Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:32 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To at least put "that" puppy to rest, all belts are OEM and were done more than two years ago when I got the car. The plugs, rotors wires etc were done at that time. Systematically, I have been trying to undo the neglect perpetuated upon this car by owners who were more into the cosmetics than the mechanicals. Things had been looking very good (chain gasket leak aside) until this happened. I spoke with my guy for a few moments today and he thinks it "might" be some kind of a control box. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd reset the CEL and see if it happens consistently. Through the years I've had an occasional misfire CEL. Who have you been taking the car to? I've been going to Holbert's, now Bucks Cty. Porsche (now aThompson dealership).
Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

This thread has me thinking, at what point are random misfires an issue?
I have been told that the OBD II system is somewhat sensitive and anything outside its boundary conditions with throw a CEL, is an occasional P0300, and by occasional let's just say, one every 5000 miles something to be concerned with?

I happen to get them more frequently, and as such inspected my ignition wires and subsequently found cracks, so I will be replacing them.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Rich: I've been going to Woodlawn since Fox (Ambler) and I had a parting of ways. I used Torque on Android to reset the light. You are correct they do come occasionally, but this is the first time that car has had a rough idle too.
Kika: I sure hope these wires are good for more than 8 thousand miles over three years!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Since 4 cylinders on both banks were misfiring, I ruled out wires, injectors, etc. because it's unlikely that 4 of them went bad at once... so I ruled out those possibilities. Went through and eliminated a number of other possible items (most mentioned in this thread) and finally narrowed it down to either DMF, DMF sensor, or belts. Since the belts were, by far, the cheapest/easiest I replaced the belts -- as unlikely and counterintuative as that concept sounds...it solved my problem.
If you are convinced it's not your belts (and don't want to replace them just in case), then I'd be looking at the flywheel sensor (again, because it's easier/cheaper than the flywheel).
Best of luck.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Since 4 cylinders on both banks were misfiring, I ruled out wires, injectors, etc. because it's unlikely that 4 of them went bad at once... so I ruled out those possibilities. Went through and eliminated a number of other possible items (most mentioned in this thread) and finally narrowed it down to either DMF, DMF sensor, or belts. Since the belts were, by far, the cheapest/easiest I replaced the belts -- as unlikely and counterintuative as that concept sounds...it solved my problem.
If you are convinced it's not your belts (and don't want to replace them just in case), then I'd be looking at the flywheel sensor (again, because it's easier/cheaper than the flywheel).
Best of luck.
Excellent advice, and makes logical (and financial sense) hopefully wires will solve my problem, but if not, I will look at belts then DMF sensor.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a DMF sensor? Or do you mean the knock sensor?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:09 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Update: My guy slipped me in this morning and of course since the car wasn't doing what it had been doing, there wasn't much he could say/do. He ran Durametric and said all levels were good, the O2 sensor readings were well within tolerance. Then he drove it and said it is running fine. I chalk this up to a long line of ghosts that seem to come out now and then. Maybe Dr. Porsche is trying to tell me something Thanks to all who chimed in.

Quick Reply: Misfire