Sponsored by: DashLynx

C4S - Keepin' my eyes peeled

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM
MGibilisco
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C4S - Keepin' my eyes peeled

Soooo.... I've lurked on this thread for too long, years really. I finally gave up a while back and just decided to have some cheap fun after getting a bit of an old school bug and bought an '80 SC.

The car rocks, loud as heck with SSI's and kinda rough around the edges. Darn good fun for $14k.

However, having wanted a 993 for so long, instead of filling the void, the SC just made it more evident I want a 993.

I doubt I'll sell the SC, but I'm starting my 993 hunt again. I love the widebody 993's, and to me any air-cooled Porsche is pretty much $$ in the bank for the long haul.

Looking for a C4S:
-mileage less important than care and maintenance
-Manual tranny only
-Prefer guards red, SY, white, however all colors considered
-Need not be a garage queen, looking for a driver
-Max spend low to mid 40's

- I see people on this forum talking about $35-40k even $30k "S" cars...Where!? I seem to be lucky to find them in the mid $40's for average cars

Any leads are welcome and appreciated, I'm in no rush but am ready just the same.

Thanks!!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep searching casually with cash ready. I jumped on my C4S a few months ago and feel I got it for an excellent price especially with the mileage, documentation, and previous care.

I had given up on a wide body car until this one came around. Also, the seller had a few other buyers with cash waiting for if I didn't purchase the car. A little luck I guess.

People on this forum always say to be patient and the right car will come. True for me. Lucky that you have a p car to drive in the mean time.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 437 Posts

Given your very reasonable expectations, the right car WILL find you. Be patient and enjoy the hunt.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

there is a silver C4S in Florida on ebay.... been there for quite some time..... one owner that im sure could be negotiated in the mid 30s...
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 PM
MGibilisco
Instructor

Huh. I hadn't even paid attention to that car. The aero kit doesn't do it for me, nor do the wheels, but that's no biggy. The front nose piece looks like the fit is a little off in one of the photos, and the ride height makes it look like its ready for Paris-Dakar.

I love a project. Might look in to this if the guy is reasonable.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

The problem with finding a $30K 993 C4S is no doubt it's going to have some "issues", usually ones that are expensive and going to cost thousands and thousands to remedy. So you buy a $30K car and dump $5K-$10K to get it sorted.

Better to find a clean $40K example that was loved and cared for in the first place for the about the same price.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's a GR in my neck of the woods for sale....been there a long time.60k for low forties.i myself have thought long and hard about it if he's reasonable in coming off his price.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM
MGibilisco
Instructor

Is it the one on AT for $44,900? Red/tan 64k. If so, his website says pending now.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There's been some pretty decent deals around... Look on autotrader.com and cars.com.......
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
Looking for a C4S:
-mileage less important than care and maintenance
-Manual tranny only
-Prefer guards red, SY, white, however all colors considered
-Need not be a garage queen, looking for a driver
Thanks!!
don't fail to consider a potential candidate because there is accident and/or paint history involved.
If it's a driver you want, concentrate on the mechanicals as you state above. When I was looking 2 1/2 years ago, a driver was just what I was looking for, I prized mechanicals over cosmetics...to a point naturally. I bought a car from a fellow rennlister, that probably didn't draw much interest because it had accident history...and paint work.

What it did offer was a super sound 63K mile car, with quite a few records from new...and a previous owner who just put $7K into the mechanicals-suspension, wheels/tires, fresh 60K service, just 500 miles before I bought it.

I've put almost 30K miles on it since, and it has been flawless...well, beside crapping the DME that is. Having a driver can be so freeing, drive it in the rain, park it almost anywhere...grocery store, big box lot, etc. I DD when I have a project with decent parking, and it has a bike rack on top of it the vast majority of the time. Nothing like the looks on peoples faces when you strap a very muddy bike to the roof of a Porsche.

Good luck, that driver will present itself to you. Then it will reward you every time you turn the key, stab the accelerator, and shift the gears.

Enjoy
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
With that kind of budget you are going to get an awesome car. I am looking as well but won't be spending that much. If I were, this car would be in my garage right now.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 AM
MGibilisco
Instructor

Any opinions on the Arena red example on eBay? It looks the part.

I see the rebuilt title though...
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^P.m. sent but I'm afraid it's 24 hours late ...
Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

There is an arena red one for sale on the PCA website. Unless you are a PCA member you will not be able to access the ad...pm me and I can help you get to the ad. Also just noticed there is also a black C4S there too.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
There is an arena red one for sale on the PCA website.
Yes .. that's the one I pm'd him with. I asked seller for more interior pictures .. here's his response, looks like the car is sold, but no surprise there, 38K original mile Arena over black one or two owner (not clear ..) for ... wait for it ... $39.9K! That was a great deal for the lucky buyer that got to it first :-)

Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: Mart Comment

I have more pictures but pending receipt of wired funds it is sold. Florida plate = no personal property tax.

If you are interested I can get back to you if anything changes...I had a lot of strong interest.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Jon Paul Phillips wrote:

Hi Ross,
Thanks for the quick response. No surprise it sold, I think you could have asked a bit more without any problem, looks like a well kept car. Please keep me posted ..
JP

Will do. My son calls me a "good seller". When I decide to sell something that becomes the objective...not the last $. That said, you are likely right...I did get a little more based on the offer of someone..not because I asked. It's a low mileage original car. Some small items like a damp rear main seal...no drips, and the brake system need sot be flushed. Seems like many older 993's have that issue. Nothing else and it has NEVER been in the rain. I built a garage just for it!!

Thank you.

Ross

Quick Reply: C4S - Keepin' my eyes peeled