Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wanting to jump...want a C2S; thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are all correct...it is a beautiful car.

However, my only hesitation is that the top-end was done at 70k and it's already at 118k...so does that mean it's within 20k or so miles for another? For $36k what other parts are due soon for replacement?

I would rather spend a couple more grand knowing I had more miles before repair/replacement of parts with a lower mileage car...or...have more $$ in my pocket for upcoming repairs with this higher mileage vehicle.

No doubt this car is in excellent shape but the parts have been used more than others...really as they should be. I am not in search of a garage queen.

Just trying to weigh my options is all. Great car I just wish it were closer to 90k for the the price

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...2s-fs-36k.html

In my opinion I would consider this car over the white one. Like others have said, it has had multiple RL owners, so you know the history, top end done recently, silver is a nice color.

Edit Pecosbill beat me to it!!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Only 10% were made with a manual transmission??? I might think that 10% were Tiptronic and 90% manual would be more plausible.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

If I remember right, this 2s from Austin has a history, make sure you have the car Checked out properly
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawgdriver
You are all correct...it is a beautiful car.

However, my only hesitation is that the top-end was done at 70k and it's already at 118k...so does that mean it's within 20k or so miles for another? For $36k what other parts are due soon for replacement?

I would rather spend a couple more grand knowing I had more miles before repair/replacement of parts with a lower mileage car...or...have more $$ in my pocket for upcoming repairs with this higher mileage vehicle.

No doubt this car is in excellent shape but the parts have been used more than others...really as they should be. I am not in search of a garage queen.

Just trying to weigh my options is all. Great car I just wish it were closer to 90k for the the price
topend work is once and done with these cars...and IMHO, not every car will need one. Bart-Academatech's car(first User A's, then Bart, then Mr. Bonus, then Bart again-I think I got that order right) is extremely well sorted. The suspension is very recently done, recent front end respray and complete detail.

If you want a driver-that looks beautiful too, you can't go wrong with this car...or current owner.

Do your research, learn everything you can about these cars. A good one is a blessing, a bad one is a curse.

If you intend to drive it-put 7-10K annually on it, mileage isn't an issue...condition/maintaence is.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawgdriver
In all my research I missed the red vs black caliper point. No wonder so many mbrs paint there own!
Just to make sure you're aware, the red brakes are not just a different color - they're bigger. These brakes are known as "Big Reds", the same size calipers that were run on the venerable 917 race car. The Big Red calipers were only standard on the C4S and Turbo. I don't know if it was even an option on any of the other models.

Here's the thing (IMO). Everybody is all hot and sweaty over the C2S, which seems to be mostly inspired by the split rear engine grill and the miniscule difference in weight. But the C4S offers the turbo's upgraded suspension and Big Red brakes, and also includes Automatic Brake Differential (ABD, an effective traction control system that operates below 40-something mph). The AWD system only operates when wheel slip is detected, so it operates in 2WD mode almost all the time anyway. AND, the C4S, while expensive, seems to go for a few bucks less than a similar C2S (because of the forementioned hysteria over trivial things), making the C4S a far better value than a C2S. Plus, you can always put a split grill on the C4S if it makes your ego feel better.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

C4S heavier with more rolling resistance, thus slower than C2S

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J

real world weight difference translation...

the C4S driver will have to deal with the company of 110 lb lady friend in the pass seat, while the C2S driver can enjoy a significantly "larger" lady friend and the overall performance will be the same.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...for all you chubby chasers out there.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J

Not enough for anyone to feel or care about. And C4S faster on wet/snow

edit: And faster around a track than a C2S, though only a tenth of a second slower from 0-60. Better grip and stability in the corners, and better brakes wins the race.

And isn't the regular C2 faster than the C2S? It's exactly the same car except the S has a higher Cd and probably a little more weight because of the wide body. That would make the C2S the slowest 993 of them all. I'm just thinking here.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

I wouldn't even consider this white car. If a seller puts information so utterly wrong in an ad on Autotrader (the 10% part), I don't care how nice the car looks in pics.

