Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: Need help with classic car emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT: Need help with classic car emissions

I need to tap the awesome array of talent and automotive expertise that regularly posts on this board (is that enough brown-nosing for you guys?).

I have a '63 Austin-Healey BJ7 that I to gave my wife for her ##'th birthday (she won't let me post her actual age). I live in a metro area that is currently on the EPA's air quality s**tlist . So, we get all the wonderful benefits of oxygenated fuel and draconian annual vehicle inspections, which apparently also apply to vehicles built during the Kennedy administration. As a result, I can't get the Healey through the emissions portion of the inspection. I replaced the plugs, points cap and rotor and leaned all three carbs out until the car barely ran, and still failed the hydrocarbon portion of the test by 200%.
So, do any of you have any suggestions for getting this car through the emissions test?
Moving somewhere else is not an option at this time. But it sure is tempting.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Your state expects cars that were never built to pass any particular emissions standards to pass some pre-determned standard? There MUST be some way to get an old car around these regulations... it simply makes no sense. BTW... I have owned two Healey 3000s... a BJ7 and a BJ8. I loved owning them, but I didn't much care for driving them. What a classic shape! Good luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your state (TN?) have classic car or antique tags? In PA, cars with classic tags are exempt from emission testing.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a start:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/blogs/u...missions-tests
Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a Healy, 1959 100-6, and yes is slurped a lot of fuel. can you retrofit (temporarily of course) an intake form another British car , maybe a old sedan that has a single throat carburettor?

Just a thought... and good luck, this law really sucks!

Bert
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Geez, at least even Calif draws the line at 75's and older. And we get all the snide comments.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Got a friend in West Memphis? (wink-wink)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Here's the main problem, as I see it: The State of Tennessee does have an exemption for classic or antique cars. However, the City of Memphis has a much more strict city ordinance in place, which apparently supersedes the state law. The ordinance was put in place in an effort to comply with EPA air quality standards, with no wording in it that addresses classic or antique cars. And there is absolutely no sympathy in the bureaucracy for "car guys".
What is y'all's opinion of this idea: I buy a used catalytic converter and make up a temporary exhaust system solely for the purpose of passing the emissions test. Think it'll work?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Regretfully, no. It will probably foul the "cat" in no time. I can't believe you're the only person in Memphis with this problem. You need to investigate what other owners of antique/classic/sports cars are doing. Check with the various local owner's clubs or find a "relative" outside of Shelby County!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 AM
GRINBOB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Add a quart of white lightning to the gas, then test!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Curious on why would not the cat work? It only has to work from the garage to the emissions station and back. I have had smoking engines working on cats that lasted for months scrubbing the crap out, and I know because the vehicle passed emissions.

Cheers

Mike
Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 AM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

I would register it as antique and only drive it on weekends.... you don't need an emissions test in Memphis for a vehicle with Antique registration.
Under state law, "general transportation" is not considered to be weekend driving. Under the Memphis ordinance "general transportation" it is not defined. I would not hesitate to use the definition in the state law.

City of Memphis Ordinance.

Sec. 21-301 The following definitions shall apply to this article:

(2) Antique motor vehicle is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old which is owned solely as a collectors’ item and is used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar uses, but in no event for general transportation.

Sec. 21-306 Exemptions from Motor Vehicle Emission Requirements(
(1) The following classes of motor vehicles are exempt from the emission requirements established in Sections 21-304 and 21-305 of this Chapter:
a) Antique motor vehicles with antique registration;
b) Electric powered light-duty vehicles;
c) Motorcycles;
d) Motor scooters;
e) New motor vehicles registered for first time.
f) Tactical military vehicles;
g) Vehicles over 26,000 GVWR

Per Tennessee Code Ann. § 55-4-111, a person may register a vehicle as an

“antique motor vehicle” providing that certain requirements are satisfied. The vehicle:

• Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body,

• Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours,

parades, and similar uses as a collector’s item,

• Can only be used for general transportation on Saturday and Sunday, and

• Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing

maintenance on the vehicle.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 AM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Another possible argument is that to drive a British car is a continuous test drive. Believe me I have several.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE
I would register it as antique and only drive it on weekends.... you don't need an emissions test in Memphis for a vehicle with Antique registration.
Under state law, "general transportation" is not considered to be weekend driving. Under the Memphis ordinance "general transportation" it is not defined. I would not hesitate to use the definition in the state law.

City of Memphis Ordinance.

Sec. 21-301 The following definitions shall apply to this article:

(2) Antique motor vehicle is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old which is owned solely as a collectors’ item and is used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar uses, but in no event for general transportation.

Sec. 21-306 Exemptions from Motor Vehicle Emission Requirements(
(1) The following classes of motor vehicles are exempt from the emission requirements established in Sections 21-304 and 21-305 of this Chapter:
a) Antique motor vehicles with antique registration;
b) Electric powered light-duty vehicles;
c) Motorcycles;
d) Motor scooters;
e) New motor vehicles registered for first time.
f) Tactical military vehicles;
g) Vehicles over 26,000 GVWR

Per Tennessee Code Ann. § 55-4-111, a person may register a vehicle as an

“antique motor vehicle” providing that certain requirements are satisfied. The vehicle:

• Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body,

• Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours,

parades, and similar uses as a collector’s item,

• Can only be used for general transportation on Saturday and Sunday, and

• Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing

maintenance on the vehicle.
CASE CLOSED!! I knew something was wrong with the picture the OP was stating. You beat me to looking it up. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3Healey,

Best of luck trying to work this out, I really hope that this is not a precursor to what's coming for everyone else.
It sounds like members of the Corvette clubs etc have had the same problem.
I think it's ridiculous that you would need to register your car as a "classic" and be limited to driving it on weekends. Try running some higher octane fuel and if you want a catalytic converter PM me and I will get you a good deal on one, I just need your exhaust specs and engine size. We (magnaflow) have some high flow cats that will get you through this without making much of an impact on your exhaust flow.

Quick Reply: OT: Need help with classic car emissions