Sponsored by: DashLynx

Becker Trafficpro question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 AM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becker Trafficpro question

I've had a Trafficpro sitting around in the basement for the last couple years. I finally decided to install it because the glare off the glossy screen on the existing radio was pissing me off. The factory look of the TP certainly doesn't hurt, either. That's the reason I bought it in the first place. I should add that this is installed in my 1987 911, but am posting here as I remember there being more of you 993 folks that have these than the earlier cars.

Anyway, the physical installation went smoothly with no issues at all. After the harness was connected up, it just slid into the dash and clicked into place. Easy.

I didn't get this radio for the navigation function as it is not up to snuff with modern gear at all. I also just don't need it. Unlike many of the big US cities, it's really quite easy to get around here with "only" a million people milling about. And after ten years in a place, you kind of get to know where things are.

Because I hadn't intended to use the GPS, I didn't bother hooking up the antenna. Now, it's more or less constantly displaying an antenna error on the screen. It's kind of annoying. Is there any way to get it to stop, or am I going to have to actually hook up the damn thing?

The other question I have is, what's the reverse hookup for? What is it? What does it do? I mean everything seems to work properly other than the nav stuff that I'll never use.

And for those who've never seen one of these in an eighties 911, here ya go. Never mind the wires dangling under the dash. That's tomorrow morning's project to finish and clean everything up.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, no clue how to fix the issue, but that looks perfect in any 911. Can it also manage an iPod?

I need to investigate further... I'd much prefer that to my Kenwood.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:44 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 437 Posts

Kevin my friend, it just won't work in your car. I'll take it of your hands.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Kevin my friend, it just won't work in your car. I'll take it of your hands.
Hey, I was here first... I just take longer to get negotiations started, LOL.

I will research the iPod control issue tomorrow... if it can do it, I'm in the market ASAP.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 AM
syzygy
Instructor

Yep, ipod works fine. The only PITA thing is finding the AUX setting to activate it. Holding the nav and the rightmost button along the bottom of the screen at the same time will bring up some maintenance menu. You can scan through until the AUX setting comes up and then toggle it on. I spent a bit of time to hit every combination of button presses I could think of to get into all the menus.

But to answer your question, yes, the ipod will work rather nicely. It plays CDs, but the ipod/phone is often more convenient. Plus, it'll charge my phone.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:19 AM
syzygy
Instructor

Tim, thanks for the offer, but now that it's in there, I just can't make the effort to remove it. It just seems like a lot of work.

Are you gonna make the CanAm this year?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:34 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about the antenna fault notice, you may not be able to turn that off. As to the reverse hookup it's part of the GPS (so it doesn't get confused when you back up). It's something you can ignore, as you can the speed hook-up which is also part of GPS.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 AM
rdevany
Advanced

PM me if you would like a scanned manual. You can run the GPS without the reverse wire. You do need to tap into the speedo signal though. Buy the ipod/iphone cable here: http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts/index_porsche.html
Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

I do not know if the operating system versions here in europe are different from the US, but on mine,
you can remove the error.
I have the becker online pro, so looking for the menu is different, I cannot guide you through.
To remove the error message, scroll to the menu where you can choose to display the compass and
choose NO.
Hope it works for you
regards
Old 06-02-2012, 12:03 PM
V
Drifting

What's the going rate for a NIB Traffic Pro?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey SYZYGY -
... On .. is the default to the On/Off presence of a SAT/navigation antenna. I'm away from home as a we speak but I'll get you the instruction code to alert the Traffic Pro of no SAT/ Navigation signal expected. ... Its something like "while holding keys 1 and 9 you toggle thru a menu" ... I've seen this in the TP manual IIRC.

The Becker/Porsche radio series, e.g., Traffic Pro, CDR210, CDR220, etc., look at home in any air cooled 911. Fast forward 2012 and there are now numerous outboard DSP modules available which bring the stereo systems new life. Far better audio filtering than ever imagined; As example the new model DSP by Mosconi 6 to 8 comes to mind. http://mosconi-america.com/dsp.html Other outboard DSP's available are offered by JBL, Audison, Alpine, etc.

The Trafiic Pro looks great in your '87 911. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
Sorry, no clue how to fix the issue, but that looks perfect in any 911. Can it also manage an iPod?

I need to investigate further... I'd much prefer that to my Kenwood.
Yup, works perfect with the iPod. You just got to install the cable.
I have 2 that work with older iPods & iPhones that also charge, that I would like to find a home for.

Yes, you do have to plug in the antenna to get the message to go away. You can just tuck it up under the dash & leave it there. There are a few fun options that works well, like speed, current location, & even a little trip computer thing. I use mine all the time.

On my 95, the input single needed to be hooked up, on my 97, it did not. I think both of my reverse wires are not connected. I think it was to tell the TP if you are going backwards. I think it's in the manual.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:53 PM
syzygy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
On my 95, the input single needed to be hooked up, on my 97, it did not. I think both of my reverse wires are not connected. I think it was to tell the TP if you are going backwards. I think it's in the manual.
The input signal? From what? I guess I'll plug the antenna in. I may even mount it so it can see the sky to benefit from those fun little options.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
The input signal? From what? I guess I'll plug the antenna in. I may even mount it so it can see the sky to benefit from those fun little options.
It's been 4 years, so it's a bit fuzzy, but I think a wire was run form the tach, or cig lighter. I you do a search on the TP you might find my install post, or talking about it to someone else.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
skollat
1st Gear

Hi

Regarding the speed signal I have a traffic pro in an 88 3.2, You'll find 2 wires under an inspection plate on top of the tranmission tunnel, under the carpet, from memory I think there is a green which carries the speed signal, for my car I simply took a wire from this, and ran it along the centre console and to the radio, works fine, btw I didn't connect the reverse wire, both these wires are used to increase the accuracy of the gps function, good luck

John

Quick Reply: Becker Trafficpro question