Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do you warn on-coming drivers of the speed-trap you just passed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Do you warn on-coming drivers of the speed-trap you just passed?

Our cars are something of radar bait. I imagine most 911s get zapped, whether they appear to be speeding or not.

Since the regularly-recurring subject of radar detectors has come up, here's an adjunct:

Do you warn on-coming cars of the trap they are approaching by flashing your brights in day-time?

I've been alerted to a trap while driving without the V-1 by other drivers doing this.

(It also calls to mind the internet story of the enterprising kids with the hand-made sign:

Cop catching almost no one in his radar trap one day. Turns out kids had a hand-made sign three blocks up stream saying "Warning Radar Trap Three Blocks Ahead!" , and they had another similarly-lettered sign two blocks after the trap saying "TIPS" with an arrow pointing to a very full, big glass bowl)
Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Recently the FHP has ticketed drivers for warning other drivers of speed traps. The cases are awaiting hearings in the Florida Supreme Court.
I DO warn oncoming drivers. Cops should be crime fighters, not revenue generators. I would imagine most cops feel the same way.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

So they need personnel to man the speed trap, plus more officers to watch for blinking lights???? Where does it end?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I always warn others (quick couple of flicks of the high beam) the look on most cops faces as i drive thru below the speed limit up here in the 993 with Fister stage II's is priceless. I know every location in my neighborhood and i sometimes give a little wave.

Cops up here are famous for not showing up in court = automatic ticket cancellation. At least it works for me re court challenging tickets!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

Most of the speed traps I've encountered are on the interstate. It's hard to warn oncoming traffic with a wide divide present. I try to flash my lights, but most people are oblivious.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

It depends on the oncoming cars Usually I warn people, but I agree with both Ilko, most people are oblivious and Falcon, cops shouldn't be wasting time writing traffic tickets while much more serious issues are outstanding.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Most drivers today, would have no clue what that means. They are too busy texting. Probably just think you are telling them their headlights are too bright.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Many years ago when I lived in N.H., after passing by a radar trap I flashed my lights at an on-coming car and waved my arms. A second cop was parked nearby and saw this. He pulled me over and asked why I flashed my lights. "Because I was saying hi to a friend" I answered. The cop radioed his fellow officer, asking him to stop the Pinto (or whatever it was) and see if they knew me. I said "Pinto? No, I flashed at a Toyota" -- the officer informed me there were no Toyotas around when I flashed. "Oh, my mistake, officer. Sorry." And off I went. Without a ticket.

Generally, I don't warn any more, but will occasionally...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should always help a fellow "driver" out...The real question is how far up the road do you it?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Always! I've been saved from traps by others doing the same to me.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Always! I've been saved from traps by others doing the same to me.
+1.

I always blink my lights at those coming from other direction,....it's up to them to know what I'm doing.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't see how it really helps much unless there's more than one PoPo working the other side of the street.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Maryland our highest court ruled that flashing your lights to warn oncoming drivers was exercising your freedom of speech and was therefor ok. I always flash my lights unless they are driving in the left lane....I hate left lane drivers. When I am king one of my first rulings will be to have slow left lane drivers removed from their cars. They will be stripped naked and staked out spread eagle face up in the median strip for all to see. Honey will be poured on their genitals and eyes. As the ants and other insects devour them, their screams and writhing bodies will be a powerful example and left lane drivers will be a thing of the past.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a Motorcycle (the 993 has done a great job of scratching the motorcycle itch) for a few years now but for some reason I still warn bikers but generally not cars, excepting for something interesting, p-cars etc.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes

Quick Reply: Do you warn on-coming drivers of the speed-trap you just passed?