Sponsored by: DashLynx

Am I paying too Much?? 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 AM
rhinomd11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I paying too Much?? 993 C4S

My first Porsche. I really like this 993 C4S for sale with 35K miles. 1996 year. Looks like excellent condition from photo's. Short on the options list. 6 speed, Black over Tan.

Price is 51K. Too me that's a little high. dealer won't move on price. I can buy a local 997 C2S for that price with 25K miles. But I like the 993 body style. What to do? Just wondering out loud if I should pass and keep looking.

Thanks in advance-
Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

They are a bit high, but the car has low miles. These cars can take time to find the right buy....shop around for a while and you will get a better idea on how much they cost.

And yes, you can get a dirt cheap 996, even cheaper than a 997 ... but they are NOT a 993. There are reasons the 993's are more expensive even if they are older. I would not buy a 993 solely on the body style, you have to appreciate that they are air/oil cooled.

If you really want that specific car, I would wave a cheque for $45K under his nose and see if they will take it, and they might unless there is something special about the car you are looking at that demands a higher price.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-11-2011, 04:07 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

in any market , including the US, an all original car with no accidents en 100% original paint will demand a premium. If this car is such I think it will sell for asking. Up to you if you want to be the buyer.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Bobby G
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Without more information (# of owners, paperwork, whether it's truly mint, exact options, where it's been driven, etc.), it's hard to say, but my impression is that $51K is high. If it checks out to your liking, and it's local, I would say counter at $46K and pay no more than $48K, but it sounds like you have some more homework to do on the vehicle.

And you shouldn't compare this to a 996 or 997, because they have held their value differently. 993s are special for a reason.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

What did the PPI come back with?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that is too high... for that color combo (nothing wrong with it, but not one of the more "high demand" combos...i.e. silver/black,e tc.), and 96, not 98, etc. I would expect $45-50k. So, maybe he is about $5k over what you should spend...

having said all this, if YOU have been seeking that color combo and having a hard time finding it, and if you think this is a great clean car, then what is $5k vs. your time to continue hunting for who knows how long?

ask me how I know...
Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a tad high. High 40's would be really best but as stated above, what's another few grand if it is the exact car you want, especiially with those miles?? Not easy to find.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts

I think its much too high. For that price it should at least be perfect for what you want. When I bought mine now over 7 years ago I bought it because of condition and miles, believing the options were less important. Later learned that some of those options were spending to recreate (litronics for example) and also necessary (the HID lights especially). Others such as motorsound exhaust and sport suspension/sways also very very nice to have or expensive to recreate. Finally interior, not just color but full vs. partial leather. If you are going to pay very near top of the price scale just be sure its just what YOU want as Jonathan said - if its perfect for you, price doesn't matter much. Just don't underestimate some of the value (to you and long term ownership) of some of those options in particular in your quest to find the car for you. There are many porsches out there and the differences between a well cared for 35K miles vs. 50k miles is pretty insignificant.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

too high, especially if the options list is short. I would think in today's market a good C4s could be had for low to mid 40's via private sale.
I would guess at 35K the top end probably hasn't been done, although if the valve guides have been replaced, that would add another premium.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 AM
rhinomd11
Intermediate

Thanks for all the reply's. I have offered 47K, then 49K. The luxury car dealer wouldn't move, but finally did do 50K flat. Black over Tan is actually my favorite color combo.

Not sure if it's full leather, it appears so. And I thought the 4S that year came with a sport suspension. I may be wrong though.

Also, for a 35K mile car, what maintenence should be done? 30K check? And what about the top end and valve's? Do these to be done at 30K? Or just looked at? It sounds as if I need a mechanic to do a look over? And I don't live near the car at all. Would have it shipped down enclosed after/if I buy it.

The car is at this dealership. www.lawautosport.com

I'm leaning towards paying the 50K. lol-
Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To give you an idea in November 2009 in midst of a diving market I bought my c4s with about 45k miles for $47k. The seller advertised at $50k. It was my favorite color, clean history, clean ppi, and good documentation. 3 most significant factory options: hardback sport seats, litronics, and hifi sound. After market mods: pps10, b&b headers, supercups. I started with ridiculously low offers in the high 30's, at the end the seller knew what he had and I knew what I wanted. Only was able to shave off 3 grand.

As other's have said I recommend you shop around and get a good feel for the market. I don't think this car if all checks out is worth the 51K and given the average mark up on 993's it's a bit high but no so bad.

On a good note 993's are holding decently strong in a bad economy. Inevitably versions of 996 and 997 will continue to decline, particulary with 998 around the corner. Hard to portray unbiased but for a long list of reasons it's my strong opinion later generations will never be what the 993 will always be.

Best of luck on your search and keep us posted.

--T
Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!! Look at this statement on their site; "Our purpose is very simple; we sell our hand picked cars at near wholesale prices to the public" . That takes a lot of gall and arrogance to state that. They are not even remotely close to wholesale.

Rhinomd11, I would look at the car in person if you are going to pay that much. Drive it home. I went to Philly to get mine and drove it home. Others have similar stories with even greater distances. It is a great 'bonding' moment and a memory that lasts forever. As far as 'needs' go with your 35k miles car, it should need NOTHING!! Not for that money. The 30k service should have been completed. Every facet of maintenance should be completed. Don't even talk top end or valve stuff at 35k. That is complete silliness unless the car can't pass a smog test in your state. Do some searching and find the post about owners having these wonderful cars with no top end rebuild at 100,000+ miles. There are over 100 responses and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Not all owners post here, not even close.
Best of luck to you, and if you get the car, enjoy the delightful ownership experience!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
Wow!! Look at this statement on their site; "Our purpose is very simple; we sell our hand picked cars at near wholesale prices to the public" . That takes a lot of gall and arrogance to state that. They are not even remotely close to wholesale.

Rhinomd11, I would look at the car in person if you are going to pay that much. Drive it home. I went to Philly to get mine and drove it home. Others have similar stories with even greater distances. It is a great 'bonding' moment and a memory that lasts forever. As far as 'needs' go with your 35k miles car, it should need NOTHING!! Not for that money. The 30k service should have been completed. Every facet of maintenance should be completed. Don't even talk top end or valve stuff at 35k. That is complete silliness unless the car can't pass a smog test in your state. Do some searching and find the post about owners having these wonderful cars with no top end rebuild at 100,000+ miles. There are over 100 responses and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Not all owners post here, not even close.
Best of luck to you, and if you get the car, enjoy the delightful ownership experience!

from reading other posts here, wholesale is a subjective term. Dealer may not be able to buy at or near KBB wholesale.?? would anyone here be willing to take KBB wholesale?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:27 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a nice clean car ... or a freshly detailed one.

Doesn't look like full leather. Get a PPI done, make sure they read the codes to make sure the readiness flags are set, the check engine light bulb is working and there are no SAI errors. Pay attention to the things that might cost you money as soon as you buy the car ... 30k service, brakes, tires, clutch, suspension condition, oil leaks, AC. It's all too easy to drop a few thousand bucks just putting the car into driveable shape, which can be a problem if you're already paying top dollar for the car.

When you've owned a lot of these cars, you realize that walking away from a good car that's exactly what you want because it might be overpriced by a few thousand bucks is something you eventually regret when you settle for something less. Just make sure the car is in perfect mechanical condition, especially at this price.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
rhinomd11
Intermediate

Pardon my ignorance. But what does PPI stand for? And does anyone have a good mechanic in the Chicago area they could recommend? Being such low miles and the very clean look of the car, I assume the car is in great shape. The car has been living in Calif. and Arizona since birth.

Quick Reply: Am I paying too Much?? 993 C4S