Good luck. You will find a nicer car with nicer wheels actually on the car.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 01-11-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Not enough for anyone to feel or care about. And C4S faster on wet/snow

edit: And faster around a track than a C2S, though only a tenth of a second slower from 0-60. Better grip and stability in the corners, and better brakes wins the race.

And isn't the regular C2 faster than the C2S? It's exactly the same car except the S has a higher Cd and probably a little more weight because of the wide body. That would make the C2S the slowest 993 of them all. I'm just thinking here.
Taking it one step further...that would make the C4 faster (better Cd and less weight) than the C4S
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Just to make sure you're aware, the red brakes are not just a different color - they're bigger. These brakes are known as "Big Reds", the same size calipers that were run on the venerable 917 race car. The Big Red calipers were only standard on the C4S and Turbo. I don't know if it was even an option on any of the other models.

Here's the thing (IMO). Everybody is all hot and sweaty over the C2S, which seems to be mostly inspired by the split rear engine grill and the miniscule difference in weight. But the C4S offers the turbo's upgraded suspension and Big Red brakes, and also includes Automatic Brake Differential (ABD, an effective traction control system that operates below 40-something mph). The AWD system only operates when wheel slip is detected, so it operates in 2WD mode almost all the time anyway. AND, the C4S, while expensive, seems to go for a few bucks less than a similar C2S (because of the forementioned hysteria over trivial things), making the C4S a far better value than a C2S. Plus, you can always put a split grill on the C4S if it makes your ego feel better.
Dave beat me to it on the red vs black. A can of paint will get you the look and you won't really notice any diff unless you do heavy track stuff. But I LOVE how my big reds stop. Also, a plus for the 4S is the LSD (limited slip differential) that is stock and only an option on C2/C2S cars.

As for the weight difference, its about 150 lbs max. And you can make a C4S into a C2S, but not the reverse....

Dave hit it right as well on the cost. When I was looking, C4S was cheaper than C2S. That along with the right wheels, LSD, big reds, etc put me into a C4S.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Bart-Academatech's car(first User A's, then Bart, then Mr. Bonus, then Bart again-I think I got that order right) is extremely well sorted. The suspension is very recently done, recent front end respray and complete detail.

If you want a driver-that looks beautiful too, you can't go wrong with this car...or current owner.

Thanks for the vote Joe. My C2S was purchased new in Richardson TX then sold to Rennlisters:
Kent @ 75K miles
Me @ 90K miles
UserA @ 100K miles
Mr Bonus @ 108K miles
Me @ 113K miles

To the OP, you've found the right model, be patient and buy the one that's right for you. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

I was unaware that a Top End is a one time deal. Great to hear. This car is sounding more and more like a first time 993 owner's car.

Based on the mileage and also the Top End and I need to think about the price.

Academictech, the car looks fantastic...but you already knew that!

Originally Posted by Academictech
Thanks for the vote Joe. My C2S was purchased new in Richardson TX then sold to Rennlisters:
Kent @ 75K miles
Me @ 90K miles
UserA @ 100K miles
Mr Bonus @ 108K miles
Me @ 113K miles

To the OP, you've found the right model, be patient and buy the one that's right for you. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 405 Likes on 169 Posts

White one pass....Academictech's car seems a winner!

Price, condition, prior ownership, etc. all spells winner. I would have considered it if I hadn't just found my C4S...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Taking it one step further...that would make the C4 faster (better Cd and less weight) than the C4S
That would make sense, if just talking about 0-60 in a straight line. Again, the better brakes, uprated suspension components, LSD, wider tires gives it the clear edge over every other NA 993 model when it comes to track times. Nothing but a turbo is a better overall performer than a C4S. In stock form, of course

Quick Reply: Wanting to jump...want a C2S; thoughts?