Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reccomendation for direct fit replacement speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reccomendation for direct fit replacement speakers?

I know ther ehas been a lot of discussion on this topic, but with all the threads searched, I could not come up with answers.

I am looking for reccomendations to replace the factory speakers in our 993 C2S equipped witht he "HiFi" system.

I dont want to drill any holes, nor do I want the look to appear anything different than OE. I have concluded what I need is:

Rear-
4.25" shallow Mid-Range
1" tweeter

Front-
5" low
3" mid range
1" tweeter.

Once again, looking to find a direct fitment. Anyone have make and model info?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found a post that may be helpful. I have not called or followed up with this guy as yet, but would probably be worth a call.

Rod Birch, Car Audio Innovations, www.caraudioinnovations.com specializing
in high end Porsche Audio since 1991 "Time spent with a customer is time
invested in a friendship" 1-800-892-6430
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnnyC4S
I found a post that may be helpful. I have not called or followed up with this guy as yet, but would probably be worth a call.

Rod Birch, Car Audio Innovations, www.caraudioinnovations.com specializing
in high end Porsche Audio since 1991 "Time spent with a customer is time
invested in a friendship" 1-800-892-6430
By the way - No affiliation to Rod Birch, Car Audio Innovations...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I contacted him a while ago and wish I was closer to his shop so I could just drop the car off and let him go to work. Here is is reply:

993 options: Let’s figure out if you’ve got the hifi package-have you noticed whether your door panels have a large carpeted bulge on them (hi fi style), with a sort of oval shaped grill? Or a flat, smooth panel with a round speaker grill flat against it? (non-hifi) Once we determine this, we can look at speaker options (the non-hifi equipped cars are limited to a tweeter size that'll fit in the small angled pod found on both setups (hifi/nonhifi), but the hifi equipped cars have more space for a larger tweeter behind the large cover-a very nice feature!) Though the hifi equipped cars have 3 speakers on each door, it's much easier and more practical to install a high quality component speaker set with 6.5" midwoofers, tweeters, and crossover networks. It will look completely stock when you're done in either case, though with the non-hifi equipped cars, the 6.5" aftermarket speaker grill will need to be used since the factory grill cover snaps directly onto the speaker's frame. The sound will be night and day style different. Prices can range from $199/set for super budget speakers that don't have a separate crossover network, don't want or need much power, to $999/set for really nice Hertz MLK165 components. Two stops in the middle for choices are the HSK165 at $449.99, a great deal, or my favorite, the HSK165XL at $649.99-more stout, better power handling, larger tweeter, and mucho speaker for the bucks. Focal also has some great speakers at $799/set and $1099/set for my personal favorites the K2PS series. On the hifi equipped coupes the actual rear grill and speaker assembly are elongated, which also leaves an odd, elongated opening in the rear panel if they're removed. The easiest way to deal with them is to leave the stock ones in, perhaps just running headunit power to run them, (they're very efficient, plus the rear window increases their efficiency-headunit power is plenty), bass blockers on each, or high pass crossovers on a quality headunit (like a nice Kenwood Excelon with their Ipod interface). Non hifi equipped cars have a very common 4x6" oval grills under rectangular grills in the coupe. Make sure that your rear speaker grills are in good shape, since it’s just about impossible to find 4x6 speakers that come with grills. Your best bet is reusing the factory grills, as long as they’re not cracked from age, sun, ozone... I like Kenwood Excelon units which are $99/pair. You can adapt a 4" coaxial to the factory hifi grills, but it's really tricky to effect a good quality mount, rigid and sealed up airtight to the openings in the rear speaker assembly.

(Cabriolet 993's all have 4" round speakers behind square grills, all standard on hifi and non-hifi equipped cars, btw, easily replaced by quality 4" coaxials-like $199 Focals).

