OT: Damn near got myself killed today

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OT: Damn near got myself killed today

Had a serious near miss today. Was driving from Virginia up to Boston this afternoon, on I-95 just past NYC. It was a pretty rare traffic experience, actually, going 65-70 up the Jersey turnpike and right over the GW Bridge upper deck, only slowing down for the EZ Pass toll. Traffic volume was fairly busy, but everything was zipping right along north on 95, which almost never happens. And it wouldn't happen for long.

I'm in the left lane (fast lane), driving north with the flow of traffic, probably doing 60-65 or so. Another car was abreast of me in the center lane. Three lanes of traffic heading north, three lanes heading south, with only a concrete divider separating. We are in Port Chester, just north of the city.

Out of the corner of my eye, maybe 200-300 yards ahead, in the southbound lanes, I see the dual rear wheel from a tractor trailer bouncing across the southbound lanes toward the northbound lanes. This all happened in about three seconds or so, but I was aware of people swerving in the southbound lanes to avoid it, and saw it take two high bounces, moving very quickly and still rotating (as you often see in race car crashes when a wheel breaks free), then come down square on the top point of the center concrete divider between the north and southbound lanes, and then ricochet directly across my path at windshield level. I saw this all very clearly ... it was a painted white rim, with both tires attached.

I had a nanosecond to decide what to do when I saw it coming, and I braked, hard. I think I even glanced quickly behind me to make sure no one would rear end me, thankfully, there was some distance between me and the car behind me.

The car that had been abreast of me in the center lane never braked; it was now maybe 50 feet ahead of me and I saw the tire bounce hard on the top of the windsheid and edge of the roof dead center. That car locked up its brakes and looked like it was going to fishtail, it edged into my lane but I was able to skirt it while still braking hard. Cars behind us were swerving and braking, and I was aware of pieces from the center lane car's showering the road around it as I went by on the left.

The car behind me fishtailed, as well, and came to a stop across the lane I had just been in. There was nothing I could do at that point but keep moving, and I was hoping that the driver in the car in the center lane was okay because the car did come to a stop and remained under at least some control as it did so. Everybody was stopping behind it and I knew someone would help if they could. Definitely plenty of witnesses.

Unfortunately, when I got home, I learned that the driver was a 62-year-old woman from Larchmont who was killed. Her 82-year-old mother was also in the car, and survived, according to the early reports. They were looking for the truck, which had Jersey plates and didn't stop; they were speculating that the driver may have been unaware if it was one of the rear wheels that came loose. There was speculation that it may have fallen off the I-287 overpass just above where the accident occurred, which would account for the bouncing. I tried to call the NY State Police to tell them what I saw but couldn't get anyone to talk to me and they eventually disconnected me. I'm sure there were lots of witnesses.

I couldn't help noticing as I drove by other semis how big those wheels are ... it looked huge as it crossed my windshield, especially two tires together. I was not, as it happened, driving my 993, although I was scheduled to drive it to Boston, I couldn't fit everything I wanted to bring in it, so I was driving my wife's 03 CLK 550 convertible instead. However, since the woman who was killed was driving a hardtop, I'm pretty damn sure I would have been a goner in either the 993 cab or the Mercedes, if I had not seen it coming and braked hard when I did.

Those wheels come up to about the height of the side view mirror on the Mercedes, and probably taller on the 911. I would guess the whole assembly must weigh at least 200 pounds, and it was bouncing like a toy.

It's a good lesson there, because who doesn't get distracted with the radio or the cellphone or whatever for a split second ... and that's all it would have taken for me to miss the chance to react and save my own ***. Be careful out there.

Here's a link to the local story ... I feel terrible for the driver, it was purely luck it wasn't me.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2011081...r-Port-Chester
Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Your taking the long way to Boston on that Rt.

Stay off the GW cross over on the Tappan Zee then Saw Mill river pky north to 684 north then Rt 84 east through CT to Mass Pike east torward Beantown.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

God bless you .......terrible accident that took a life - RIP.........

I had a similar experience a few years back and accelerated past the tractor trailer tire/axle that bounced in front of me and skipped over me as I floored it......no one was hit on a secondary road with less traffic....

Pure luck saves us sometimes......
Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW! What a story!

Another reminder that we must live every second of our lives to the fullest! You never know when your number may come up. Glad to hear you were able to avoid this Vic. Feel terrible for the poor woman and her daughter.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Vic, glad to hear you're ok. Sorry for the Larchmont family.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

You dodged a bullet today, my friend. I once saw an accident similar to that myself. It's not pretty.

Drink a toast, kiss your kids, take the wife out or whatever it is you do to celebrate today. You still have a few lives left, cat, but today you nearly lost one.

Take care. Glad you're OK.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok. Sounds like your driving skills may have helped save you.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Wow, Vic, what a story. Glad to hear that you're okay but am sad to hear that the woman perished. Terrible.

Yes, this is an excellent example of the need to stay vigilant. Might be good idea for others to learn to left foot brake, too. It has saved me many, many times from questionable situations on and off of the track.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Glad to hear you ok..that was close, something similar happen to my bro-in-law on sfl turnpike years ago, but one wheel.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Your taking the long way to Boston on that Rt.

Stay off the GW cross over on the Tappan Zee then Saw Mill river pky north to 684 north then Rt 84 east through CT to Mass Pike east torward Beantown.
That's actually the long way. Merritt is the way to go for me, I've taken it at least a dozen times a year for the last 10 or so.

Vic, good to hear that you're OK. I look at these things as scary and usually unavoidable. Pure bad luck (or great luck in your case) and some instincts to give yourself a chance. In short, really happy to hear that you are OK.

Are you gigging this weekend?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Way too close of a call. As others have said, you dodged a bullet. It always amazes me how fast life can be snuffed out. If you were going 60 MPH you were doing about 90 feet per second. You missed tragedy by a fraction of a second. Glad you made it pal.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, and good that you were attentive, and reacted quickly.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to year you were not involved in the wreck. Terrible tragedy for the other family. Count your lucky stars tonight.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh wow... what a story...glad you are ok..
Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes! Happy for you, sorry for the victim.

Quick Reply: OT: Damn near got myself killed today