Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SS Sandy - local pix from Long Island, NY

Well, for some of us, SS Sandy is something that we saw in the news
-- or experienced first-hand.
Here’s some of the pix I took (having experienced it first-hand!)
As you peruse the pix -- it’ll quickly dawn on you as to why the majority of those
who live in the ‘burbs’ were out of ‘power’ (light, heat, comms.) for 10+ days and why LIPA had to have technicians come, from as far as CA, to assist.
As I type this, I have friends in Huntington who STILL have no power.

Tuesday morning (day after) Sandy (our own town of Floral Park)

http://ifly.freeyellow.com/miscell/d...andy/index.htm

With no power, mid-week, (and getting a little stir-crazy) we both walked to a friend’s house (Garden City) to re-charge our flashlight and cell-ph. batteries.
These pix are what we saw along the way.

http://ifly.freeyellow.com/miscell/b...city/index.htm

Last weekend, with some semblance of normality circulating around the boroughs, I rented a helicopter (R22) & took these aerial shots of the s. shore of Long Island -- from due south of Islip --> to Montauk.
To me, it looks like some deity took a big broom and ‘swept’ the sand inland.
Oh, and yes, that’s a brand new ‘inlet’ just west of Smith’s Point park. (Thanx Sandy)

http://ifly.freeyellow.com/miscell/s...andy/index.htm

Gerry

P.S. All thumbs are clickable. When you’ve clicked on a thumb (and you’re viewing the larger image), just click on the ‘NEXT’ link -- at the bottom -- (to save yourself from having to go back to the thumbs.)
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Just....... wow.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 191 Posts

Thanks for sharing Gerry. It's terrible. You should see Rockaway and Staten Island though...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

How did Amagansett fair? I saw some pic's of the Montauk highway and there were entire sections obliterated. Wasn't that entire tip an island only 100 years ago or so?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's amazing how widespread the damage was. And also the differing degrees, sometimes even in the same towns. I know that long beach island got hammered for the most part, but my wife's family's place was nearly untouched.

Originally Posted by ilko
Thanks for sharing Gerry. It's terrible. You should see Rockaway and Staten Island though...
Or what's left of my mother in law's place in Pt. Pleasant. Basically the whole neighborhood was under 3 feet of water. She had just done an addition and redone her kitchen. She's in the process of gutting the entire house now. It'll be at least six months before she's able to live there. Till then she's living it up at the best western! Pretty sad for everyone who was affected by it.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

Those huge trees coming down is crazy!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

My folks live on Eatons Neck (Northport area) and the main road to their community was flooded out by Long Island Sound. They were literally on an island for a day or so until the army core of engineers could clear it all out. The water also took out the utility poles. With all that, they only lost power for 6 days. Everything was a mess though-trees down etc. All in all that wasn't nearly as bad as other areas-as mentioned Staten Island and parts of Jersey. I can't imagine still not having power. That must suck!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Jpp
The south fork IS an island, detached by the huge hurricane during the '30's. When you cross the Shinecock Canal--the result of that "gut"--you're on a different island than the rest of lon gisland.

We live in East Hampton, and were remarkably lucky compared to our friends up island and beyond. The village never lost electric, and we had electric and cable by the next evening. While I saw a few huge trees in roof's in the village, we only lost scrub oaks our property, although a couple fell on our drive.

So to the Amagansett question, I understand Montauk highway flooded over, I presume in the Nappeague stretch and in Hither Hills, but when I drove through Amagansett village during the storm, it was OK. It's on particularly high ground. The highway department was already attacking downed trees during the storm. and they had electric in the village.

The ocean beaches in Amagansett are pretty hurt, with much of the dunes gone. Apparently the dunes in Montauk and Southampton are even worse.

Regarding the gut near Smith Point park, I heard that it's opened and then closed naturally before, and the county is considering a wait and see approach before filling it. That portion of the barrier is considered important to protect the bay and beaches behind it.

I learned one lesson--make sure your chain saw is primed and oiled when they predict a hurricane. It was an ugly day, but we dodged the bullet on the east end.

Last edited by mhm993; 11-21-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: SS Sandy - local pix from Long Island, NY