Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stolen 993 - beware, they are climbing in value

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gld to hear you got your money back atleast. I know its not the car you loved but its a chance to fall in love all over again. Sorry to hear about your losses. People need to learn to work for a living.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:24 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

good luck getting it started without the key. I guess it will become parts.

insurance money should help you find a nice 993 turbo
Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Time for you guys to have a Lojack system installed.
Just as horse thieves used to be hanged, why not hang car thieves. Better yet, tie their limbs between two 993s and pull them apart. I guess you can tell I'm not one of those bleeding heart types.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
got the insurance check for the car - it's interesting that the insurance company "buys" the car from you, just like you had a car to sell, you sign over title, hand over keys, and then you get a check. makes sense, but I'd never thought about it.

Yep. And theory is that you should be able to take that check and find another one exactly like yours and not be out of pocket. Nice theory but not always reality.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about the stolen car, but in the end, probably better to get the insurance check than the car with who-knows-what damage done to it (assuming of course that the insurance check is reasonable).
Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Will you share what the insurance company gave you? Or can you share if it was fair?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

I think the settlement was "fair" - the car had about 150,000 miles on it, so they deducted $11,000 and some change for mileage from the price of lower mileage cars - the established an "actual cash value base price" of $23,110.18, added in sales tax, unused license fees and got to $25,399.87. The Mitchell report that they used showed a similar car with 66K miles at $32K, one with 56K miles at $35K, and one with 71K miles at $36K. I would have been happier with 30 to 35K, which is what I would have sold it for (new clutch, new steering rack, new differential), but overall this was reasonable. They added in more $ for certain personal items in the car and that mostly covered my deductible. What they didn't cover was tools, glasses, and things like that - probably $1000 to $1500 of stuff at new replacement cost because those don't "belong with the car". They did cover jumper cables, fire extinguisher, GPS, and so on.

I think I probably could have replaced it for that settlement - I didn't want a Cab anyway, so I think I could have gotten a much lower mileage coupe - in fact I found one at the dealer I bought my new shiny 2013 from, and I think I could have just handed them the check and walked away with it (well, drove away, hopefully) - but if these cars are starting to "walk" at night, I'd rather not get another.

I was soooooo close to buying a panamera hybrid - really nice car - but in the end the big car feel of it made me postpone going to a four door for a few more years. The 2013 is still a bigger car but it doen't feel as big.

By the way, I have the following paper items left from the car - PM me if interested - you can make a "contribution" to my tool replacement fund

Porshce Pre-owned limited warranty brochure - 24 pages, perfect condition with the VIN, etc of the stolen car filled in
Brochure and card from Porsche giving me "temporary membership" in the Unitied States Auto Club, motoring division - never filled in the card nor sent it in
Porsche lifetime key protection brochure
letter from Porsche transmitting the above materials and congratulating me on making"one of the most exciting purchases of your life" (they get bonus points for Hyperbole)
original radio code card (with the codes for my stolen radio)

so, if you want this stuff for your collection, PM me, please.

I've got a pile of parts for the car too (tail light, front rotors, drive cables for the convertible top, power seat cables, and probably other stuff that I no longer need, plus I have the full dealer service manual set

Interestingly, when I purchased my new car (just as I did when I bought this 993), I waited until the last minute after all the arguing over price was done and then said "sure, ok, but you must include the service manual". I have that in writing on the sales order, the final dealer guy said that nobody had ever before asked him for the service manual. That is probably why I got away with it - they will no doubt be disappointed when they discover it is a $1200 manual set (or whatever it costs now, the 993 manual set was about a grand, if I had needed to pay for it).

hope this helps answer some questions.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:07 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was stolen New Years Day. Also LA area. It was a sophisticated theft to say the least.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

PM sent in regards to the service manual . . .

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss, and it was good you posted. But, "beach city" in Calif can be Imperial Beach to Crescent City, so I'm not sure your warning helps a lot for any local to you.

As noted, the other recent heist was in La Jolla, but not a RLer. The good news on that, they caught the bastards, and the 993 was being driven. They had a chop shop, however, and DID cut up the GT40 they took from Rancho Santa Fe.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, William sorry to hear about your car being stolen. I've had my house broken in to and thieves suck.

It got me thinking though, and kind of off topic, but man, after seeing my GF hunt down her kids misplaced Ipads and iPhones via the web, and seeing how small GPS receivers on a chip (including antenna) have gotten, I'm surprised there isn't a device available that you can stick somewhere on your car with a magnet. Maybe tap in to a 12 volt line, or have a small gell cell battery that's kept charged. A wifi chip that can jack in to open internet connections as it finds them, or a cell phone module. You get online and send a command for it to start sending location updates to you via the web. You guys get the idea. I absolutely know the technology is there, I've got GPS in my watch I use when I go running. Something like this could be thrown together commercially for less than $100 I would think. In fact, I'm just a big dummy but I've been playing around a bit with AVR programming via the Arduino development platform and I think even I could throw something together. I'm surprised there isn't something aftermarket out there. If there is I missed it. But I haven't really been paying attention to be honest. ;-)
Some links for those interested.
Gps module - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10919
GSM cell module - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10138
Old 09-02-2012, 05:48 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Yes they have something. It's called Lo-Jack...
Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

In Europe car thieves have Lo Jack and GSM jammers. They are the size of cigarette lighters and fit in the charger unit in the dash. The jammer kills anything in 50 feet. So your car will never be found as they drive off.
Bastards.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

That's incredible ^^ wow!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Yes they have something. It's called Lo-Jack...
Embraer, have you looked at the cost, and did you know that your local police have to be equipped with dedicated equipment that can receive the lo-jack signal? I know our local police dont have it I just think with today's technology lo-jack is kind of outdated. Onstar is probably a better option.

Quick Reply: stolen 993 - beware, they are climbing in value