Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where are the Boxster Owners???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sorryyy thatt ii cantg type too gooodd. just had m y nails donee..
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
R2R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
sorryyy thatt ii cantg type too gooodd. just had m y nails donee..
You'll have to work on that...
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
whats sad is that all the fools here are missing out on what is a fantastic sports car, perhaps a better one even than the 993, for a fantastic bargain, because they are too insecure to recognize a great car past some stupid stereotypes.
Well, now I feel bad about my "limp wrist" comment earlier.

Now, your comment I quoted above is kinda correct, and kinda incorrect.

Actually, and I really mean no offense to anyone (seriously), but to me, the Boxster just looks very feminine to me, and that's one of the main reasons I don't like it. In fact, most small cars can appear to be somewhat feminine to my eye (Mercedes SLK series, etc.). One of the things I always loved about the 911 series, it was the only smaller car that didn't come across as girly/feminine to me.

Now, is it feminine? Nope. That's just what I see when I see it; what I consider to be girly. Someone else could see the same car totally differently.

I also see, (what I project on to) the Cayman/Boxster is the lesser priced, less capable car, compared to the Carrera line. It would be hard for me own a car built by the manufacturer that considers this their "lesser" also ran car. I don't wanna buy any manufacturer's second place car.

I know the Boxster S is probably more capable than my 993. But I much prefer the looks of the 993, and it doesn't appear feminine to me at all.

The Boxster S is a fine and capable sports car.

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 07-22-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
LMFAO, do you really think thats true?
keep laughing, because its true

Better platform, lighter weight (convertible to convertible, coupe to coupe), similar power in S version (987), etc etc.

The boxster handles better in stock form. Laugh, cry, or whatever, its true.

The 911 is a 100% flawed design that has been worked on for so long that it can perform well.

A caymen or boxster with a GT3 motor and GT3 style suspension would be the best road going sports car ever produced by porsche.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Well, now I feel bad about my "limp wrist" comment earlier.

Now, your comment I quoted above is kinda correct, and kinda incorrect.

Actually, and I really mean no offense to anyone (seriously), but to me, the Boxster just looks very feminine to me, and that's one of the main reasons I don't like it. In fact, most small cars can appear to be somewhat feminine to my eye (Mercedes SLK series, etc.). One of the things I always loved about the 911 series, it was the only smaller car that didn't come across as girly/feminine to me.

Now, is it feminine? Nope. That's just what I see when I see it; what I consider to be girly. Someone else could see the same car totally differently.

I also see, (what I project on to) the Cayman/Boxster is the lesser priced, less capable car, compared to the Carrera line. It would be hard for me own a car built by the manufacturer that considers this their "lesser" also ran car. I don't wanna buy any manufacturer's second place car.

I know the Boxster S is probably more capable than my 993. But I much prefer the looks of the 993, and it doesn't appear feminine to me at all.

The Boxster S is a fine and capable sports car.
You can have your opinion about the looks, thats fine.

But dismissing the car because you think its girly is lame. You don't have to buy one, but at least acknowledge that its a great sports car. Guess what, a mazda miata is fantastic sports car, but there is always some tool who thinks its a homo car and would never drive one. pathetic.

If the box/cay had a bit more horsepower, I would absolutely buy one...but thats coming from a turbo
Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
A caymen or boxster with a GT3 motor and GT3 style suspension would be the best road going sports car ever produced by porsche.
True. And if you think Porsche would ever let their second best performing car (Cayman/Boxster) be better performing than their best performing car (Carrera), then you're as foolish as someone who thinks that only homos buy Miatas.

There's nothing foolish about dismissing a car because it's girlie. I can choose to think any car is whatever I think it is. Doesn't make it girlie for someone else and doesn't mean it's not a great performer. But I sure as hell can think it's girlie.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
True. And if you think Porsche would ever let their second best performing car (Cayman/Boxster) be better performing than their best performing car (Carrera), then you're as foolish as someone who thinks that only homos buy Miatas.

There's nothing foolish about dismissing a car because it's girlie. I can choose to think any car is whatever I think it is. Doesn't make it girlie for someone else and doesn't mean it's not a great performer. But I sure as hell can think it's girlie.
I know they won't build it, and I think its pathetic. Why hamstring a superior platform? Then again, I'm not all that impressed with porsche these days anyway, but I digress.

At the end of the day, you're free to do what you want. I'm not a communist. If you want to think every boxster should be painted hot pink and sold only to women, thats your business. I tend to think the 993 is a bit girly, but thats my opinion (and since i don't care, I bought one anyway). Had I dismissed it, I would have missed an enjoyable car.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

I just took the Boxster S out yesterday and today. It is not a 993, but it is a great car.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 PM
gwc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting

As a owner of both I have to weigh in. Have a 993 cause it to me is the last of the mohecians....It reminds me of my 1968 911 and all that is good in a 911. Nothing in the 911 lineup since 1998 does it for me (not speaking of GT3, track cars, etc). That is why I have a 95 993. Could have bought a 997 but wanted a 993.

