Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight Replacement-- Quality noted

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Replacement-- Quality noted

I recently did a DIY headlight replacement. Followed instructions left by others on RL. Thanks.

WHile in there, I was struck by the fact that all these bits/casings/components were prominently stamped "Made in Germany." It made me wonder how much of the components in the current cars are still made (more expensively, of course) in Germany as opposed to being fabricated in China and other countries with cheap labor and material costs.

When these 993's were made, Porsche basically didn't give a **** what the car cost to build, they wanted it to be built to an ideal, without any compromise.

Pretty cool.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

And because these great Porsche parts were built without compromise by the finest German craftsman our replays and switches die by 60K miles, our odometers stop working, our wire harnesses melt and our latch motors fail. Should I continue? If my Miata did that it'd be deep in a pile of other Miatas in the middle of a junkyard long time ago. And, oh, I race my Miata unlike my 993.

In my book "Made in Germany" is not a good thing and have not been for a good 30+ years. And "Engineered in Germany" is certainly no better. That is from owning, what, 7 German cars in the last 15 years. And another 10 or so Japanese ones. And untold number of electrical and electronic appliances made in Germany, US, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Mexico, etc.

What I'm saying is - I don't really care where any product was made. What matters is how any company controls quality of its manufacturing and its end products. Which comes from the culture of the company - how it views reliability and dependability, for example. Porsche is a good example of high dependability with low reliability. BMW is a price example of that.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Where something is made is no indicator of quality. Who made it is. China is no different than anywhere else: if you sub out your production to a cheap company, you get cheap crap. Pay more and get better quality.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 454 Posts

I've driven a few upper end cars from Japan (Lexus, Acura) and as nice as they are, they drive like a tin can compared to my previous BMW and present Porsche. But then, when the usual crusing speed is 120 MPH, one tends to build a car with a solid planted feel at that speed.

As far as reliabilty is concerned, I never seem to have issues with any German or Asian car and I usually own them for well over ten years where things can go wrong. My only car from Detroit was given its walking papers after eighteen months...no wonder they need bailouts.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by burtraccoon
You are the biggest drip on Rennlist Nile my Jewish brother

Electronics fail. Components fail. What your forgetting (I must remind you) is that these parts are old and each relay has been switched many thousands of times, the doors slammed as many times etc etc. So, nothing to turn your big Jewish nose up about (MOD I am Jewish too so dont take that the wrong way me and Nile have a special relationship and a long PM history, it just a fun way of bantering-love you bro). Now, if those parts were made in china or equivalent then they would fail even earlier still. I am still very happy when its made in Germany. The germans are (throughout history) outstanding engineers and craftsman. Its who they are. Its what they do. Of all the world I think the 3 nations noted for their engineering ability are the British (who do not always take credit for their design as in this age its usually bankrolled by another nation), the Japanese and the Germans. I am a proud American as some of you know and it really pains me that the stars and stripes are not on my list. Money does not always breed the best minds.
Who owns a Swiss watch? I do. I own one because like most people I like the best, and the swiss make masterpieces. This is true of "Ze Germans!"

Burt Raccon-coming to a German engineered treehouse near you.....
burtraccon -

I find your comment particularly offensive in how you positioned your comments in reference to Jews. And you being Jewish does not make it any better. You crossed the line big time and your judgement stinks. And your views....frankly...I do not give a crap about after reading your intro to your comments.

Is this even permitted on Rennlist?

Mark
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 454 Posts

Who owns a Swiss watch? I do. I own one because like most people I like the best, and the swiss make masterpieces.
What makes it the best? Its time keeping ability?

As much as I really love watches and can afford them, I have a $70 Casio that sets itself to the NIST time signal every morning. That accuracy is tough to beat.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK fellas, take a deep breath, please calm down.

If I got a nickel for every "Irish" comment passed my way, verbal and cyber, I'd be rich by now (and yes I'd get another 993.)

Gerry
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
burtraccon -

I find your comment particularly offensive in how you positioned your comments in reference to Jews. And you being Jewish does not make it any better. You crossed the line big time and your judgement stinks. And your views....frankly...I do not give a crap about after reading your intro to your comments.

Mark
Agreed, completely inappropriate and offensive
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Y...me and Nile have a special relationship and a long PM history
of what, two months?

get a life. you cant buy class...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Rome, did you replace the whole headlight or the lens? I will assume it was the lens itself. There were some concerns a few months ago about the availability of the Bosch replacement lens', did you have any problems finding one?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, back to the original point. When did "Made In Germany" become "Made Somewhere In The Unified Germany"? A few years after the 993s started being produced. Not sure how much manufacturing was then set up in the former East Germany, but I'll guess the factories weren't quite up to Leipzig standards.

Oh, and starting with the 993, Porsche most definitely was cutting cost corners. The 964s were the last of the build-it-without-regard 911s.

Even if you want to go truly old-school, how many of you worked extensively on 928s when they were just out of warranty? Those cars, 944 timing belt breakage and water pumps, along with idiots who couldn't leave their 930s alone made me enough money so that I could go to law school without really worrying about working. (Though I ended up running a 911 shop anyway, due to customer demand.)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Everything regardless where it is made will eventually need replacing. And the person who owns it needs to take responsibility on how well it is maintained.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
if you sub out your production to a cheap company, you get cheap crap. Pay more and get better crap.
Fixed it for you.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
burtraccon -

Mark
Do you even attempt to read his drivel? This clown actually constantly PMs me with similar social diatribes despite being asked not to do it a number of times.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
OK, back to the original point. When did "Made In Germany" become "Made Somewhere In The Unified Germany"? A few years after the 993s started being produced. Not sure how much manufacturing was then set up in the former East Germany, but I'll guess the factories weren't quite up to Leipzig standards.
Actually, I'm be curious to find out where the original roof latch mnotors were made. The recall replacement ones are made in Hungary. They are no better (actually, the break sooner) than the old ones.

PS. Just looked at one of my original latch motors. Made in Germany.

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacement-- Quality noted