Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rennsport Reunion Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:26 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Well guys its now official... RSR IV is officially over. AIR CLD was finally returned to sunny Miami this morning. It already misses California although it babbled something about a Golden Rod.Thanks again to FDM for their willingness to accept, garage and return the car back to me...
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ It was good to meet you Jason .. send Daisy a big 'Thank You! for my new Avatar :-)
Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Well guys its now official... RSR IV is officially over. AIR CLD was finally returned to sunny Miami this morning. It already misses California although it babbled something about a Golden Rod.Thanks again to FDM for their willingness to accept, garage and return the car back to me...
You are very welcome. We only lightly fondled it while it was here installing the new G-Rod. As the Pope has stated, Thanks to you and Daisy for all of the wonderful camera shots of the drive down and back! You guys definitely have some talent.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
^^^ It was good to meet you Jason .. send Daisy a big 'Thank You! for my new Avatar :-)
+1 !

and that reminds me... meant to change my avatar shot for another of the shots she took. This one is actually my desktop background
Cool shot!

Below is a repost of my favorite pic from my own camera
(Jason/Daisy, with Daisy taking pix of my car and JP in the mirror!)
Couldn't have planned this if we'd tried
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ Love!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by curve lover
Even before I flew to Europe in late 2007 to consider importing a 993 Speedster conversion, I was interested in US DOT importation of ROW cars. RLer RJT had previously posted elsewhere that one of Seinfeld's previous 993s took nine years to be approved ; enough reason not to import a Euro 993 Speedster then.

Good to learn the GT2's process only took ~a year 'til it was road-legal (as opposed to above report):
I just got information from the source this morning
Purchased in 2010, it was federalized per U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, the final US governmental approval was received just days before Rennsport Reunion.
(Reminds me of Speedy's build being completed the day befTore the 2009 annual PCA Parade Concours d'Elegance. I'm no Seinfeld, but I can personally understand his elation of driving a unique 993 to a big debut )

Also received three new photos to hopefully share, but have to confirm that's OK before posting. In the meantime, below are some publically-available shots, & I'll add a couple more soon.

Hopefully helpful:

Mr. Pumpkin Head[/B]"
I wonder why they didn't import it under the "Show or display act" loophole that they (Gates/ Clinton) created about ten years ago with the 959's?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

I wonder why they didn't import it under the "Show or display act" loophole that they (Gates/ Clinton) created about ten years ago with the 959's?
The big difference is you "Can't drive it on public roads ... period". Of course, there were several sightings of 959's in north Washington State close to the Canadian border over the years that came in to North America on that loophole (I wonder who's those cars would be ...) but, Canepa is now one of the only businesses recognized by the Fed's as a legitimate importer/converter for grey market vehicles and that is a big deal for them. I've heard the number $60K bandied about for the process/parts/labor to do it and on cars worth $300-500K it doesn't seem unreasonable. Plus, since they've been doing 959's the amount of time it has taken the Fed's to grant importation has dropped considerably. It's a total government scam funded by American importers that were worried about their business getting undercut back in the 90's ... 25 years old is the current 'cut off' date for exemption ... you're still young enough to benefit :-)
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

I'm on the hunt for a late Lancia Delta Integrale in Italy. The good ones are 1990/91 so I'll wait a few more years to import it. I've handled all the paperwork and inspections on the Fiats that I've imported and it actually pretty easy once you've done a few. Florida is so lax on inspections it's crazy. As long as you have your ducks in a row and provide copies of all paperwork all they then require is you to bring the vehicle to the inspection station so they can see the vin.As usual 25 years is the cutoff, but that has been easily "modified" by many friends locally. This is the Banana Republic...
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default US 993 GT2

I wonder why they didn't import it under the "Show or display act" loophole created with the 959's?
Illustrating some of the unpredictability that can still happen with US federalization & importation:
Plan was for show or display. Despite the fact the GT2 seemed to meet all criteria, the DOT chose not to approve it through that process, necessitating a full EPA conversion.
As JPP said: at least the time required for that has shortened.

Trivia: First time Mr. Seinfeld saw it in person was the Sat AM that Rennsport started.
Originally Posted by JPP

Canepa is now one of the businesses recognized by the Fed's as a converter for grey market vehicles.
I've heard the number $60K bandied about for the process/parts/labor to do it.
Plus, since they've been doing 959's the amount of time it has taken the Fed's to grant importation has dropped considerably.
All on target ^^.
FWIW, there were at least 3 importers approved for DOT legalization / EPA conversion last time I looked into this.
At least 2 of them have experience federalizing 959s.

More of Jerry's 'new' GT2:

Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by curve lover
Illustrating some of the unpredictability that can still happen with US federalization & importation:
Plan was for show or display. Despite the fact the GT2 seemed to meet all criteria, the DOT chose not to approve it through that process, necessitating a full EPA conversion.
Wow, I'm really surprised that they went that route first. Did they think it would be impossible to get approval for a full EPA conversion to begin with? Any idea what the car sold for in Europe? (I'll guess $300K ...)

Also, something that's really interested me since I started 'researching' these cars ... which country designates the European length turn signal corner lenses in Amber? France?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I just read the recent Panorama on the plane, amd they discussed the 2 of the last 8 959's that came to the US. They say the show/display tags are good for approx 1500 miles on the roads/year.

Originally Posted by JPP
The big difference is you "Can't drive it on public roads ... period". Of course, there were several sightings of 959's in north Washington State close to the Canadian border over the years that came in to North America on that loophole (I wonder who's those cars would be ...) but, Canepa is now one of the only businesses recognized by the Fed's as a legitimate importer/converter for grey market vehicles and that is a big deal for them. I've heard the number $60K bandied about for the process/parts/labor to do it and on cars worth $300-500K it doesn't seem unreasonable. Plus, since they've been doing 959's the amount of time it has taken the Fed's to grant importation has dropped considerably. It's a total government scam funded by American importers that were worried about their business getting undercut back in the 90's ... 25 years old is the current 'cut off' date for exemption ... you're still young enough to benefit :-)
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Honestly, I'd slap a dealer tag on it and drive it. It's not like it'll ever be a daily driver...
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JPP
Also, something that's really interested me since I started 'researching' these cars ... which country designates the European length turn signal corner lenses in Amber? France?
Here's a couple of examples of what I'm talkin' bout ... 1. Seinfeld's, 2. European GT2 in U.K. ..?

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I just read the recent Panorama on the plane, amd they discussed the 2 of the last 8 959's that came to the US. They say the show/display tags are good for approx 1500 miles on the roads/year.
Really! Wow, well that would be a no-brainer then and a change from the original restrictions. But it doesn't surprise me because I think the entire law was revised in 2005.

Last edited by JPP; 11-03-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Just reviewed this article (thanks Ed ..) and was surprised to learn that the original 1999 law, which was written as a result of Gates/Allen pushing to get their cars out of customs after 13 years, allows for 2500 yearly miles of driving on a show and display importation if the car can pass 1987 smog regulations. Jeezus, I don't put anywhere near that many annual miles on any of my cars ...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:16 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

If the cars are 25 years or older you can import and register them without an real issues. I wonder if that will be reason for more unfederalized/ un-show and display act'ed 959's now to be imported by private owners? Canepa wouldn't have to get involved in paperwork anymore.

Quick Reply: Rennsport Reunion Pictures