Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hit and Run

Trophy from Saturday night. Started to change lanes, and next thing I know I'm being bumped back in to the middle lane. I start slowing and pulling over and...the bastard takes off in to traffic. I checked my mirrors and over my shoulder, best I can figure is he came up fast from behind in the HOV lane. Not knowing how bad my car was I just did the calm, cool, mature thing and just let the f***er go. All I've got is, "Silver SUV of some sort," and an estimated 0% chance of justice according to the WSP trooper. At least I wasn't the only one, I guess he responded to another hit and ran on an F430 earlier in the day. "Bad day for luxury cars today," he says. Indeed officer, indeed.

Front fender looks to be the worst off. Mirror and rear wheel are just scuffed it looks. Rear quarter will need some work though. Guess I could have pursued without worries but I suppose that is hindsight now. Now I get to start another body shop adventure, which I think might be the worst part of all of this. Guess it's a good thing I hadn't gotten around to replacing the stone guards yet?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, sorry to hear about this. Dang...

There are lots of folks without insurance and who don't give a rip.

It will be better than new!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

Sorry to hear. That really sucks. I'm also impressed with your coll head. Not sure I would have had the ability to not give chase.
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but if it ever happens again, just zero your focus on his license plate so you can get his plate number and they can track him down.

Sorry for your loss, but it's minor and will look good as new soon enough. Might even be time for some mods that you want to do as well?

Good luck.
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Another reason for front and rear facing HD in-car video cameras.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Might even be time for some mods that you want to do as well?
GT2 conversion FTW!!

JK! Sorry about your luck, hopefully the car will be as good as new in no time!
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

GD!! Sorry to hear this Travis. Hope you get her all sorted out and looking like new again soon.
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

sorry to hear, but...a set of GT2 fenders will cover those spots quite nicely!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, it sucks. It's happened to me before (not in the Porsche, thankfully), and if you ever want better than 0% chance of anything happening you have to chase them down yourself. And get the plate number, don't try the confrontation, not worth it. But now you have a chance at getting some justice.

The reason the police quote 0% is because that's how much time they'll spend trying to help you with your problem.

My success rate in this type of situation is 100%, only because I did all the work. And only because after I did all the work I was adamant they do something. Including going above the police chief's head, including making embarrassing comments to the local newspaper about the incident. I got justice, but it wasn't easy. Lesson-learned, the police won't help unless it's a capital crime (I'm assuming this is true, but I've never had experience with a capital crime, but I hope it's true). Less than that, it's up to you to do the work.

Call your insurance, get it fixed. And get those stone guards upgraded.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
It will be better than new!

Fingers crossed. Past experiences with body shops have not been great, but hoping I can apply all my hard-learned lessons in to picking the next one here.

Originally Posted by RudyP
Sorry to hear. That really sucks. I'm also impressed with your coll head. Not sure I would have had the ability to not give chase.

I have no explanation for it. My **** and vinegar percentages are still high enough that I am baffled at my reaction, but I think it's probably the best thing that could have happened. Never know what you're going to run in to these days.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but if it ever happens again, just zero your focus on his license plate so you can get his plate number and they can track him down.

Sorry for your loss, but it's minor and will look good as new soon enough. Might even be time for some mods that you want to do as well?

Good luck.

Right after it happened and I collected my wits, it LOOKED like he was slowing down and moving over, so I didn't think anything of it so I started doing the same. Then I look up and he's already put several cars between us. My car was driving fine but I had no idea if I had sheetmetal rubbing through a tire or something so I decided to pull over. You can't imagine how big of a dumbass I felt like when the trooper asked about a license plate number!

As for mods..I don't know. Not a whole lot I can work in without getting other stuff painted, I'll have to see just how much winds up getting painted and go from there.

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Another reason for front and rear facing HD in-car video cameras.

Certainly would have been handy..or maybe even a trunk monkey.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by ilko
GT2 conversion FTW!!
Originally Posted by Magdaddy
sorry to hear, but...a set of GT2 fenders will cover those spots quite nicely!

Oh my...I hadn't even thought of that. Would probably look pretty awkward on an otherwise stock C2 though.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, to think I chased someone down the other night for flipping me off. Wish I had your cool, I would have been in a cold cell.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rough, so many deadbeats out there!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:24 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Crap man, that really sucks!! Agreed with the other guys; it's a great opportunity to
iron out any additional body "issues" that a 15+ year old car may have! Maybe it's
time to go bumperette-less while you're at it??

Good luck Travis!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to see, but at least its relatively fixable. Glad you and your 993 weren't banged up more. Some people are just ********...

Quick Reply: Hit and Run