Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Octane Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 AM
MKK993
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Octane Question

I spent some time with the search function, but wasn't able to determine a clear answer to my situation.

I live on a somewhat rural island and the highest octane available is a 90.5 (blend). Fortunately, I'm told that there isn't any ethanol added to the fuel on this island.

My question: although this lower than recommended ocatane may decrease my performance, will 90.5 octane gasoline harm my engine? How about 89 octane?

Thank you in advance for any guidance anyone can provide.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 AM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think with today's engine control systems with knock sensors, the ECU will adjust the timing to reduce or eliminate knock which will also decrease performance. I would expect there is a lower limit of how much it can retard the timing such that you could have such low octane that you could still get detonation.

Knock generally only occurs under load. You can reduce the chances of harming the engine by driving it under a light load, not accelerating too rapidly or going up hills under heavy load.

Is the octane rating you mention RON or the American RON+MON/2? If it is RON, 89 is a very low octane rating.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MKK993
I spent some time with the search function, but wasn't able to determine a clear answer to my situation.

I live on a somewhat rural island and the highest octane available is a 90.5 (blend). Fortunately, I'm told that there isn't any ethanol added to the fuel on this island.

My question: although this lower than recommended ocatane may decrease my performance, will 90.5 octane gasoline harm my engine? How about 89 octane?

Thank you in advance for any guidance anyone can provide.
These engines are adaptive to octane within limits and Porsche recommends 93 (R+M/2) for best performance. These cars will handle 91, albeit with less power, however 90.5 hinders performance without question.

Octane requirements vary somewhat with air temperatures so if one lives in a warm/hot climate, these engines need more octane than ones operated in cooler climates.

You didn't say where you live so its difficult to provide precise information, however the above should be a guideline. Its worthwhile looking for higher octane fuel if you want the performance that the car is capable of.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No ethanol is a nice plus but isn't there anything that can be added to 'boost' octane levels?? There must be something legitimate out there.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
MKK993
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the feedback.

I will verify with the fuel distributor, but I'm fairly sure the octane in the R+M/2, since the octane numbers I found were those posted at the pump.

We are located in Hawaii, so we are essentially at sea-level with temperatures normally in the 80s.

There are no other sources of fuel on this island, and I have read that octane additives are harmful to the engine. Is my best option to use the fuel available and not driveing under heavy load?

Quick Reply: Another Octane Question