Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OBD2 Reader: Which One...Here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 Reader: Which One...Here we go again!

Actually, my search is not as bad as it may seem on a topic that has been much kicked around I have finally gotten to the point where I want/need to have a diagnostic tool. I was about to pull the trigger on the Durametric when my wife came in and informed me the '08 Honda threw a CEL. My question is this: Can I use this with the pcar, the Honda and I guess my Integra (since the Rookie version that I'm looking at only allows three cars)? If this is not the way to go since I'm mixing Sauerkraut & Sushi, what do you sages recommend?
TIA
Old 08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

free bump. I'm interested too A fairly basic one that can read and erase codes as well as reset CEL and readiness flags without costing a bundle would be great.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:11 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only want to read codes then don't spend much money - I picked one up for $30 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEPT5G http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEPT5G

- or even better go to Autozone and don't spend any money at all.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I have an Actron 9180. it reads, erases andresets and I have used it on the Porsche, 2 Toyotas and a Mazda 3. It also monitors drive cycle (ready or not)
I think it was a little over $100 or so.

I think there are even cheaper Actrons that also do all of the above.
I am happy with my Actron
Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Got an OBD2 reader for christmas last year. Relatively cheap, good for the Honda and '04 BMW. Not good for my '95 993, which is OBD1. Even if it was, I would still get a Durametric, for the added functionality of it. Just need to increase my tool budget, and get it past the CFO!! I guess I am saying "get them both"

For the original question, I seem to recall a poster saying the durametric is p-car specific.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Durametric as well as a handheld unit (Innova 3100 - $100 at Wal-Mart). The Durametric is Porsche specific and will not help you with your other cars. However, it is nice to have for the Porsche.

The Innova 3100 can read codes, display readiness flags and reset the CEL. I carry it in the car as it is much more convenient to use. The Durametric runs on a laptop and is much more capable - as you probably know from reading on their website.

I started with the Durametric and then bought the Innova. The Durametric had a bug in version 5 (now fixed in version 6 with 993 support recently added) which was not showing the readiness flags set on my car. I could not believe they were not set and so I bought the Innova to verify that reading. I now generally use the Innova, unless I need to get data from a sensor, or some other Porsche specific reading.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
Got an OBD2 reader for Christmas last year. Relatively cheap, good for the Honda and '04 BMW. Not good for my '95 993, which is OBD1. Even if it was, I would still get a Durametric, for the added functionality of it. Just need to increase my tool budget, and get it past the CFO!! I guess I am saying "get them both"

For the original question, I seem to recall a poster saying the durametric is p-car specific.
What is the recommended unit for the 1995 993 with OBD1?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 PM
tonypai
Racer

I have the Durametric and it does good work. Unfortunately, it's a pain in the butt to hook up to a computer everytime the car throws a CEL.

So I bought the PLX Kiwi which plugs into the OBD2 and creates a mini network in the car. Downloaded the REV app onto the IPhone and I can clear my codes anytime.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

@tonypai: So the PLX is fully functional on Pcar and others? Is it software and dongle?
@deekay911: I would like to be able to see various "states and conditions" and save the info to a database of some kind so when I go crying to my independent, and can't repeat whatever I'm describing, I can show him the info so he'll know I'm not making stuff up

I have been reading about Torque on the android platform. I ordered a OBD2 Bluetooth thingie for ~$40. The software has a free version and a full version for $5. It gets really good reviews. It can monitor various temps as well as states, codes etc. Anyone here know about this?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
tonypai
Racer

The PLX is only the dongle. Software is extra and up to you. I use REV, pricey but I haven't had any problems reading any codes.

If I remember correctly, the PLX wifi only works with the iphone and the PLX bluetooth only works with android. They were working to fix that but don't know if they have or not.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Andre'
Instructor

I use the Innova OBDII reader on both the 993 and my wife's Odyssee - no problems.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:14 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver993
I have the Durametric as well as a handheld unit (Innova 3100 - $100 at Wal-Mart). The Durametric is Porsche specific and will not help you with your other cars. However, it is nice to have for the Porsche.

The Innova 3100 can read codes, display readiness flags and reset the CEL. I carry it in the car as it is much more convenient to use. The Durametric runs on a laptop and is much more capable - as you probably know from reading on their website.

I started with the Durametric and then bought the Innova. The Durametric had a bug in version 5 (now fixed in version 6 with 993 support recently added) which was not showing the readiness flags set on my car. I could not believe they were not set and so I bought the Innova to verify that reading. I now generally use the Innova, unless I need to get data from a sensor, or some other Porsche specific reading.
I have the Durametric and I don't think it is worth buying for the 993. From this post it sounds like I may need to update my SW (5.1.2) and give it another shot but recently it won't even establish communication with the 993 ECU. It has always been intermittent. I would have to restart the Durametric SW several times to get it to connect. I know it was the Durametric's failure because I have used VAGcom in OBD mode to read and clear codes with no issue. The Durametric will not code and lock the airbag CU if you need to replace that.

I did use the Durametric to diagnose the stereo failure in my wife's Boxster. The stereo went completely dead. The code as read by the Durametric said, "amplifier fail". A new amplifier ($1100) fixed the problem.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:28 AM
specialeed
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 95 993 innova 3120

I have an early '95 993 with the round OBD1 port. I bought an Innova 3120, and then the proper adapter for the port. I hooked it up and the unit is on, but didn't seem to be communicating with the car - said to turn on ignition (was on) - do I need to download any Porsche specific software from their site, or am I missing some step? Thx!
Old 07-26-2015, 03:11 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 239 Posts

What do you mean by proper 19-pin adapter? Most, if not all Porsche 19-pin adapters sold on ebay and elsewhere are incorrectly wired.
An off-the-shelf OBD reader/scanner will only at best be able to communicate with the Motronic engine management system in the 964/993. As far as I know, there's only a handful of systems that can do all the OBD-connected things in our cars. (Motronic, ABS, air bag, alarm and climate control)
*The Bosch Porsche "hammer" (KTS 301) or later Bosch Porsche tools as PST2, or PIWIS
*Freeware Rennlist Scantool Windows software (serial port adapter as my T-OBD needed)
*Durametric Windows software with a proper serial cable
*Jenniskens OBD UDT/PDT999 diagnostic tool.

I have also tried the iCarsoft Porsche i960 and the similar "Launch" product, these do not support any of the on-board computers in the 964/993, despite their compatibility list.

Cheers,
Tore
Old 07-27-2015, 05:06 PM
specialeed
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Tore. By proper, I had just meant that it was a cable designed for a round 19 point Porsche connector, which the Innova unit did not come with. Sounds like an Innova is not the solution for the 993.

Quick Reply: OBD2 Reader: Which One...Here we go again!