Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need a clean like this

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I need a clean like this

Gotta find someone local here to do a wash like this for me.
993's are just so beautiful.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. After watching that I think my car definitely needs some TLC.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

problem is, you put that kind of effort into cleaning it, then you don't want to drive it.
I love the color of that car though.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I gotta suck it up and buy an orbital buffer and some product from Griots including the video on how to achieve those results on my own.

My paint was that perfect 3.5 years ago when I bought my car.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah me too. I've always done my cars by hand and its quite a job. More than a little nervous that I'll burn the paint.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the random orbitals, i do not think you can burn the paint
Old 07-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Raleigh993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
I think I gotta suck it up and buy an orbital buffer and some product from Griots including the video on how to achieve those results on my own.

My paint was that perfect 3.5 years ago when I bought my car.
My Uncle thought your paint was outstanding in January. The prior prior owner on mine was Griot guy and included a random orbital with the car. I haven't used it yet but I noticed a couple of areas that need some TLC (mostly a little rub off from the bra during the trip home). I've done a bit of research and there are a lot of good videos showing the right way but I'm still a little apprehensive.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Guys that is a pretty standard detail, & that car needed it badly.

Sadly, most people think their paint is in great shape, but truth is most are like this car before. Most cars need a polish every 12-18 months. If you do it regularly, you only need a light polish done.

You will NOT get these results with the Griot's, or any other orbital machine. You need a rotary, & good polish.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The video was a DA for the entire job. The DA's don't burn. I was terrified of trying it out, but then did. Its 'almost' impossible to burn the paint. the bigger worry is actually scratching it on the edge of the sander. If you go down this road (another great slippery slope I guess for our ****-retentative bunch), then make sure you get pads that protect the edges of the velcro bottom of the DA.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with a random orbit polisher you cant really burn the paint. i got 90% of the defects out of my paint and i need to get a more aggressive polish to the get the last bit. Paint correction gets to be very addictive.....
Old 07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
mazetto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did that to my car two weeks ago using Griots product. Came out great.

I like to do it every year.
It's like therapy. Me in the garage, game on, no wife, no kids..... heaven.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:37 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I was retired and without 2 kids vying for constant attention, I would still do all this by hand, with q-tips. That is what I used to do. These days, I have found religion around having "a guy" that is attentive as I would be. He spends on average 3 days with the car. Tapes it off, takes his time, very careful, etc. It comes back like it is dripping with wet paint. Does the door jambs, everything. Have this done once per year, and handle the other times in between yourself. Worth it.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had outstanding luck on mine with a Porter Cable and the Menzerna line of products.
You simply cannot believe how much of a change it is when you do it.

A lot of the stuff you see taken out is from poor washing techniques, or a quick wash here and there. That does so much damage to the paint its unbelievable. No sense in doing the detail if you aren't going to change how you clean it (assuming you put the swirls/holograms/spider webs in there and not a previous owner)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:25 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Had outstanding luck on mine with a Porter Cable and the Menzerna line of products.
You simply cannot believe how much of a change it is when you do it.

A lot of the stuff you see taken out is from poor washing techniques, or a quick wash here and there. That does so much damage to the paint its unbelievable. No sense in doing the detail if you aren't going to change how you clean it (assuming you put the swirls/holograms/spider webs in there and not a previous owner)
true for sure.

but once you or someone else has made the car perfect, you should be able to maintain it with really good shampoo and cleaning techniques, some spray polish, etc. At least that has been my experience.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by levtron
The video was a DA for the entire job. The DA's don't burn. I was terrified of trying it out, but then did. Its 'almost' impossible to burn the paint. the bigger worry is actually scratching it on the edge of the sander. If you go down this road (another great slippery slope I guess for our ****-retentative bunch), then make sure you get pads that protect the edges of the velcro bottom of the DA.
It's a rotary. You can't polish a panel that fast with a DA & get that kind of results. You don't use a DA like he was in the video. With a DA you work a smaller area, & hold it in the place much, much longer.

Your pads should be at least 1in larger then the backing plate. If you have a Porter Cable DA, get the vented backing plate, your pads will last longer, & you are less likely to throw a pad off the backing plate. Don't use the handle with the DA. Put your hand right on the head of the DA much more even pressure & control that way. Plus you will never hit the handle on the car, & can get into much smaller areas.

With a DA & most Menzerna polishes you have to work the area for a much longer time to break down all the abrasives. If you don't work the panel long enough it will worse then when you started. Be careful using anything over the light polishes (85,106, FPII). Use white, green, or lighter pad, use a small amount, you want the product to flash over to a oily residue. When using SIP, IP, or PG, use a orange or yellow pad, work one panel till things are dusting, & about to go dry.

You can burn paint with a DA, you just have to WANT to burn paint to do so.

I'm in the camp, that you have a good pro polish the car every 12-18 months, then you do the maintenance.

Quick Reply: I need a clean like this