for a while because when I replaced mine, if I remember right, the tank was on revision 9!

Another pretty common failure is the Air Oil Separator. Pretty easy to tell when this is going bad by the amount of smoke on start-up. It's a lot easier to replace than the coolant tank.
944s had both of these issues as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Congrates. They are great cars. You can't compare it to the 993, but in there own way they are great. Dump the standard headlights and get the litronic ones. They were a $1070 option when new. I also swapped the top for an '03 top with a glass rear window and changed out the taillight for '03s without the amber.

I bought it new in '01 and loaded it with options. It only has 18,800 miles on it and the IMS issue is always on my mine.

Enjoy.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice ... I actually bought a new Boxster in 01, only lasted a few months with it before I traded it for a 95 Carrera 4, I needed my air cooled fix. But to have both cars in the garage, that's a great call.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Only $13K for a car with 46K miles....sounds like a great deal!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Joe,

Congrats on the addition! Great looking Boxster. Appears we move in similar directions.

Headed your way tomorrow. Coming into to San Fran to do the Alcatraz Tri on Sunday. Then the wifey and I are spending the rest of the week bumming our way from the bay down the coast to LA. Can we have one of your cars instead of the Thrifty POS we have rented?
Just an aside: Post Ranch Inn for dinner in Big Sur at sunset www.postranchinn.com

Enjoy the trip.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Was considering this ploy myself at some point. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Congrates. They are great cars. You can't compare it to the 993, but in there own way they are great. Dump the standard headlights and get the litronic ones. They were a $1070 option when new. I also swapped the top for an '03 top with a glass rear window and changed out the taillight for '03s without the amber.

I bought it new in '01 and loaded it with options. It only has 18,800 miles on it and the IMS issue is always on my mine.

Enjoy.
I thought I heard that with the glass rear window it makes access to the engine from the top far more difficult? Any truth?

Quick Reply: Just Sold My Boxster S. Looking for another 993! Go to page 3.