Sponsored by: DashLynx

Four to six thousand rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 AM
Malibu101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four to six thousand rpm

I don't take my 95 cab tip 993 out much but when I do It always seems to provide me with some form of new excitement and enjoyment.

Yesterday afternoon I had a rush at a set of traffic lights and thought "darn it, give it some". So I did. I think everyone else was still thinking about putting their cars into first gear and I was listening to a beautiful roar behind me as the car bulleted through 1st and 2nd gear and through the high rev range.....it does sound wonderful doesn't it?

Pity I got the next red lights and everyone else pulled up next to me....either thinking what a tosser, or wish that was me....but I really don't care......

These are just wonderful cars for the soul.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 AM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

I've had my C2 tipo for just over a week and I still punch into the upper rev range just to hear the sound - the oh so glorious sound. Sounds even better when the driver's window is down.

As my wife pointed out though, my anonymity is gone now that I don't drive a silver Audi A4. People will remember "that guy in the Porsche" if I act like an *** (too often...)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4 - 6k is a happy place indeed.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Malibu101

Pity I got the next red lights and everyone else pulled up next to me....either thinking what a tosser, or wish that was me....but I really don't care......

These are just wonderful cars for the soul.
just look over and give 'em a "g'day mate" !
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Howdy993
4 - 6k is a happy place indeed.
and necessary occasionally for proper engine maintenance.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no doubt about it - 2nd. gear and 3 plus thousand RPMs is 'music'.

When I'm eastbound on Jericho Tpke - by Hick's Nursery - leading to Westbury - there's a bunch of traffic lights there. Sometimes you can 'time them' - and other times they shut you down. I often 'goose it' just to listen to the engine's music -- from light to light.

When I've gotten off the LIE - going wesbound - by the Roslyn to Willis Ave. exit - there's a stack of lights there. I routinely leave it in 2nd. or 3rd. - and yes - the engine is very much 'sounding off' as I head towards IHOP. With this setup I don't have to touch the brakes - I just 'modulate' the accelerator pedal to 'adjust' for traffic flow.

Everyone else, with auto trans., are in 3rd. or 4th. and are 'quiet' and using their brakes.

They don't know what they're missing -- but I'm sure the view of the *** of a 911 skootching by combined with those dulcet sounds, makes a lot of guys, driving soccer-mom-wagons ....think for a moment.

IMHO, life's too friggin' short, enjoy it whilst u can.

G.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I think my favorite thing about a 993 is their multiple personalities. Below 3000 rpms they are an easy to drive car, but above 3000 rpms their serious sports machine!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
There's no doubt about it - 2nd. gear and 3 plus thousand RPMs is 'music'.

When I'm eastbound on Jericho Tpke - by Hick's Nursery - leading to Westbury - there's a bunch of traffic lights there. Sometimes you can 'time them' - and other times they shut you down. I often 'goose it' just to listen to the engine's music -- from light to light.

When I've gotten off the LIE - going wesbound - by the Roslyn to Willis Ave. exit - there's a stack of lights there. I routinely leave it in 2nd. or 3rd. - and yes - the engine is very much 'sounding off' as I head towards IHOP. With this setup I don't have to touch the brakes - I just 'modulate' the accelerator pedal to 'adjust' for traffic flow.

Everyone else, with auto trans., are in 3rd. or 4th. and are 'quiet' and using their brakes.

They don't know what they're missing -- but I'm sure the view of the *** of a 911 skootching by combined with those dulcet sounds, makes a lot of guys, driving soccer-mom-wagons ....think for a moment.

IMHO, life's too friggin' short, enjoy it whilst u can.

G.
heh. i was by there last week after checking out owg concours..
theres a decent number of good spots on LI for spirited driving
just gotta watch the situations.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Floodj
I think my favorite thing about a 993 is their multiple personalities. Below 3000 rpms they are an easy to drive car, but above 3000 rpms their serious sports machine!
Below 3000 rpms? How do you do that? I've tried, and the car just doesn't allow me too.

John

Quick Reply: Four to six thousand rpm