Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driving from Chicago to Fort Bragg (NC)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driving from Chicago to Fort Bragg (NC)

I'm planning to stop in Lexington, KY the first night and then drive through Asheville and arrive in Fayetville late Thursday night. Anyone have any road recommendations? Anyone feel like meeting up for lunch or a meet up along the way? I'm visiting my brother for the holidays and decided at the last second to make a scenic drive out of it since it's always something i've wanted to do and I rarely have the time off continuously. I think it will actually cost more to drive than to fly but I think it'll be worth it.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:10 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I do not have road recommendations but there was a great post on what you should take for a longer trip. It starts with DME relay, battery for the key fob and should include a spare alternator and Fan belt AND the proper tools to change them (24mm wrench, 5mm Allen and 12pt tool to hold the alternator. Enjoy the ride!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Will you be near the Tail Of The Dragon?
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

in fact i've got the DME and all the tools for alternator belt and spare since my belt broke in the summer. I also carry the tools for the IC removal, but come to think of it, I don't think I keep the ratchet in there, thanks for the reminder!

NoH2 have you gone there? The route I currently have planned runs close to that area, a bit out of the way but if you say its worth it i'll go. Thanks for the map, that looks great, did you outline that area?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by uicnick
NoH2 have you gone there? The route I currently have planned runs close to that area, a bit out of the way but if you say its worth it i'll go. Thanks for the map, that looks great, did you outline that area?
Oh yes. Only in the Boxster. Not in the Turbo,....yet. Some day.

I've done the TOD on 2 occassions, multiple runs each time. First time was spring of 2007 and the last time was fall of 2008.

The road I highlighted, was coined The Twisted Pickle.

You've gotta do them both. Great area to drive. Many post here on Rennlist about them.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Thanks... looks like i'm currently set to travel about 60 miles northeast, not too bad, I'll update my route....
Old 12-20-2011, 01:05 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Good move, you will look like this guy:

Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If your route takes you down I-73/74 below Greensboro, consider getting off around Asheboro and taking 42. Take a right at Siler City Glendon Rd and then a right on River Rd - one of the nicer driving roads in the area. From there, a left on 22 and then pick up 24 through Carthage - center of town is a circle. There are more crooked roads in the area if you are inclined to pick them out from Google maps. Just outside Carthage on Dowd Rd. is a good BBQ place if the timing is right - Pik n Pig.

On the east side of Carthage, take Union Church Rd - it angles to the right rather than being a right turn. Another nice one that becomes 690 which takes you to Ft. Bragg.

If you head back in the same general direction, the map shows the Uwharrie National Forest next to I-73 with more crooked roads. I've not been through there yet but am planning a day trip early next year to see how they look from behind the wheel.

I hope you have a safe, enjoyable trip.

Last edited by RoadWarrior19; 12-20-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, but bad weather is forecast right through the weekend. The Tail of the Dragon, and any of the wonderful twisty roads here in NC, is no fun in the 'wet'.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips guys, i'm heading off now. Looks like the rain isn't going to work out until my return next week. Poor time to go weather wise, i'll be sure and take pics
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Nick, how was the trip? Did you do the TOD?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Guys, noH2 sorry for the late post. I'm a big time procrastinator, it takes a decent amount of time to post this stuff up with pictures, etc, but I digress. Yes, I did make the trip.

I started a bit late, 9AM out from Chicago and the forecast matched the predictions with slight rain. With rain spoiling the drive, I deviated from my original plan of using local routes and stayed on the interstate. Around Indianapolis, the rain cleared up so I jumped off to route 31 towards Columbus, Indiana. I saw some HD Dodge prototypes running around Cummins but didn't get any pictures. I ran through some nice towns and the roads were pretty good, nothing like what I would encounter the next day but compared to boring flat and straight Chicago roads, I was enjoying the drive. I made my way through a really nice town called Madison, Indiana. I wish I had made more time to stop and explore things but I wanted to make Lexington at a reasonable hour. I took some pictures next to some historical markers and made my way down a steep descent and a very narrow bridge to Kentucky. From there more scenery until I approached Lexington. I stopped by Four Roses distillery on the way but I just missed the last tour by several minutes. Made it to Lexington in time for dinner at table 310 (great bartender, great food) and eventually made my way to Parlay Social and had a great time there.

Slightly hungover, I got a late start and headed out around 9AM towards the dragon. Decided again to bypass local routes and stay on the interstate because of time. Came in towards Knoxville and it was drizzling occasionally but nothing serious. I pulled over at gas station to hear a worrying rattling noise coming from the engine bay. I got down and noticed that the under tray for the engine had come loose on the driver’s side. I tightened the fastener, filled her up and went towards 129. There was no indication from my surroundings of the fun to come other than the warning signs to truckers for hairpin turns and switchbacks. I started getting excited. I drove to a cycle shop that was closed for the season. Since I was behind a truck I decided to pull off and take a break. I checked my tire pressures and I had to reduce them almost 2-4 PSI all around because the ambient temperature was 65F compared to Chicago 30F. I secured my cargo and noticed that there were no cars driving past in the last 5 minutes. I took off and it was unbelievable, much better than expected and definitely realized recommendations were correct, I had to go. If I had any doubts about my 911 purchase, those vanished as I drove her through the curves. I rolled down my windows and savored the exhaust note bouncing off the interior rock walls coming out of the switchbacks. The car handled unbelievably. The surface was a bit damp but nothing the Michelins couldn't handle. Now this is my first time there but I believe that December was probably a great time to go because there were no leaves on the trees I could see if there were cars coming down the other side of the road and use the whole road. Also there were only 2 oncoming cars that passed by and I never ran into another car going ahead, only a group of 3 bicyclists, whom I startled (sorry fellows). I had to downshift to second in some of the corners, the torque coming out of the corners was unbelievable. Amazing car. A bit sad, I feel that owning the car is selfish to live in Chicago and not be able to enjoy roads like those, but I do appreciate the design and engineering even if I can't enjoy those roads every day. Coming out of 129 towards Bryson City, I got nabbed by the police. Not much traffic but caught going 73 in a 55. Worst part was that there is a mandatory court appearance scheduled February 24th because of the amount of speed. I stopped in Asheville for lunch with an old coworker and continued on to Fort Bragg arriving at 9PM.

Next day I called the court and they told me that I could come in December 28th so I ended up extending my stay. Had a good time with family for the holiday and woke up at 4AM on the 28th to make court by 9AM. Had to wait 3 hours! for my name to be called (should have just hired an attorney?) but oh well the DA and judge were both very sweet and attractive ladies who reduced the speed to 60MPH in a 55MPH. As a commercial truck driver, my employer reviews my driving record every year so this makes that discussion a bit easier than 73 in a 55. Regardless, I went back through the dragon and decided that because I was a day behind schedule coming back to Chicago, I went ahead and drover the whole day, arriving in Chicago at 11:30PM. I was sort of wired but as soon as I lay on the couch I just felt tired and passed out. It was a hell of a trip, 2000 miles and many interesting sights seen and many interesting people met. Thanks guys for the route suggestions, I really wanted to make the Greensboro route but by the time I came in Bragg, it was dark and planning didn't work out. Maybe if I have a longer break I could spend more time driving around that area, definitely the place for a 911. I think in the Midwest, muscle car is king but in the mountains, the sports car rules.
Attached Images                
Old 01-16-2012, 03:15 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Sounds like you had a good trip. Sorry you got a ticket.

Quick Reply: Driving from Chicago to Fort Bragg (NC)