Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ladies and Gentlemen: the 993 Vanagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ladies and Gentlemen: the 993 Vanagon

Sabine Schmitz once famously bet Jeremy Clarkson that she'd lap the Nürburgring in under 10 minutes driving a Ford Transit. She lost narrowly.
Today, at the ring I saw not one but three vehicles in which she probably would've won the bet. Three VW Type 2 (T3) conversions made by a company named Claer and fitted with Porsche engines. One had a 993 motor, the other two 996 engines. The 993 one featured race bucket seats in the front and a row of aircraft seats in the back. I thought about hitching a ride but I don't take too kindly to turbulences.
I was able to chat with one of the 996 vanagon drivers. His bus was a camper and he was actually hauling around the kitchenette on the ring. I didn't ask but assume he emptied the water tank and took out the propane for the stove before going on the track. He claimed a top speed of 235 kph and stated that the vehicle handled quite well, considering its centre of gravity and size. BTW, the other two busses were running UHP tyres (one was on Toyo R888s, the other on Federals).
To my luck, these guys were not in the group was driving in. I fear that if they had been in my group, I might've suffered the embarassment of being passed by a van or two.
Some photo evidence attached. On a beautiful day with plenty of cool cars, these guys stole the show IMHO.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty cool!
I have seen some serious modifications in my days. Especially the people with "EMS" license plates seem to like to add all kind of wings to their Opel Manta's etc.
But I have to admit these vans can move if they are going over 200kph....
Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

I drive a Ford Transit van at work sometimes - it's a people carrier so it's full of seats. I've occasionally thought of Sabine Schmidt's lap and I've gotta say, I'm in awe of anyone willing to turn in to a corner at those speeds in a van like that. I mean, I'm pretty sure if I parked my Porsche next to the Transit van I could step from the van's driver's seat right across onto the roof on the Porsche.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a Vanagon and to be honest they handle pretty well for a box on wheels. I'd love one of these.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Vanagon racing. Looks like fun...
Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So cool!!! Reminds me of this Swiss 993TT converted bus project:

http://karakullake.blogspot.ca/2008/...993-turbo.html

Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
C2Cab95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to say there are more than a few YouTube videos... Impressive handling!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 PM
JGB
Instructor

Didn't the factory do something like this as support vehicles for the 959 Paris-Dakar cars?

Jim
Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Awesome
Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JGB
Didn't the factory do something like this as support vehicles for the 959 Paris-Dakar cars?

Jim
The B32. I'd love to own one.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

I (former Westybus owner, Whoa Magic Bus!)... have disturbingly, and unexplicably... long fantasized... about doing exactly such.

What a family weekend adventurer!? They actually carry speed and handle decently enough... just beware crosswinds!

Unfortunately for me my wife recoils in horror @ my mere mention of said fewlery 8-/

<sigh>

That Split Window vid is a classic, was quite mind boggled first time I'd seen that. There was also the Eurovan version w/ the full 996tt running gear and 4place racing buckets - just awesome.

Thanks for sharing! Quite the sight on der 'Ring! Funniest I came across was a pizza delivery station wagon and a full sized tour bus, which simply cluttered up the place... lame.

Say Mr. voujot... what's the status of 'that place' in recent days? Last I'd read the petitions to Save The Ring had failed and it was closing. But you were just there running open laps? Is there new hope for continued awesomeness? I vow to return, been a decade++ already sadly.

Thanks for sharing the 911agons...
Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

wow! that is kinda cool!

I actually bought a 65' bus a couple of years ago. Got disc brakes and hot rodded engine.
Spicoli color scheme and all'
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Porsche built some vanagons with 3.2 litre engine as test mules. That's in the wikipedia-article on the vanagon, I think.
Regarding the Nürburgring, I am not too worried. Ownership will change and the amusement park they built and that brought it down will probably close but for the main track, I think this guy is right:
http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.ph...ally-happening
Old 11-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

A van with a 993 3.6 and a decent suspension would be a blast. The shock on driver's faces as they get passed on the track
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I actually bought a 65' bus a couple of years ago. Got disc brakes and hot rodded engine.
Spicoli color scheme and all'
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Great score! Bet it's a hoot, good for you. And lol @ Spicolli... classic.

Originally Posted by vaujot
Regarding the Nürburgring, I am not too worried. Ownership will change and the amusement park they built and that brought it down will probably close but for the main track
thanks for your insight, and the link - I'll have a read! You sound encouraging though, a relief...

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
A van with a 993 3.6 and a decent suspension would be a blast. The shock on driver's faces as they get passed on the track

Bob, I will only say to you what should probably be kept to my "inside voice" - your car makes me feel all sorts of funny inside, naughtylike. Just awesome...

Quick Reply: Ladies and Gentlemen: the 993 Vanagon