Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wanting to jump...want a C2S; thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to jump...want a C2S; thoughts?

So I have been lurking on these sites for 6yrs now and am at a point where I can finally take the leap with my first 993. I have wanted one ever since I can remember. I was offered a 1998 C2 Black/Cashmere in excellent condition in 2006 for 22k and wish I had jumped on it. However, there were 2 issues:

1) I wanted to pay cash and didn't have the cash
2) I really wanted a C2S!!!**
**#2 being the biggest reason.

Well, now it's time and I have the cash...most of it anyways.

I want to do this right the first time and find a solid car that I can hopefully pass down to my son some day. I have found a car in the Rennlist adds but also this one: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Major Plus: Color Combo, Stance (not sure of the the suspension) and it's an 'S'.

Minus: Not a huge fan of the wheels and prefer red calipers (REALLY MINOR items if everything checks out good).

What are your thoughts? Does anyone live near by who can suggest a location for a PPI?

Thanks for everyone's assistance here...you have a newbie on your hands...be gentle
Old 01-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of only 993 made (10% were manual)...Huh? Really?

Nice ride, check out the "repair history on that car. (rock chips, non OE parts (unless that is not importiant to you.)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:59 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Good to hear you are ready to take the plunge and kudos for having a plan - and sticking to it.

Not sure how much you know so apologies if you figured this out already. C2S came with black calipers (unless exclusive option) - C4S came with red. That car has has some mods - front bumperette fill (or euro version fitted), rear bumperettes painted body color, suspension change, pedals, wheels etc. You may want to contact and verify all mods to make sure you happy with them all. If no weird stories - it looks nice (except wheels IMHO but as you said, minor mod to change them).

Good luck
Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Sicko,

Sorry, can you clarify more..the front bumper contains non-oem parts so a possible respray with different parts used?

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko

Nice ride, check out the "repair history on that car. (rock chips, non OE parts (unless that is not importiant to you.)
Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Thanks Limey,

In all my research I missed the red vs black caliper point. No wonder so many mbrs paint there own!

I will make contact.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Good to hear you are ready to take the plunge and kudos for having a plan - and sticking to it.

Not sure how much you know so apologies if you figured this out already. C2S came with black calipers (unless exclusive option) - C4S came with red. That car has has some mods - front bumperette fill (or euro version fitted), rear bumperettes painted body color, suspension change, pedals, wheels etc. You may want to contact and verify all mods to make sure you happy with them all. If no weird stories - it looks nice (except wheels IMHO but as you said, minor mod to change them).

Good luck
Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

If you want it fully checked out, get one (or more) PPI's done at an independent garage (the dealer are knowing less and less about these cars), and also take it to a good body shop - they will pick out problems and repaints easily.

Best of luck! Be patient, I know its hard, but if you find what you want, buy it!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definetly has a lowered suspension. Post for or search "PPI in Austin" on this forum and Pelican or contact PCA club for that region. I think the wheels detract from the value of that white car but that is purely subjective. If you don't mind a tiptronic check out the blue/tan 98' on ebay. Priced the same as this one with 1/2 the miles.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

May be just the picture, but I don't see the option code sticker underneath the front hood. May signal that a hood replacement has been done...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
geordie
Pro

I tend to think you can tell a lot about a car and the seller by the ad. In this case I'm hugely underwhelmed.

If I was in the market for a sorted C2S, I'd seriously consider Academitech's.
Great colour, multiple fastidious Rennlist owners, higher mileage but offset by the fact that it has had a top-end rebuild.

No affiliation and enjoy the chase ....
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

A couple of things that jump out:

- The options sticker is missing under the trunk lid. Has the hood been replaced?

- The hood closed picture looks off - like the left side of the hood isn't closing right.

- If you look throught the front grill down low where outside air goes in to the RH and LH heat exchangers the area behind is white (body color). That is not correct. It should be a black.

The car may have had a front end experience at some point.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
cmd4
Pro

Yeah that car does have a history unfortunately.When it popped up about 6 months i called and talked to the owner.It was his dads collection and now the son bought it,kinda a arrogant guy honestly and was trying to tell me kow rare it was,he didn't have a clue really.He did have it on craigslist for 39k not to long ago.Gotta love that white though.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Thank you...

Did a search for Academitech with no luck in the For Sale forum or the 993. Do you know where his threat is?

Thank you again!

Originally Posted by geordie
I tend to think you can tell a lot about a car and the seller by the ad. In this case I'm hugely underwhelmed.

If I was in the market for a sorted C2S, I'd seriously consider Academitech's.
Great colour, multiple fastidious Rennlist owners, higher mileage but offset by the fact that it has had a top-end rebuild.

No affiliation and enjoy the chase ....
Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Thanks everyone...this is what makes a forum/membership worthwhile. Again...want to get this right the first time!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hawgdriver
Thank you...

Did a search for Academitech with no luck in the For Sale forum or the 993. Do you know where his threat is?

Thank you again!
Here you go: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...2s-fs-36k.html
Old 01-10-2012, 04:16 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...2s-fs-36k.html

In my opinion I would consider this car over the white one. Like others have said, it has had multiple RL owners, so you know the history, top end done recently, silver is a nice color.

Edit Pecosbill beat me to it!!

Quick Reply: Wanting to jump...want a C2S; thoughts?