Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porsche 993 Factory Cup II Wheels--a thing of beauty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Novahojoe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Porsche 993 Factory Cup II Wheels--a thing of beauty?

I am looking to replace some aftermarket 17" turbo twist style wheels on my newly acquired 1997 Guards Red 993.

It originally came with the cup II 17" wheels from Porsche. Are these worthy wheels? Weight and quality wise to warrant replacing my 'made in Italy' twist Lookalikes? It seems like 17" zr rubber isn't quite as spendy as well.

Part numbers for the 993 NB cup II's:

7J x 17 ET (mm) 55 Part Number: 993 362 124 00
9J x 17 ET (mm) 55 Part Number: 993 362 128 00 61M

Just wanting to get her back to 100% bone stock. So any help on where to look would also be appreciated.

Current car details:

1997 C2 Coupe 993 6-speed with 19,400 mi. Guards Red w/ Classic Grey partial leather interior, zero options other than in-dash CD, color crest caps...also MIA, and the CO2 emissions for North America.

Pics to come...

I've been waiting to replace my last baby for some time.

My previous car:

Was a '96 Polar Silver with Midnight Blue coupe, 43K, tiptronic. It had the beautiful Sport Classic II wheels and a bunch of other tasty options. Crest embossed in the headrest, driver and pass 12-way seats, on and on...come to think of it I need to change my avatar to the new German Beauty.

Let the spending begin...as my wife said when I found the red coupe :-)
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Novahojoe
Just wanting to get her back to 100% bone stock. So any help on where to look would also be appreciated.
I know where you're coming from. I like them that way as well.

BTW, the 61M at the tail end of one of your part numbers, is the color code.

Cup II wheels come up for sale on Rennlist quite often. Preferably, you'd like to get a set that hasn't been refinished because who knows to what extent the wheels were refinished (dents, cracks, etc). If they have a few scratches, you can then have them refinished to your standard.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not a fan at all of the twists. To me, Porsche screwed the pooch when they didn't make them with rights and lefts to keep symmetry.

I keep looking at whether I need new wheels, and I keep thinking I like the cups.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Coltranes
Advanced

Let me hear a little more about that former car.

Just sold the Sport Classic IIs for MY02s that were painted in matching Polar Silver.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Novahojoe
AutoX

Originally Posted by Coltranes
Let me hear a little more about that former car.

Just sold the Sport Classic IIs for MY02s that were painted in matching Polar Silver.
There isn't a single day that goes by that I don't miss your beautiful car. Between the Article Silver and the Polar Silver colors my heart belongs to the Polar variety which isn't as common as the Arctic and no longer a standard color for Porsche. I would just assume special order a new 991 in Polar silver. It would then be tough to choose between red or blue interior colors. I would love to have that sort of a delima :-)

I read that you had been looking for some of the MY02s. With the matching color that has got to be seriously nice.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm not a fan at all of the twists. To me, Porsche screwed the pooch when they didn't make them with rights and lefts to keep symmetry.

I keep looking at whether I need new wheels, and I keep thinking I like the cups.
Same here I am probably just a little obsessive but the spokes pointing different directions based on the side of the car would drive me crazy.

Not a cost cutting short cut that should have been made.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Let the spending begin...as my wife said when I found the red coupe :-)
She's a keeper

Congrats on the new purchase. GR FTW!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Novahojoe
AutoX

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I know where you're coming from. I like them that way as well.

BTW, the 61M at the tail end of one of your part numbers, is the color code.

Cup II wheels come up for sale on Rennlist quite often. Preferably, you'd like to get a set that hasn't been refinished because who knows to what extent the wheels were refinished (dents, cracks, etc). If they have a few scratches, you can then have them refinished to your standard.
Originally Posted by Ed Hughes

IXLR8, good to know about the 61M being a color code. Suffice it to say refinished wheels could be any color...on each wheel too. Yucky. Porsche 993 owner standards seem to be a tad higher than most meat popsicles :-) I guess at times we present as being quite neurotic--just like the designer, engineers, builders, technicians of Porsche

Ed, I am with you on the bi-polar, non-symmetrical twists. The drivers side when compared to the passenger side wheels definitely don't match. When in motion the drivers side seems to look like a reverse style of motion. I am good with the side mirrors being all Porsche and different for a reason :-) 'hey your mirrors don't match dude'....LOL.

OK. I'm looking for an original set of Cup II's, not refinished or molested.

Wheel Enhancement here I come. I wish :-) A new set would cost some serious dough

Last edited by Novahojoe; 04-01-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Name correction
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Novahojoe
AutoX

Originally Posted by P-daddy
She's a keeper

Congrats on the new purchase. GR FTW!
My wife said that there was room for one more girl. That spot is now filled by the Guards Red 993. I will be keeping both girls.

Hail to our understanding partners. It must not be easy to be involved with people so clearly involved with their P-cars
Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Suffice it to say refinished wheels could be any color.
That is one of the reasons I bought a spare set of 17" Cup IIs.

I plan to refinish my spare wheels in a darker shade to contrast the Speed Yellow. Something like a gun metal, but not too dark. The spares also come in handy when you want to refinish your other set of wheels.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Agreed on the cup II's, even on the wide body C2S. Considering a trade for 996 TT wheels for cup II's.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I had the italian replica 17" twists on my car and now have the original cup 2's which I very much like. They are much lighter than the replicas, have the correct offset and the car looks right. Personally I also believe that the car rides and handles better with 17's. My favourite 993 wheel is the Sport Classic 17".

Berni
Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they're just the right size and not too busy for a narrow body that's been lowered.

Name:  DSC00897.jpg
Views: 30842
Size:  335.5 KB

Name:  DSC00892.jpg
Views: 15964
Size:  164.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
Oberst (01-20-2023)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

I was sure that I only wanted the 18in turbo twists when I was looking for my car. I found the right car and it had 17in Cup IIs. The more I looked at them the more I loved them. Now I think they are the perfect wheel for the 993. I still like the turbo twists but there is something about the simple clean design of the cup IIs.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

I think Cup IIs are a pretty-close second to the all-time greats: 16" black-center Fuchs.

Harry

Last edited by Harry L; 09-30-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 Factory Cup II Wheels--a thing of beauty?