Sponsored by: DashLynx

California emissions and the 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leander
My notification said to take it to a Test Only or a Gold Shield station. I took it to a Test Only. It passed emissions, but the technician asked if the battery had been out, as it failed the OBD2. He told me to take it on a long drive, with everything on - A/C, high beams, etc., and to hope that would reset the codes.

Instead of doing that, recalling reading that, in similar circumstances, several Rennlist members had taken their cars to the BAR referee, paid the $8.50 certificate fee, and were sent happily on their way, I decided to do the same. Only to find that the rules must have changed some time in the near past. The referee did a whole bunch of tests and came back to tell me what I already knew - the codes had not reset. The only advice he had was that I needed to pay a repair center a bunch of money, then return and get a waiver. At least I didn't have to pay the $8.50...

Just for the hell of it, I called the local dealer. Their estimate to reset the codes is $465 plus tax, and it would take 2 days.

All this for a car that easily passed emissions and does not have the CEL on. Its only crime was to have had a new battery put in (by the dealer) a little while ago.
I was just down this road last year. No pun intended. Same exact scenario. Exact same advice from my smog guy. Which didn't work. Smog referee was a waste of time and effort. But I was adamant that I was not going to give the stealer $400. If you do a search, you should find my thread here on RL. Bottom line, the BMW driving sequence is doable. However, it isn't easy to do. And any deviation from it, can and probably will, cause you to be unsuccessful. Borrow a code scanner, so you will know if you need to do the procedure a second, or third time. In the end, after I was done, my codes still were not set. Then later that evening I checked them again and bingo! My codes had all set.

It's a real PITA, but you can do it. Best of luck.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Leon993
Racer

Thanks guys! Very useful information. My job interview process is going good, just got back from LA and I really hope I get the job! THE CAR CULTURE DOWN THEE IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!

Please pray that I get this job, cause my bags are packed!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 AM
owen meany
Instructor

Good luck with the job. California is a fantastic place to drive. Get some 200 cell cats. My c4s had them and the thing sounded awesome and breathed very easily (the car that its).
Thanks for listening.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"are you sure that it was the battery change that triggered your OBD failure code? "

Read here at the bottom of the page on what will reset (make the vehicle not ready for
an emissions test) the readiness codes:

http://www.systemsc.com/codes.htm

And remember, that the setting of the readiness codes requires two complete trips
(a cold engine start and a drive per trip) and in some cases three trips. So without
a Porsche factory tester, a readiness code setting may require, as a minimum,
a two day effort.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM
owen meany
Instructor

I did that drive one day and it is a HUGE pain in the ***. Watch out for picking up nails and screws if you're forced to drive on the breakdown lane.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the trick to setting the readiness flags is to find a place where you can drive for 140 seconds (if memory serves) in second gear at 1.2% throttle - it's hard to keep the power level where it needs to be for this particular test, and you need to do it twice - the map earlier in this thread highlights where I have been able to set those flags. It's very helpful to have an OBDII reader with you that will display the dynamic data, and a passengar to watch the reader for you - make the drive and then have dinner and do it again. The dealers do the same thing but they usually have a fancier tool where they can see the counter that sets the flag -
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"It's very helpful to have an OBDII reader with you that will display the dynamic data"

Basically useless, other than determining if a fault code exists!

Quick Reply: California emissions and the 993