Sponsored by: DashLynx

:::issue with (almost) over heating:::

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default :::issue with (almost) over heating:::

I hate doing this, but i searched and searched and i couldnt find my issue....

I have a 95 C2C with 114k miles. Runs spectacular. The only issue im having (if it even is one) is that the engine gets really hot in traffic. I have read that people track their car and it doesnt go past the 9 o'clock mark. The oil cooler fan runs all the time when hot but only for about 30 seconds or less at a time. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

-gabe.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries, that's about right unless you have done the oil cooler fan switch mod that allows you to turn the fan on and leave it on.

Keep in mind that cars on the track are getting LOTS of airflow into the cooler. In traffic, there is little or no airflow so you are really dependent on the fan.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend the oil cooler fan switch mod.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

^+2

do it, its cheap and easy
Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Remove the passenger side headlight and look down, you will find a plug that goes into the top of the oil cooler. It has a little clip on it that you have to depress to remove it. Remove the plug. The oil cooler fan should operate on high speed at all times.

Your oil temperature should now never get more than a hair above the first mark above the bottom double marks no matter how long you leave it idling (as inadvertently tested in 100 degree temperatures here in Texas the other day).

It's likely the fan resistor for the oil cooler has gone bad. But even if it hasn't, Porsche designed the oil cooler fan to run on the high speed only once the oil temperature gets fairly hot -- 235 or so -- and the car will have a very hard time reducing the temperature once it's that hot. It's designed to not allow the temperature to hit the second mark above the double bottom mark, which is 248 degrees. It does that well. But having it run all the time (or running a switch to it so you can turn it on in traffic) takes advantage of how efficient that oil cooler is with the fan blowing air over it.

Doesn't hurt anything to have the fan on all the time except possibly cause the fan to wear out quicker, but I've never heard of one going bad. And even if it does, to me, it's worth it to keep the oil temperatures in the sweet spot between 180-210 degrees at all times.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

thanks guys! i appreciate it! Im just not used to seeing temperature gauges go past the "middle" mark! I like the idea of the oil cooler switch mod better than having the fan running all the time. Has anyone cleaned their oil cooler? I wonder how dirty it could be, i just dont want to go through the hassle of removing the front bumper if it wont be worth it.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing I've noticed, anecdotally, is that even if the outdoor temperature is not high, if it's rained or very humid, and you're stuck in traffic, the oil temperature will rise and take a long time to come back down, even at highway speeds. That happened to me on a humid, rainy night in Boston when I was stuck idling in traffic, and it was only 65 degrees outside. So, if it's hot and humid in Miami (duh!) or you're idling after your morning thunderstorm, that's probably not helping.

The switch has the same effect as pulling the connector, so I would pull the connector first and see how your oil temperatures react. If that does not solve the problem, the issue is likely either the fan itself or possibly the thermostat that sends the oil to the oil cooler when the temperature hits 200 or so. The thermostats were known to stick on earlier 911s.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Magee
I highly recommend the oil cooler fan switch mod.
YES YES YES

Buy this 944 Emergency Switch for $16.00 shipped;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...Q5fAccessories

Follow these instructions....

http://p-car.com/diy/fanswitch/

This will keep your 993 running cool.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Don't like hot oil so...

I have the manual switch on the dash, and I had a Ruf secondary oil cooler installed by Viper Bob, back in the day, when he was in NorCal. No more worries.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:20 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another vote for the switch. It gets hot here in TN in the summer. I like being able to get the temp gauge down on demand with the switch.
chuck
Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I need to do this project. I think we're on our 45th consecutive day of 100+ deg. My a/c blows ice cold, but my oil temp gauge rarely gets above the 9:00 mark. Still need to do it. I'm lazy because my car is so reliable and hassle-free.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gaby1088
I hate doing this, but i searched and searched and i couldnt find my issue....

I have a 95 C2C with 114k miles. Runs spectacular. The only issue im having (if it even is one) is that the engine gets really hot in traffic. I have read that people track their car and it doesnt go past the 9 o'clock mark. The oil cooler fan runs all the time when hot but only for about 30 seconds or less at a time. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

-gabe.

Put your hand on the passenger front fender when it is this high. Is it much hotter than the other side? If not, you have a failed thermostat. Get it replaced asap.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
SheepHerder
Advanced

Question, if you do the switch mod will the fan still come on automatic as design? or does the fan become manual in that you always need to switch it off and on?

I’m guessing the switch is more of an emergency cool off but wanted to make sure the fan still operated automatically. I hope that was not too confusing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SheepHerder
Question, if you do the switch mod will the fan still come on automatic as design? or does the fan become manual in that you always need to switch it off and on?

I’m guessing the switch is more of an emergency cool off but wanted to make sure the fan still operated automatically. I hope that was not too confusing.

Thanks in advance.
It's still automatic. It operates this way...the sensor puts a resistance value in proportion to the the temperature. By putting in that switch and disconnecting the wire, you are giving it an infinite resistance, ie...super hot.

So the CCU thinks the sensor is giving a superhot temperature reading and kicks on the fan into high.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
User 121721
Racer

Isn't the motor designed to operate with temps between the two marks? IIRC, Porsche says there's no problem as long as the oil temp stays in that range.

Quick Reply: :::issue with (almost) over heating:::