Also have a boxster spyder currently on a boat somewhere in the atlantic. I bought the car because it too feels like a real sports car. I drove a 2012 911 at the dealer before I drove the spyder they also had in stock. No comparison for me. The spyder had so much more sports car feel, emotion, etc. The 997 was just too "soft", just too nice for my taste. I think the world is big enough of all of em, but to call a boxster demeaning names and such, well one should really try on a spyder, you might be suprised, I know I was and I never would have considerd a boxster prior to the spyder. I have a new respect for the platform. Enough respect I bought one and the choice between the 997 and spyder was not close for me.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I have no idea where the notion of a Boxster being a chick car ever came up. I've seen hundreds of boxsters but never have I seen a woman driving one. I did see a woman driving a 996 Turbo yesterday, however.
I was living in the Bay Area when the 986 Boxster was launched, and it seemed that most purchasers were women. And during the dot com boom, every silicon valley type had a friday car - and most mid-level corporate women's friday car was either a boxster or the newly launched MB CLK convertible. I wish I had taken pictures for proof, but the parking lot at work on Fridays was almost commical with Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, MBs and Astons....

I agree with Quadcammer that the Boxster is the superior platform. For those that remember, it was the topic of some contentious threads on Rennlist back in 2005/2006 when everyone wondered if Porsche would eventually put the "new" 996 GT3's engine in the soon-to-be-released Cayman - essentially destroying the 911's heritage. I had a dot-com friend who actually PUT a GT3 engine (Fahrnbaker-Loles) in his new Cayman S (occasionally Rennlister back in the day) and proceeded to use it to compete in "One Lap of America" sponsored by Tire Rack at the time.... That car was a beast!

WRT Porsche owners that either wave or flash the lights...... Cayennes never, Boxsters, 996s and 997s occassionally, Caymans a bit more - 993s and prior 911s BY FAR the most often... One caveat - I get ample attention from Porsche owners when I drive my 964 and 996 GT3. However, when I am in my 997 MOST Porsche drivers simply ignore me....

In my old SC in the early 90s MOST Porsche owners would wave and smile. Times have most definitely changed.... IMHO, Porsches have become "soft" since the 993 (the 944/968 were definitely not soft) and new buyers have joined the ranks. It used to be a badge of courage to try and tame the late 70s/early 80s turbos - and if the driver screwed up, they ended up bent around a tree! "Race car for the street" was how a buddies dad introduced his 911 to me as a kid. I was "in" at that point...

-Blake
Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gwc
Interesting

As a owner of both I have to weigh in. Have a 993 cause it to me is the last of the mohecians....It reminds me of my 1968 911 and all that is good in a 911. Nothing in the 911 lineup since 1998 does it for me (not speaking of GT3, track cars, etc). That is why I have a 95 993. Could have bought a 997 but wanted a 993.

Also have a boxster spyder currently on a boat somewhere in the atlantic. I bought the car because it too feels like a real sports car. I drove a 2012 911 at the dealer before I drove the spyder they also had in stock. No comparison for me. The spyder had so much more sports car feel, emotion, etc. The 997 was just too "soft", just too nice for my taste. I think the world is big enough of all of em, but to call a boxster demeaning names and such, well one should really try on a spyder, you might be suprised, I know I was and I never would have considerd a boxster prior to the spyder. I have a new respect for the platform. Enough respect I bought one and the choice between the 997 and spyder was not close for me.
The Boxster Spyder is an insanely great car. I got to drive one back to back with 997s of all sorts, a Boxster S, and a Cayman R at the recent Porsche Roadshow in Atlanta. Hands down the Spyder was my favorite. Lithe and agile compared to all the others - yes, even to the Cayman R, which I think has what, 10 more hp? The weight savings and the lower center of gravity can really be felt. You're gonna love your new car!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:34 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Boxster is a good Porsche.......the topic started about lack of traffic on Boxster forum which is generated by people not the car............

Grand assumption was that Boxsters may have a higher percentage of people that are not CAR GUYS or Gals versus 911 owners....and that they could care less about the Porsche heritage or camaraderie due to lack of waving back to fellow P-car owners............that was a stab at the possible why.......there must be a reason?

Boxsters with their mid engine balance are great to drive and handle fantastically in the right hands......
Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gwc
Interesting

Glad to see you bought the Spyder - it is truly a special car.

There was a great thread over on the 997 GT3 board that evolved into a discussion about the best street Porsches... The editor of Excellence Magazine among others chimed in, and the Spyder gets significant respect.... Great read.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-gt3-3-9l.html

-B
Old 07-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://986forum.com/forums/

Boxster is an awesome car. I was planning on selling mine when I bought the 993. That was 3 or 4 years ago and I just can't bring myself to part with it. There are those that know, and those that call it a girly man car. So be it...
Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

I agree that the Boxster Spyder looks much better and may be the best Porsche out there at the moment.

One can still think a car looks feminine and not for me, and still think it's a fantastic performance car for someone else
Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

My next p-car will most likely be a 987 S. I think it would be a perfect compliment to the C4S.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Where are the Boxster Owners???