Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

History of Mice in heater box...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default History of Mice in heater box...

What is the deal with mice and 993s? This is the second car I've seen with either evidence of mice living in center tunnel or actual mice needing to be removed from heater box area more than once. I am considering making an offer on a 96 targa that has had mice removed by Porsche dealer on more than one occasion. Last occasion was 12/17/2007. Looks to have not been a problem for last 4 years.

Should I be concerned about ancillary damage?

Thx, Brian
Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

That's one more reason why mine's in here...
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

People think I'm paranoid for having mouse traps all over the garage...Well, yes, I am! I try to never leave any garage doors open unless they're in my field of vision. All possible cracks and crevices have been filled.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not only in the heater boxes or center tunnel. They also like to snuggle on top of the cylinders.

Here is mine when I opened up my engine.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

BBQ'ed rodent..... yum yum. A delicacy in some parts of the world.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

When I bought my car the PPI revealed that mice had lived in my engine compartment at one time. Chunks of the sound pad were missing and there was a ground wire on the harness that had part of its casing chewed off with the copper exposed. The tech wasn't concerned about it and said that it is something that could be fixed when the engine was removed. A few years ago, I did remove the engine to change the clutch and at the same time I removed the alternator to install an RS pulley. I then found what happened to the missing sound pad as there were piles of it on top of the engine underneath the fan shroud. I also fixed the wiring by soldering in a new piece.

Bottom line, I'd be concerned about compromised wiring casing. Mice will chew anything. And much of the wiring in the 993 is hard to see or to get to without engine removal.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I guess mice just have good taste in cars
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

This has worked for me.

I learned from a friend who owns a restaurant about these ultrasonic devices. He used them, and swore it worked really well as his place was by a river and he never had a problem with mice or rats.

So the first time I saw evidence of mice in the garage I bought one. I paid quite a bit more than this and got a more sophisticated device, but it has worked well for me for almost 20 years.

The one time afterward when I found a mouse in the garage (I think he came in on my wife's car which was parked outside for a few days) it was literally running in circles as if the sound was driving it crazy. I then opened the garage door a crack and he left never to return.

Some people say these doesn't work, even some scientists, but my experience is positive. You do need to follow the directions and alternate frequencies from time to time. It is more of a discouragement to the mice and the sound-waves can be obnoxious to your ears too when on loud.

I've set mine up mid-height on a shelf in the corner of a finished three car garage, so it broadcasts well and the sound bounces off the walls.

I think I paid about $125. around 20 years ago for a unit somewhat like this ( same brand) so maybe the price has come down. I always move the volume to loud in the fall. It makes kind of a squelching sound. It is really a deterrent type of device, not an eradicator.

Best of luck.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the info. I am very concerned about damaged wiring and potentially unwanted "smells". Easy enough to install a BirdX type sonic device (I have one in my attic). Anyone know how dogs would react to this though? FYI: I have 'wintered' a convertible corvette for 5 winters without any problems that I am aware of so was wondering if the 993 just seems more appealing to the mice? Maybe they really are "Porsche" guys...Ha Ha.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Got a tip the other day...FWIW

Keep a box of DeCon in the engine compartment. Also, leave the engine lid open, something about mice not liking an open area.

I keep my car in a trailer which is pretty well sealed up, I hope!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have traps all over my garage as well but fixing the warped garage door solved the problem. It was only off about 1/4" but that's all it took. It isn't just the 993 model that is appealing to mice because my old '96 Formula had a full nest and dead mouse inside the blower fan unit when I brought it in to the dealership. They laughed about how common it was. Same issue with another car at one time. This time behind the glove box. Unfortunately there is a smell attached with these critters or the nest that they build. It is difficult to remove or mask.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:44 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

What is DeCon ?

Thanks Tom
Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default D-con

http://www.d-conproducts.com/

Mouse killer bait!!!

Quick Reply: History of Mice in heater box...