Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thank you Mr. Valentine

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:17 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Grant-- Glad you and Chuck had a blast ... & didn't make any unplanned 'friends'
Originally Posted by 993BillW

The bogey counter saved a few people following me on the way back from Palooza.
Originally Posted by 3healey

I was one of the guys following you.
Me, three!

('Til now, thought David & Rachel were the only ones with detectors. Good on ya )

Last edited by curve lover; 06-17-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Grant-- Glad you and Chuck had a blast ... & didn't make any unplanned 'friends'

Me, three!

('Til now, thought David & Rachel were the only ones with detectors. Good on ya )
Mine is mounted just above the rear view mirror with the cable running around the windshield frame. You can't see it in that photo but it provides good coverage.

On the way back from C-n-C a couple weeks ago I went by a kid in a rice rocket (with out of state plates) and he was trying to flag me to slow down because his detector was going off. He couldn't see my V1 so I already knew about it. It's right at the end of the airport runway and always trips the detectors there. I just keep it at 8 over just in case they're hiding there under the cover of the false alarm. I appreciated his concern and waved thanks to him any way.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
3healy- what's a guy from Tennesee doing loosing it at Canada Corner??
Did you really recognize Canada from my avatar picture?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My V1 has paid for itself many times over. In the last month I got nailed twice by NY State Troopers in my truck. The first the V1 went full on Kband after I cleared an earthen mound. Second time it never went off at all. Somehow talked my way out of both which is great. First guy smiled as he told me I could put the radar detector back in the windshield! Wondering if somethings wrong with the V1 or if NY has new toys.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

3healey- If I had a dollar for everytime I've either sat at that spot or taken that corner myself (been in the gravel a few times before they paved most of it) I'd be driving a CGT!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM
blee321
Advanced

Originally Posted by ARM993
My V1 has paid for itself many times over. In the last month I got nailed twice by NY State Troopers in my truck. The first the V1 went full on Kband after I cleared an earthen mound. Second time it never went off at all. Somehow talked my way out of both which is great. First guy smiled as he told me I could put the radar detector back in the windshield! Wondering if somethings wrong with the V1 or if NY has new toys.
I'm curious about this. Anyone have any info?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
I briefly met Mike V a few weeks ago at a restaurant... we were out to eat with a couple who knew him, but didn't know he'd be there. When he walked through the door they said hello, and of course we did too. He spent five minutes talking with us, ignoring his dinner companions. Very nice guy, very personable. All the best to him.

Of course I did forget to ask about upgrading my unit... dang, it's about 15 years old now, and while it needs it bad, it still hasn't let me down. Maybe OH is that far behind the times...
He is a regular at many local PCA events (mostly DEs at Mid Ohio) and a fellow instructor. Very nice guy - a bit geeky as you would imagine, but a great fellow car guy.

Drives a nice Carrera GT too.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

On the way back from C-n-C a couple weeks ago I went by a kid in a rice rocket (with out of state plates) and he was trying to flag me to slow down because his detector was going off. He couldn't see my V1 so I already knew about it. It's right at the end of the airport runway and always trips the detectors there. I just keep it at 8 over just in case they're hiding there under the cover of the false alarm. I appreciated his concern and waved thanks to him any way.
I once had my detector go off while driving highway 78 in NJ. I slowed down and hung back in the middle lane waiting to pass the cop, when I see a Boxster at high speed coming up the left lane. He clearly did not have a radar detector. So I let him come up almost abreast of me, then switched into his lane, forcing him to slow down and pass me on the right. As he passed, I knew I'd get at least a dirty look (and maybe the finger) but it turned into a smile and a thumbs up when he saw me holding my brightly lit up V1 for him to see. He slowed it down, we both passed by the cop in the median, then picked up the pace and went on our merry ways. I felt like I'd done a good deed that day.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy St. Valentine's day, everyone!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blee321
I'm curious about this. Anyone have any info?
Sounds like the first one is a close-in, instant-on encounter with K-band (ie: the cop was a skilled operator).

The second one sounds either like VASCAR (no radar, no laser, just a distance counter, a stopwatch and a good vantage point) or he was paced (the old-fashioned way).

There's little defense against either of these - and I'm as enthusiastic about my V1 as the rest of the posters here.

Regards to all.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. Guess I'll be the nanny patrol here, but I'm surprised no one else wanted to bring up the issue of passing a minivan with a distracted driver while going over 100mph ON THE RIGHT. Worst decision one can make. I guarantee she's not looking for you and will not see you as she cuts you off even if she did an appropriate look since your rate of closure is too great. Just be careful out there. We just had a somewhat related post of someone hitting some black ice and putting his beloved 993 into a tree. Can't always predict it all, just some of it.

--Brian
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much to say except that I have a V1 for many years and a clean record. Love arrows.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
blee321
Advanced

I bought my V1 a about 7-8 years back and I just pluged my serial number and got the following:
"V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.8.A-POP2 with Euro Mode.

Comment: This is our latest and best performer on both radar and laser.

Upgrade Recommendation: You already have our best performer, enhanced by crystal-controlled frequency tuning. More recent V1s, however, have two additional features. Traffic Monitor Filter eliminates the K-band false alarms caused by a traffic flow-measuring system being installed along some U. S. highways. SpeedInfo sends frequent K-band radar bursts into the traffic stream (www.speedinfo.com to learn more). If you drive in an area with one of these systems, this upgrade will pay off immediately. Extended Serial Protocol (ESP) enhances two-way communication with SAVVY and future peripheral devices.
"

Is the upgrade worth 199$? can anyone attest to the upgrade. Thanks!
Brian
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't know they have a way to eliminate the Traffic Monitor K-Band- I've experienced these in Ventura and Santa Barbara- extremely annoying.

Also- for the poster whose V1 didn't sound when radar was used on his car- I've had one of my V1s go out of calibration- and the "your speed is" signs didn't set off the detector. Sent back to Valentine for re-calibration, problem solved.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup, used (and loved) Bel's for many years but after getting my V1 last year I don't know how I lived without those arrows. Only wish the LED's for the various radar types were easier to read (or diff colors).
Originally Posted by KM
A while back there was guy modifying remote display units, changing the individual red LEDs for each band to different colors. Picked one up and love it. Made a big difference for me, especially at night. (Except for laser, I can't seem to memorize the different 'beeps' for each band.) Not sure if he's still doing it. Might be worth a search.
Here is the link to the website for the Color LED remote units.
http://www.fullcolordefense.com/main_CD2.html
http://www.fullcolordefense.com/main_CD.html
Unfortunately, All items and services will be unavailable until May 2013.

Quick Reply: Thank you Mr. Valentine