Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smooth Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smooth Shifting

I am getting ready to upgrade to the FD "Goldenrod" shift rod in my 1995 C2. Any other bits I should do while I'm in there?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the short shift kit as well. totally worth it!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:45 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 770
get the short shift kit as well. totally worth it!
+1 Do it all at the same time.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:53 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Yep, short shift kit on the list. Thanks...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

you should be good after that.. engine and transmission bushings also have an impact if they are old (original) and worn.. more important to do the engine ones as they are very exposed and a simple install.

(you will be AMAZED at the difference)

phil.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Did WEVO engine mounts (with black pillows) a few months ago. Stock mounts were toast, so huge improvement. I still can't help thinking that a car that sold for somewhere near $80k (yes, in 1995 dollars) should shift at least as well as my 1987 Toyota 4Runner....

Have inquired with FDM on both parts. Hope to have the car up on the lift next week.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

there are a few parts you can swap out to tighten up the car to it's supercar class Check out the control arm bushings that FD offers as well.. suspension is a must as well, but the pic in your profile looks lowered

phil.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:23 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

I will check into the control arm bushings, for now it rides and handles well. Previous owner did Bilstein PSS9 adjustable shock package, 20mm front anti sway bar, and 19mm rear adjustable anti sway bar, and lowered to ROW (at least). Have been to one DE event and for now it is more car than I am driver.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pricey, and the look isn't for everyone, but when I did this mod I also went with the rothsport shifter, all packaged together from FD. For me, it's the single best improvement I've made to the feel of the car, absolutely love the the rothsport shifter.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just picked up a tt, do I need to get the short shifter and wevo, golden rod etc as well?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_porsche
Just picked up a tt, do I need to get the short shifter and wevo, golden rod etc as well?
Need? Perhaps not. Want? Likely.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree that you should do both the SSK(or Rothsport) and Goldenrod at the same time. I did both this past week and it is really a fantastic upgrade.

It was recommended to me to replace the 2 shift tube seals while in there. Mine actually looked fine after it was all said and done,but for $18 in parts,why not?

Here's the link:

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/1...e%20Guide.aspx
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM
sdoolin
Instructor

Did the install over the weekend. As most know by now, it is very straightforward.

The cool thing is that I actually don't need the Golden Rod, my car has the RS Pushrod and short shifter already installed - I just didn't know it - and it was undocumented by PO.

I did indstall the FDM short shifter bits however since the forward rod is stainless and double heim jointed.

So between taking things all apart, cleaning, lubricating, installing the FDM forward rod and adjusting it to my liking, the thing shifts MUCH better. Much better.

Did I say it shifts Much better??

Guys at FD Motorsports great to work with, no hassle for me to return the unused Golden Rod for full refund.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sdoolin
Did the install over the weekend. As most know by now, it is very straightforward.

The cool thing is that I actually don't need the Golden Rod, my car has the RS Pushrod and short shifter already installed - I just didn't know it - and it was undocumented by PO.

I did indstall the FDM short shifter bits however since the forward rod is stainless and double heim jointed.

So between taking things all apart, cleaning, lubricating, installing the FDM forward rod and adjusting it to my liking, the thing shifts MUCH better. Much better.

Did I say it shifts Much better??

Guys at FD Motorsports great to work with, no hassle for me to return the unused Golden Rod for full refund.
Awesome
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 AM
pipingken1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you don't mind me asking a late question.

My Indy has just completed the 'golden rod' SSK instal and all went fine, but the gaiter seems a little tight inside the cabin.

I've exchanged emails with Mark and he has suggested we could shorten the shifter length slightly but he isn't aware of people reporting this issue.

I don't know if the gaiter and **** are original OEM parts or it if the part has been replaced earlier.

I can just get a trimmer to cut one to suit (or buy an RS one which are stupid money)

Anybody else have issues with the gaiter?

Ken

Quick Reply: Smooth Shifting