Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thank you Mr. Valentine

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 AM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thank you Mr. Valentine

So, I was taking my friend Chuck for a ride in my newly lowered (PSS10s), corner-balanced (Thanks, Pat), freshly shod (Sumi HTR ZIII) 993. At about XXX mph on a mostly deserted section of four-lane freeway, my V1 burped. Glancing at the display, I saw the threat was in front of me. So, I stabbed the brakes and downshifted to fifth. I had just passed some kind of Honda mommy-crossover that was trundling along in the left lane, so I stayed in the right lane and let the Honda overtake me just as a County Mounty came over the hill in the oncoming lane.
As Chuck said, "That would probably have required the services of an attorney."
Thank you Mr. Valentine.

(The actual speed has been withheld to protect the obscenely guilty)
Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Yap.... V1 has saved me countless times. We just did a 2100 mile round trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. V1 was with us the whole trip.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 of them. They pay for themselves many times over. THe radar locater function is especially useful at night when you can't see where they are hiding.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

V1 is a license saver. There are some idiots on Rennlist who actually question the efficacy of the arrows.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Phew! Another V1 save. Three digits would have been ugly. My V1 is always in the Pcar and it has saved me many times.

It is interesting that I drive about the same on the freeway if I'm in the 993 or in my beige Jetta daily driver. Law enforcement cannot see the Jetta but they have very good eyesight when I'm in the Porsche.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, used (and loved) Bel's for many years but after getting my V1 last year I don't know how I lived without those arrows. Only wish the LED's for the various radar types were easier to read (or diff colors).
Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V1 was hardwired in my 09' with 2 weeks of purchase. Still need to get my old Blinder's re-installed.

Rich-nice to hear from you. You are my hero. 1 owner-gazzillon miles
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Yup, used (and loved) Bel's for many years but after getting my V1 last year I don't know how I lived without those arrows. Only wish the LED's for the various radar types were easier to read (or diff colors).
A while back there was guy modifying remote display units, changing the individual red LEDs for each band to different colors. Picked one up and love it. Made a big difference for me, especially at night. (Except for laser, I can't seem to memorize the different 'beeps' for each band.) Not sure if he's still doing it. Might be worth a search.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KM
A while back there was guy modifying remote display units, changing the individual red LEDs for each band to different colors. Picked one up and love it. Made a big difference for me, especially at night. (Except for laser, I can't seem to memorize the different 'beeps' for each band.) Not sure if he's still doing it. Might be worth a search.
I had that guy do a few of my remote displays....we gave a discount for multiple units so you could do a group buy. He used to sell on eBay. The different color LEDs is a great idea since it allows you to place the display on the edge of your periphery as all you need is a quick glance to see the color. This modified display along with the remote mute button (also available on eBay) are two great mods for the V1

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
V1 is a license saver. There are some idiots on Rennlist who actually question the efficacy of the arrows.
the arrows AND the bogey counters
Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
the arrows AND the bogey counters
The bogey counter saved my *** (and a few people following me) on the way back from Palooza last year. A couple of other times too.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The bogey counter saved my *** (and a few people following me) on the way back from Palooza last year. A couple of other times too.
Yeah, Bill, I was one of the guys following you. That trip convinced me to buy the Valentine.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold mine after getting popped with laser twice. The thing damn near jumped off the windshield, it was beeping so frenetically, but I paid hundreds in fines just the same. Now I'm a mellower driver since it's gone and I'm not jolted every 30 seconds.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I briefly met Mike V a few weeks ago at a restaurant... we were out to eat with a couple who knew him, but didn't know he'd be there. When he walked through the door they said hello, and of course we did too. He spent five minutes talking with us, ignoring his dinner companions. Very nice guy, very personable. All the best to him.

Of course I did forget to ask about upgrading my unit... dang, it's about 15 years old now, and while it needs it bad, it still hasn't let me down. Maybe OH is that far behind the times...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

3healy- what's a guy from Tennesee doing loosing it at Canada Corner???

First thing I do when I get a car is hardwire it for the V1. Especially like the upgrade options, as I get a new one every few years for a good price!!!

Quick Reply: Thank you Mr. Valentine