Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions Wanted on This 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I bought my 911 SC under similar circumstances, i.e. other customer's car, known mechanic.
Turned out to be a fantastic car.

sounds like a winner! Good Luck
Old 08-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

$29,500 for a 90,000 mile mostly bone-stock '95? Seems high to me, but maybe prices have really gone up in the past six months or I've just forgotten what other '95's with similar mileage have sold for. I can easily see that number if it had better looking wheels like Fikse FM-10's or even MY '02's and was equipped with a decent suspension. I think it's priced to negotiate and have a feeling that the seller, assuming he/she is sane, priced it $3,000 or so high to prepare for the inevitable buyer haggling. Pure conjecture on my part, of course.

What type of short shifter, Alex?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Right

Originally Posted by ilko
Based on your latest post Alex, the car is a very strong candidate and considering all the work that's already done to it the price is very good! For your sake I hope no other prospective buyers are reading this thread now
Understood. That is the risk I run! I think he is on Rennlist as he said he found this car here for sale back in 2004. I have texted him to wait until I see it and can make an offer. We should be able to do a deal. Thanks everyone.

Not sure about the short shifter brand.

Last edited by bella1; 08-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

For this money, I like the white/blk 993 in seattle FS in the other thread. The RS/LWF clutch combo and other goodies washes out transport costs.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Drove It

Car drives very well and generally very nice. As the owner said there is a dent on left quarter right where bumper cover meets the quarter. Bumper cover hit in middle and small cracks, and mud guards in desparate need of replacement. So I will take to my body guy next week thinking perhaps $1500. Owner has been straight up about the condition. The trip odometer is on zero because odometer is not working. The mechanic assures me this is recent and has recent invoices with mileage which confirm. Owner is thinking he can get $29000 but that is too high. If he finds a buyer for that good luck. We will see. And the search continues.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Normally the odometer problem is a very common failure, the (very small) plastic/rubber gears have stripped. It's a DIY if your eyesight is very good and you like watch-like repairs or you can send it off to a place like North Hollywood Speedometer (or one of several others) for ~$150. That's not to say this one couldn't have some other problem though but the gear failure is very common.

Good luck on the search.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Ok with these mile the issue is what things have been done already:
clutch,
valve lifter cartridges,
struts,
steering rack/ tie rod joints,
1st & 2nd gear synchros - how does it shift?
Recent ignition wires and plugs,
Seat leather condition - expensive to replace,
Tires, brake pads, new fluids.
In many cases most of the above are needed before 100k miles, that is not too far away on this car.
Just go in with your eyes open.
Andy
Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'95 non-varioram (no cel issues) and basket handle (usually means no immobilzer).
I would pay a premium for those two benefits.

Gordo
Old 08-19-2012, 01:08 AM
holsen12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOVE it first, then don't look back !!!

I recently bought a C4S with 89K miles, and promptly put $9K into it sorting brake, suspension, ignition and assorted small leaks and torn boots issues out. I'd looked for quite awhile for this particular car, and am super happy with it. It runs strong with no issues, and has complete records to day one, including a framed original window sticker. It’s absolutely gorgeous and clean fun to drive. I bought it as a daily driver for at least 8 months of the year. (yes, it snows here in Boston)

Any 15yr old car will have issues and deferred maintenance. I see many RL’ers looking for that ‘pristine’ 993. Those cars only existed in 1996-98 when they were still new. My advice would be to agree to a fair price for a clean car, then conduct a detailed PPI, using the PPI as a guide to offset the agreed to price. But keep in mind any 15+yr old car will need something on a continuing basis… maintenance on these cars isn’t cheap even if you do it yourself.

These 993’s are icons that will give you much joy to drive. You’re also correct in thinking that the car will retain most (if not all) of its value… provided you’ve kept it up. Many of these cars seem to be owned by folks who don’t really have the budget to stay with the correct maintenance, yet seek a high market price despite deferred maintenance. A detailed PPI from a ‘known good’ shop is mandatory.

Don’t let a higher mileage car put you off. Properly maintained and cared for, they’re as good as any lower mileage car. Age alone will dictate certain rubber bits (including seals) be replaced, and some of these $15 parts will cost you $1000 (or more) in labor to replace irrespective of how many miles the car has. Condition is everything.

Buy the car you LOVE and don’t look back. Wait for it if you have to.

Last edited by holsen12; 03-11-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:34 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The right car will reach in your pocket and take your wallet! Only buy it if you really love it.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by holsen12
I recently bought a C4S with 89K miles, and promptly put $9K into it sorting brake, suspension, ignition and assorted small leaks and torn boots issues out. I'd looked for quite awhile for this particular car, and am super happy with it. It runs strong with no issues, and has complete records to day one, including a framed original window sticker. It’s absolutely gorgeous and clean fun to drive. I bought it as a daily driver for at least 8 months of the year. (yes, it snows here in Boston)

Any 15yr old car will have issues and deferred maintenance. I see many RL’ers looking for that ‘pristine’ 993. Those cars only existed in 1996-98 when they were still new. My advice would be to agree to a fair price for a clean car, then conduct a detailed PPI, using the PPI as a guide to offset the agreed to price. But keep in mind any 15+yr old car will need something on a continuing basis… maintenance on these cars isn’t cheap even if you do it yourself.

These 993’s are icons that will give you much joy to drive. You’re also correct in thinking that the car will retain most (if not all) of its value… provided you’ve kept it up. Many of these cars seem to be owned by folks who don’t really have the budget to stay with the correct maintenance, yet seek a high market price despite deferred maintenance. A detailed PPI from a ‘known good’ shop is mandatory.

Don’t let a higher mileage car put you off. Properly maintained and cared for, they’re as good as any lower mileage car. Age alone will dictate certain rubber bits (including seals) be replaced, and some of these $15 parts will cost you $1000 (or more) in labor to replace irrespective of how many miles the car has. Condition is everything.

Buy the car you LOVE and don’t look back. Wait for it if you have to.
That post is golden. Great advice.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Agree

Originally Posted by c993k
The right car will reach in your pocket and take your wallet! Only buy it if you really love it.
Truer words were never spoken. It is interesting that the current owner would not have fixed quarter panel, mud guards, rear bumper cover, and nick in the windshield prior to selling. I know I would. The car is in the local paper, Virginian Pilot, Craigslist, Autotrader, and cars.com so he certainly has it out there.

Also thanks for the list of items above. Clutch engages at the top of pushing the pedal and shifting is excellent through all gears. Still I will check all records, which owner has, to determine what has been done. Also the leather on this one is in amazingly good condition. Did the 993 use better quality than new 911 versions?

Oh and that Blue C4S is beautiful!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CarreraX
PM sent.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted on This 993