Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do you warn on-coming drivers of the speed-trap you just passed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
You are painting those in law enforcement and driver safety with a very broad brush. And I will have to disagree with you. While I'm not blind to the fact that some cops or municipalities use strict enforcement to pad the coffers, I believe the majority of LEOs on the street take the safety of the public seriously and not just as a job to produce revenue.

As a hearing officer I had NO interest in producing revenue. I took public safety very seriously and like to think I got some real jerks off the road and maybe saved a few lives.

Think what you like, your are entitled to you opinion, I don't expect to sway you.

Cheers.
I respect your opinion, and I agree that a majority of LEO's care about safety as an ideal.

I can also tell you that writing someone a $350 ticket for going, say, 45mph in a 35 zone, and citing safety as a factor in writing the ticket, is not being serious about safety. They are seriously generating revenue.

I bet you took some real jerks off the road; thanks for your service. But I know in California and elsewhere, traffic enforcement is a major source for revenue, and cops and other government folk are not impartial when it comes to traffic revenue and tilting the bias. Those expensive government pensions, perks, and entitlements need to be funded somehow!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Speaking of:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/23/f...warning-is-co/
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Always! I've been saved from traps by others doing the same to me.
I did it just today when a cop was zapping cars coming thru a (high) school zone. Normally wouldn't do it in a school zone but no kids walk across that street but it's still a 15 mph school zone. Besides, I was getting them to slow down anyway (w/out a ticket).

The 2 roads leading to my subdivision have significant blind spots, one for a pair of S's the other for hills, I've flashed people when the UPS truck is stopped in one of those areas and another when a car was broke down in the middle of the S's.

In TN it's considered a "free speech" issue, they could write you a ticket but it would get tossed in court.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:16 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hell yes I flash ...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sanford judge rules in favor of motorist who flashed his headlights. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ech-headlights
The judge said constitutional free speech.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Really raises the point of what the traps are all about: revenue.

If the point were simply to slow traffic down, then someone flashing their lights is accomplishing that goal and the police should be pleased.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Randall921
Instructor

Apparently, this is a hot topic:

http://jalopnik.com/5912839/a-florid...is-free-speech
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 411 Likes on 171 Posts

Always as well!

And on the topic of terrible left lane drivers be thankful you don't commute 150 miles each way here in Dubai. It such a **** off that drivers feel entitled to drive "below" the speed limit in the fast lane. They cause more havoc and crashes than us "speeders" do. It creates road rage and drivers that are willing to tailgate closely until the idiot in front pulls his finger out of his...

I normally flash the driver I'm coming up on to warn him "look I'm flying move the heck over". Its common practice here and I don't really care what people think. If you are willing to drive below the speed limit or just at the speed limit in the fast lane when there are 3 other suitable lanes to the right then you deserve said beams in the mirrors.

Funny story the first time my mom came to visit I collected her at the airport. On the highway we blew past a police officer at 140 km/h + and my mom was yelling "what are you doing etc" while I just laughed...the police do nothing. They will only really pull you over if you are weaving across lanes, basically being a reckless driver. Its the best.

BTW our posted highway speed limit is 120 km/h (75 mph) or otherwise stated by the police max 140 km/h (85 mph). If you are between the speed camera's its no problem flying at 100 mph or more. Love it!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 PM
rutz36
Advanced

Remember the good old days in the 70s driving across Nevada? I was in my 6.3 Mercedes doing about 120 mph and passed a highway patrol car parked in the center divider. No speed limits until one arrived in the outskirts of towns. The initial shock of seeing the cop sitting there was always an eye-opener, admittedly. I do miss thoses days, however.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Montana as well used to be flat out
Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just did on Thursday on our road trip to California from Seattle. Donut Eater out there in the median shooting everybody Northbound coming around a curve. He didn't get anyone in that group!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
This:

"I never flash... my thinking is that since the trap is meant to fulfill a quota, the earlier they get there the better. And if it's not me, that's perfect. But it has to be someone, and if I save someone elses butt then there's more chance that I'll get one.

Just reducing my risk" - Quote from Jeff96-993
I do flash other P-car drivers. Not sure if that has anything to do with with cop cars or not drilling people for revenue.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 AM
funbug
Instructor

http://www.policespeedcameras.info/i...e-money-2.html

It's all about revenue raising and not about road safety as this article confirms. And yes, I do flash other cars.

Quick Reply: Do you warn on-coming drivers of the speed-trap you just passed?