Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wanting to buy the following 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
There are no codes for anything involving the exclamation point light. OBD codes are engine emmissions related while the exclamation point is for other attentions such as hand brake engaged, low fuel, etc, etc. When the exclamation point light goes on, there is another small light that goes on somewhere else on the dash to tell you what to pay attention to.

Cancelling the exclamation point light will not turn off the second light that indicates what the attention is. The second light will only go out when the situation is resolved. (ie, adding fuel, disengaging hand brake, etc.)

Could be wrong, but I don't recall the exclamation point light going on simutaneous with the spoiler light as Ilko mentioned.
agreed
my post was too brief

he needs to find out why it is coming on.
I suspect there is another bulb out masking the reason it is lighting up
Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks fellas for the timely info, I knew I was going to get on a fast learning curve.
The Carfax is clean, or does anybody really rely on carfax?
rol607, resent pm

Last edited by Wolfk; 09-28-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added material
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
The engine lid seems to have a bit of a bizarre fit. Further to that if you look at the last picture the right side sheet metal by the plastic cover seems a bit bent and the fitment of the plastic sill cover seems off. I just installed a new plastic sill on my 993 and I'm pretty sure the raised tabs on each side are not under the sheet metal, but sit in top of each edge. I maybe wrong but if there was any short of crunch back there that would explain the new fenders without the film as well as the lack of badge on the trunk lid.
Something is certainly off in that pic.

Andreas
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Spoiler light being on, then going off after you are driving is normal. The ! lighting up needs to be checked by a mechanic to make sure it's nothing serious .. my '95 used to come on because of the spoiler light as well, but my '98 doesn't .. go figure. Someone could have removed the fender film simply because it was faded or starting to peel .. BUT because of the implications it warrants a full body inspection by a good body shop .. definitely. It's a lot of money, you don't want to make a mistake.
Tannengruen is a very rare color here in the U.S., and IMHO very beautiful.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 PM
scorpio
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WolfK, I am about to list my 95 993 with 19,942 miles as of today. It is aventurine green like the one you are looking at and I have owned for almost 13 years. e-mail me at ski2bhappy@aol.com if you want more info.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of observations:
Front bumper cover looks to be a slightly different shade and as noted, rear deck lid is not aligning with fender edges. Also, left (driver side) front edge of hood seems to be up a little in the first couple of additional pics. There are rubber stoppers at each corner under the deck lid and hood for adjusting these things.

As noted, check the option codes for the badge delete and get a body shop to put a paint gauge on the paint to check for a respray. Good luck, sounds like you are going in with the right amount of skepticism.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpio
WolfK, I am about to list my 95 993 with 19,942 miles as of today. It is aventurine green like the one you are looking at and I have owned for almost 13 years. e-mail me at ski2bhappy@aol.com if you want more info.
If the OP's ad link is correct, this is Forest Green (Tannengruen) .. not Aventurine, it's a completely different color.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:47 PM
scorpio
AutoX

Originally Posted by JPP
If the OP's ad link is correct, this is Forest Green (Tannengruen) .. not Aventurine, it's a completely different color.
You might be right. It looks a lot like aventurine green to me in some of those photos. Definitely shows how the lighting can affect these metallic colors. That front bumper is definitely not aventurine green and doesn't seem to match the rest of the car. Anyway, Tannengruen is a greener color than Aventurine which is a very dark almost blackish green.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 250 Posts

I personally wouldn't buy a bucket of water from Auto Europe if my hair was on fire.

If you do decide to proceed, have a ppi done by either Howard Gilson (Gilson Motorsports) or Jeff Jones (Automotive Techniques).
Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nurburger, can you elaborate on Auto Europe? Had the PPI done yesterday by Lavery Porsche and it was pretty much a joke. All I got out of it was engine oil level was low, belts were cracking, air filter crushed, brake pads 50%, everything else good. Should have joined Rennlist earlier.

Will probably pass on the car
Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

As a long term resident of the Ann Arbor/Detroit area, I second the motion of not trusting these guys....

They buy rough stuff and buff it to shine and then resell- have looked at other cars there and did not get warm fuzzy feelings....

SS

Last edited by ssarchi; 09-29-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

I don't know the dealers, but I would stay away from that car.
Decal delete. Hood alignment is off. Colors are a bit off. There's clearly been a repaint, and likely damage....
It's also overpriced.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpio
I'd be following up on this one if it were me. I especially like the fact that he's owned it for 13 years.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
check the option codes for the badge delete
Option code for "Without Vehicle Lettering Type On Rear End" (debadge) is #498.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:24 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
Option code for "Without Vehicle Lettering Type On Rear End" (debadge) is #498.
two of the three 993's I have owned had this option. It is more common than I ever thought.

Front bumper cover definitely has been removed and installed without care.

Too much money IMHO.

Quick Reply: Wanting to buy the following 993