Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts
Default Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

I'm sure I will be promptly stoned to death, but it seems like some people get really, and I mean REALLY into their cars...to the point of obsession.

Anybody else not like that at all? I don't love my cars or any other cars, I don't dream about them, I don't obsess over them, and I definitely won't defend them to the death like others.

Btw, this does not go only for porsche, but ferrari, lambo, bmw, etc. Some of these guys just take it to levels I've never seen (i.e. I'd divorce my wife before I sell my car, I sit in my garage with a glass of wine and stare at my car for hours, and I dream of my car, mods, etc")

Am I alone in this? Surely I can't be the only one who enjoys driving good sports cars, but thinks they are still "just cars" at the end of the day.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:04 AM
gruppe75
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, I think you are a loner. If you weren't so busy chatting on this forum, you could be polishing your car.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't love my cars like I love my family, but I do care for them and it shows in their appearance and their maintenance. I have been know to dream about mods from time to time too. Maybe, it's just my personality as I take care of everything I own.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Spidey 993

Just about 5 minutes ago I was out in the garage seeing if there was any way
to make love to my wind shield wipers.

I will post pics before, during, and after.

Ok, on a serious note: lately I must admit I have read some over the top guys loving their cars in a sexual way.
Too each their own I suppose, but I plan on keeping my car... indoors.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paddy
I don't love my cars like I love my family, but I do care for them and it shows in their appearance and their maintenance. I have been know to dream about mods from time to time too. Maybe, it's just my personality as I take care of everything I own.
caring for them is one thing, but some people go overboard.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Not to throw stones at anyone, but often people who have been handed everything, as opposed to starting with nothing and becoming self-made, don't have as deep as an appreciation for things.

If I were in my 20s, and my family had bestowed any wealth upon me, I'm sure I'd value things differently than if the fruits of labor came solely from me and my hard work.

I don't know your situation, of course, other than I know you're in your 20s, and you appear to have many fine cars. Almost all people like that have had some wealth handed to them, and usually cannot appreciate the vast difference in perspective between being handed wealth as opposed to earning it themselves. If that is, in fact, your situation, it would explain why you have a much different perspective when it comes to material possessions, like cars.

One more thing I've noticed is that people who have been handed money by Daddy/Inheritance etc., is they are usually to insecure to admit it, and protest that they made it all themselves.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife hopes that I am more attached to wives than cars as they do come and go (cars that is). It is certainly cheaper than changing wives although I don't fancy my chances of finding another good one nor do I want to. I don't get too attached to cars although I haven't sold a Porsche yet.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this should be a fun topic

@Tony-

So, I have a passion for cars... but it's not "emotional". A bit contrary, I know, but the best way I can think of to describe it.
"Hobby" doesn't cover it for me.

I thoroughly enjoy working on them, driving them, cleaning/maintaining them, etc.
All of the above can be therapeutic for me.

Porsche specifically, gives me the most pleasure (no, not the kind Tony is having with his 993 at the moment )
They are fantastic machines. The sounds, smells, visuals...
At the end of the day, they are inanimate objects... but, oh, what objects they are!

As soon as I get the chance, I'm going for a drive today
Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD

As soon as I get the chance, I'm going for a drive today
And living in the Bay Area, why wouldn't you!! I dream about the roads I used to enjoy there, both on 4 wheels and 2. Now I live in Dallas TX and have more fun polishing it than driving it. But then again if I lived in the Bay Area still I probably couldn't have afforded the car I now own.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
caring for them is one thing, but some people go overboard.
Totally agree.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:46 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
Just about 5 minutes ago I was out in the garage seeing if there was any way to make love to my wind shield wipers.
There is a rubber vs. latex joke in here somewhere
Old 11-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Not to throw stones at anyone, but often people who have been handed everything, as opposed to starting with nothing and becoming self-made, don't have as deep as an appreciation for things.

If I were in my 20s, and my family had bestowed any wealth upon me, I'm sure I'd value things differently than if the fruits of labor came solely from me and my hard work.

I don't know your situation, of course, other than I know you're in your 20s, and you appear to have many fine cars. Almost all people like that have had some wealth handed to them, and usually cannot appreciate the vast difference in perspective between being handed wealth as opposed to earning it themselves. If that is, in fact, your situation, it would explain why you have a much different perspective when it comes to material possessions, like cars.

One more thing I've noticed is that people who have been handed money by Daddy/Inheritance etc., is they are usually to insecure to admit it, and protest that they made it all themselves.
I'd like to address this partially, as it can be valid.

That said, I also think there is a difference between appreciating something and becoming emotionally bonded.

I appreciate that its a very good car that many people will never have the ability to own.

Beyond that thought, I generally keep it clean, fix it when its broken, and enjoy driving it, but I don't have any emotional attachment. I don't LOVE any cars, I don't dream about cars (and therefore don't have a dream car) and generally hate when people talk about cars having soul or character. The overabundance of the use of "patina" is also annoying. Dents, windshield cracks, and massive rock chips are not patina, they are flaws. It seems some people cannot admit to themselves that their cars have flaws, so they've come up with stupid words like patina. I've caught myself using it on occasion, and immediately want to punch myself in the face.

As to the daddy comment, while my parents have been extremely generous, they didn't pay for either car.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Am I alone in this? Surely I can't be the only one who enjoys driving good sports cars, but thinks they are still "just cars" at the end of the day.
Well, there are at least two of us.

I do feel fortunate to have the resources that enable me own such a great car and I can't help but grin every morning when I hear those pipes light off when I crank it up to go to work.

At the same time, it's not my "baby," doesn't have gender, doesn't have a name, I don't talk to it, and as far as I know, it's never spoken to me.

I will say that it's probably more than "just a car," but owning it is essential to neither my well-being nor my sense of self and I certainly can't see it, or any other car ever becoming the focus of my life.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

hmm. I rub mine with a diaper all the time... Seriously now. Cars are made to be driven and we all can go to extremes in caring for it. However, there are two types of cars; concurs and daily driven. If you drive your car daily, then one would expect road rash on your car. The proper question is what is your reaction to road rash on a concurs car vs DD? If the response is the same, then you kinda have a problem.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do get emotionally bonded to some cars...and the 993 more than any other. I have no shame about it either.

Like I said in a recent thread, my bond does not compete with or over-ride my bonds to family, freinds, work and core values...but.....I get very excited, emotionally when I look at and drive my 993.

I think a lot of others here feel the same but if it is just a great car to some, that's cool too.

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?