993 Forum 1995-1998

93 - no OBD2 info - can't smog

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 93 - no OBD2 info - can't smog

I'm having an issue with a 97 993 C2 I purchased a few weeks ago. It went through PPI and had all it's codes read, on the drive home (200miles) it died on me and seems to be an electrical issue. I got a dealer to fix and replaced the DME Relay (runs good now). Now it won't give me any ODB2 or DME data when I try to scan it. The shop that got it running provided me the following information:

PWIS FAULT CK-NO COMMUNICATION TO DME-TECH HAD TO PIN-OUT CK DME PWER SUPPLY RELAY-NO 30 POWER TO RELAY-CK 30 POWER FUSE #47-NO POER-TRACE OUT POWER LOSS TO BATTERY-MAIN CONNECTION MOUNTING NUT LOOSE. NOT MAIN WIRRING POWER SUPPLY CABLE-THE LITTLE WIRE TO THE BATTERY,RE-CK SYSTEM-TEST DRIVE OKAY AT THIS TIME.

Any ideas? Im not sure what changed with the car to make the DME go MIA. I know that to get ODB info after disconnecting the battery you need to drive it through some cycles, but DME not available makes me think that something else is wrong. I have a Durametric cable to scan the car.

Thanks!

phil.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:08 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Phil,

Make sure you cycle the key fob to unlock the car just before using the scanner.
If the drive block is on the interface will not be active.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 PM
element
Pro

Thanks for the quick response.. I made sure to have driveblock disabled.. I would unlock and try to scan.. engine starts after the scan as well.

I'm thinking that it might be a loose connection somewhere? but im stumped as to why the car has no issues running. It does have an aftermarket stereo + amps installed, but the car had no issues scanning during the PPI.

:S

phil.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I use my scanner with the car running.

Even when I reset the CEL, I do that with the car running, it will first give me a message saying that the engine is running, but I just hit OK and send the reset command.

I have an Actron 9180
Old 11-01-2011, 05:41 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Since I'm simple-minded, I tend to think in simple terms. Obviously, your DME is working and the car is running well. I'd first suspect the OBDII interface connector or wiring from it.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 PM
element
Pro

I am getting codes from the airbag, ABS etc.. so port is working. I talked to the shop who did the PPI and did a full scan successfully and they think it's something to do with the drivelock\immobilizer - it is the gate to the DME. I just dont know where to start troubleshooting it :S
Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by element
I'm having an issue with a 97 993 C2 I purchased a few weeks ago. It went through PPI and had all it's codes read, on the drive home (200miles) it died on me and seems to be an electrical issue. I got a dealer to fix and replaced the DME Relay (runs good now). Now it won't give me any ODB2 or DME data when I try to scan it. The shop that got it running provided me the following information:

PWIS FAULT CK-NO COMMUNICATION TO DME-TECH HAD TO PIN-OUT CK DME PWER SUPPLY RELAY-NO 30 POWER TO RELAY-CK 30 POWER FUSE #47-NO POER-TRACE OUT POWER LOSS TO BATTERY-MAIN CONNECTION MOUNTING NUT LOOSE. NOT MAIN WIRRING POWER SUPPLY CABLE-THE LITTLE WIRE TO THE BATTERY,RE-CK SYSTEM-TEST DRIVE OKAY AT THIS TIME.

Any ideas? Im not sure what changed with the car to make the DME go MIA. I know that to get ODB info after disconnecting the battery you need to drive it through some cycles, but DME not available makes me think that something else is wrong. I have a Durametric cable to scan the car.

Thanks!

phil.
According to the info provided by your shop:

POWER LOSS TO BATTERY-MAIN CONNECTION MOUNTING NUT LOOSE. NOT MAIN WIRRING POWER SUPPLY CABLE-THE LITTLE WIRE TO THE BATTERY
This happened to me a couple years ago. You'd think this would prevent the car from starting, but not necessarily.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM
element
Pro

ill go through the wiring from the battery.. i was going to go get a new battery just so i have a nice fresh start (need to see when they bought the current one, but wouldnt be suprised if it was 4+ years old)

thanks!

phil.

Quick Reply: 93 - no OBD2 info - can't smog