Sponsored by: DashLynx

is this oil leak bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:23 AM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this oil leak bad?

Had a PPI done today and took these pics. Shop says oil leak is common on these cars as always and the severity of the leaks is actually not bad 8/10 10 being best. The only concern is the transmission leak which is not common. What do you think? Any other problems your trained eyes can see? The engine only have 37k miles btw. Thanks.
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not bad at all. You need new plug wires and that is one of the worst jobs I've ever done. The leak at the chain cover is nothing to worry about. Snug the bolts a little and keep an eye on it. Might as well do plugs, plug wires and lower valve cover gaskets all at the same time. This is a solid full day in the garage if you DIY it all.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like a broken spark plug wire on the #3 wire. Maybe just some crud on the wire?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:53 AM
hchc
Instructor

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Looks like a broken spark plug wire on the #3 wire. Maybe just some crud on the wire?
Good eyes..I didn't notice until now. No wonder power is missing a little, maybe its misfiring or not firing at all?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No wonder power is missing a little, maybe its misfiring or not firing at all?
Given the twin plug set-up on 993s I doubt one bad lead would cause a miss. That said the leads still should be replaced if there are cracked/broken leads.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 455 Posts

You should thoroughly degrease your engine (engine compartment and underside) as well as the transmission in order to determine what the rate is of the leak. Its a messy job, but someone has to do it.

If that ignition wire is broken, you definitely need a new set of wires. But don't worry, you do not need to spend some $450 for a complete set; you can just replace all 14 wires themselves for $135 because the spark plug caps and suppression caps don't age. Mine were still like new; the rubber was as pliable as the day they came off the production line as can be seen in the following pic with my replacement Beru Silicone Copper Cables...

As for the valve cover leaks, all you need are a new set of valve cover seals. I replaced them on all 4 valve covers; they are bone dry! There is talk that the OEM Porsche valve covers warp and that you need billet aluminium valve covers to stop all leaks...I highly doubt the OEM covers leak and I've never been responded to when I ask by how much they warped.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Given the twin plug set-up on 993s I doubt one bad lead would cause a miss.
In his case it has a good chance of not firing because the ignition lead break is right next to a valve cover screw...a ground.

But having the OEM plastic covers where you might have breaks in the ignition cable is a plus; there is far less chance of a misfire as compared to using billet aluminum valve covers.

In any case, those wires are shot if that is a break.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

That looks a little rough for a 37kmi car.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:41 PM
hchc
Instructor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
You should thoroughly degrease your engine (engine compartment and underside) as well as the transmission in order to determine what the rate is of the leak. Its a messy job, but someone has to do it.

If that ignition wire is broken, you definitely need a new set of wires. But don't worry, you do not need to spend some $450 for a complete set; you can just replace all 14 wires themselves for $135 because the spark plug caps and suppression caps don't age. Mine were still like new; the rubber was as pliable as the day they came off the production line as can be seen in the following pic with my replacement Beru Silicone Copper Cables...

As for the valve cover leaks, all you need are a new set of valve cover seals. I replaced them on all 4 valve covers; they are bone dry! There is talk that the OEM Porsche valve covers warp and that you need billet aluminium valve covers to stop all leaks...I highly doubt the OEM covers leak and I've never been responded to when I ask by how much they warped.
Thanks for the links! They will come in handy. I have a target of how clean the underside I want it to be now I have decided to purchase the car. Will do a proper introduction soon
Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
That looks a little rough for a 37kmi car.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the engine's been rebuilt.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by hchc
Good eyes..I didn't notice until now. No wonder power is missing a little, maybe its misfiring or not firing at all?
Your PPI mechanic should have picked up on this...What did he say about it?

Quick Reply: is this oil leak bad?