Sponsored by: DashLynx

Am I paying too Much?? 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

This has been discussed in great depth over the past 10 -15 years and there are numerous posts on it. 36K miles is no low....I would not worry unless it was under 10K and there were no service records showing regular use. Low miles is just fine....no use is bad. Plenty of detailed posts from indie mechanics and knowledgeable people...look them up before buying.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:28 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bavarian06
Be careful when buying low mileage cars. Often times people just drove them to run errands and caused a clogged SAI ($2-4K fix). These engines are well built and meant to be driven hard. There is a white c4s with 36k miles for $46k on autotrader. But from the sound if it (from the owner), the car was driven granny style.
I swear sometimes I feel like the SAI police... NOT A $2-$4K FIX!!! If they are just clogged it's a few hundred bucks to clean them out.

However, if you have worn valve guides (not super likely on a low mileage car) and need a top end rebuild it's closer to $6K-$8K.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please share what shop is willing to perform any type of work on our car for a few hundred bucks. They charge just that much to inspect it, let alone work on it.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just do a search on SAI (SAI cleaning, etc) you'll find several folks who had their ports cleaned for less than $1,000 ($700 range if memory serves) ... I did the SAI cleaning as a DIY for just the cost of a new Check Valve and a few odds and ends.
The only reason I chimed in on this is that I see people being scared away from OBDII cars due to a lot if mis-information about SAI port issues. It's just not that big a problem, unless of course, you have worn valve guides, but the point is that the valve guides are the problem, clogged SAI is just an easily remedied condition in most cases.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:04 AM
CROME
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compression check

each cylinder on a compression check should
read 205-210 psi

make sure you no lower than these numbers.....or
you have to deal with ..valve or rings problems...big money$$$$
Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I do not think you can be that accurate, it's the relative values per cylinder that is a indicator of wear, not the absolute. That is because of the accuracy between the gauges, how people setup the test, etc. The trick is to use the same test sequence for each cylinder.

Sure, the pressure should be reasonable, say higher than 150, but to say it should be no lower than 205, if it is then reject the car, that does not sound right. I would say a 2 - 5% variance between cylinders is normal, but if its 10% then big warning flags go up.

Just my humble opinion!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Am I paying too Much?? 993 C4S