The 993's equipped with the hifi sound package ('just a bunch of crappy Nokia speakers, enclosures (on doors, easily removed to expose factory standard round "cutout), an amplifier underneath the passenger seat (U.S. versions), all lightweight, anemic cheap stuff. Some cars also have the DSP option, with a small control pad on the driver's door, inside the map pocket, allowing some sound delay action. 'no real advantage, in my opinion. The factory system lacked power, quality speakers, and has a poor source unit by Becker. A compact/narrow quality aftermarket amplifier, like an Audison unit will fit under the passenger seat, replacing the factory amp and simplifying wiring (also fits the non-hifi equipped cars in the same location), either 2 channel to drive just high quality door speakers, price $279-$490, or a 3 channel amp to drive door speakers and subs (hehe, the sub setup is another dimension, 'not the boomy stuff kids are into, just a balanced setup with dual 8" JL Audio subs at $699 complete) at $649, or other choices in 4 channels to run just main speakers ($479-699), a 5 channel amp to run everything including subs for $649-$1099. The higher prices reflect more power, higher end model, more headroom, etc. 'all great stuff, with 3 year warranty on all Focal and Audison amps when purchased from an authorized dealer like us.

For headunits, I've got a great Kenwood KDCX993 headunit at $319, and like all of their Excelon units, it has 24 bit Burr Brown D/A converters, is MP3 and WMA compatible, with USB, Ipod ready, satellite radio ready, built in Bluetooth handsfree and changeable illumination(!). Kenwood's Ipod cable is $25 and works great. You can view and control the Ipod through the headunit.

We used to sell the Nakamichi CD400 which looked OEM, but we started seeing problems with reliability and no more warranty coverage from Nakamichi.(!) Even though the stock Becker headunit looks great for the Porsche interior, my thinking is that you can get used to the Kenwood unit, especially when you select the text display only, and it’s really easy to get used to the better features of Kenwood over Becker like tuner strength, reliability, subwoofer level control, and Ipod and Bluetooth interface capability.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 PM
rsa964
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default speakers

I also contacted Rob Birch - his recommendation was to replace the speakers and amp.

I have supercups - so fancy speakers wouldnt really be all that great.

All I want is to replace the existing hifi option speakers as the paper on the stock ones are shot.

I have been searching some and haven't found anything yet.

Was thinking about seeing if it is possible to send the existing speakers out to be reconditioned and then just put them back in?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

We appear to be in the same boat. Will let you know of any findings.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a set of Infintiy 2-ways getting dusty in my garage that I had in my non-hifi 964 Targa's rear parcel shelf. I do not know if the hi-fi set up in a coupe uses these or the 4" rounds in the side panel like my 96 cab.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

The Hi Fi rear speakers are 4.25" round mid and 1" tweeters.

Decided on keeping things "stock" with Hertz replacement seperates all around. Will provide a review upon installation hopefully this weekend.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I need to replace my non-hifi speakers as well. I never heard of these speakers. I will be interested in your update of this post.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Interesting...I think a lot of us are going to be needing speakers if not already replaced.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...m-upgrade.html
Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would suggest not wasting ANY money on the rear speakers - you can find some decent component that fit in the factory locations if you absolutely need rear fill.

I was able to jam 3 way Dynaudio with the 6.25" & 3" replacing the OEM Hi-Fi unit and the tweeter replacing the stock "wart".
The finished product looks stock.

Last edited by DocTock993; 01-14-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: speling and gramer
Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
The Hi Fi rear speakers are 4.25" round mid and 1" tweeters.

Decided on keeping things "stock" with Hertz replacement seperates all around. Will provide a review upon installation hopefully this weekend.

Awesome!

I nearly put Hertz speakers in when I did my system. I think they are one of the best values out there, really nice natural sounding speaker with excellent tome quality. can't wait to hear your review.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I need to replace my non-hifi speakers as well. I never heard of these speakers. I will be interested in your update of this post.
Hertz speakers are made by the same parent company as Audison amps, which are very good also, especially the Italian made line.

http://elettromedia-usa.com/

Quick Reply: Reccomendation for direct fit replacement speakers?