Sponsored by: DashLynx

I just switched from RSRs to Stage IIs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just switched from RSRs to Stage IIs

I picked up my car from RMG yesterday, and have taken it out for a few spirited runs, including several full-load, redline flurries.

Bottom line: My preliminary assessment is that the IIs are a brilliant/fitting tribute to the air-cooled 911 sound of yore - with a bit more "bite," "snarl" and "wail" thrown in. To me, the pitch captures the classic 911 sound that is so sorely missing from other aftermarket exhausts. In fairness, the RSRs were good in this regard too.

I'm sure that it will sound kind of weird to say this, but the IIs have a certain nuanced sophistication and elegance about them, whereas the RSRs have a relentlessly blunt attack. Kind of like the difference between Hemispheres and Reign in Blood (or, to those of you who don't know the esoteric, music-geek reference, think Led Zeppelin vs. Black Sabbath). Both are excellent, and I love both, but one is more complex and interesting than the other.

Also, for whatever reason (real or imagined - likely imagined due to the different exhaust note characteristics throughout the rev range), the engine feels more powerful and like it's breathing better with the IIs than with the RSRs (which I had on my car for over 5 years).

Even though, at this point, I somewhat miss the cabin noise that the RSRs generated (especially between 2,500 and 2,800 rpm while cruising in 6th), I think I can confidently say that the Stage IIs will be on my car for many years to come.

Excellent work, Mr. Fister.

Harry

Last edited by Harry L; 01-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:29 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I concur. I've enjoyed the switch from RSR's to Stg II's too. The harmonics from the latter are spot on and exactly how I'd expect an air cooled flat-6 to sound. Its just a shame that the passers-by get to hear their full potential.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious, but did you consider the StageIIIs before going with the IIs?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For myself I did, but since I couldn't hear a set in person, chickened out and went with the II's. No regrets whatsoever.

I need to figure out a way to place a microphone out back and have it play through the stereo system...... then I'd be in aural nirvana
Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Enjoy the flat six symphony! . . .

I noticed the same thing about the engine breathing . .

It is probably just my imagination but the car seemed to breathe a little easier, and seemingly accelerated a slight bit quicker. Maybe it was just the cool morning air.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tizens-in.html

From when I installed mine a few months back.

Regards,
Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm really happy to read these types of threads...My Stage IIs are being produced as I type this!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
clvig
Rennlist Member

Fister makes the best sounding exhaust i have ever heard and owned.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

I have heard Stage IIIs in person, and, for lack of a better word, they have a snarl and rasp that I can only describe as "wicked" - goosebumps kind of wicked. Kind of like a 911 track car.

But my car is a daily driver (which includes client meetings/lunches, etc.), and on the subtle end of the RL-mod spectrum - so there was never any question that the IIs were the right call for me.

If my car were a weekend and/or track toy, I almost certainly would have gone with IIIs.

Harry
Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by _boman
I'm really happy to read these types of threads...My Stage IIs are being produced as I type this!
Ditto, my Stage II's are being delivered today!!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for the opinion on RSR's vs. FD II's. I've had RSR's on my Carrera S for a number of years and while they are better than the stock mufflers, I have just never thought they did the car justice and leave me with a "ho-hum" feeling regarding their sound. They've always left me wanting a little more and a slightly more classic sound. I've had B&B's (just not the right sound for a 993) and Fabspeed Supercups (sound fantastic but waaay too loud to live with on a daily basis and a deafening drone to boot) and based on input from others I think the Stage II are the better choice over RSR's. I think swapping my RSR's for Stage II's is going to be my Spring mod.

Cheers.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

congrat's!!!

I love my Stage lll's. The idle is wicked, I honestly believe that the oem big ovals act like megaphones. The car is louder at idle 50 feet away, that it is at 10. The warm engine restart is pure aural exctasy, that immediate baaaaarrrrp.

enjoy
Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry L
Excellent work, Mr. Fister.

Harry
Thanks Harry.
Since I'm a musician, I love the musical perspective you presented...and I totally get it!

Originally Posted by coreseller
Ditto, my Stage II's are being delivered today!!
Check your porch. UPS shows them delivered!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

I just went straight for the IIIs. The sound at WOT is just ridiculously amazing!!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

[QUOTE=FisterD;9199970

Check your porch. UPS shows them delivered![/QUOTE]

Looks like the belated Santa stopped by. Ahhhh, nothing like a man of his word. Thanks Darin.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Fister Stage III's: "Wicked", "Aural ecstacy"...yeah...that pretty much describes 'em! I'd sooner give up AC than my Stage III's (That way, I could roll down the windows and hear 'em better!).

Quick Reply: I just switched from RSRs to Stage IIs