Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: who is buying the new iMac......

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Question: We have an older iMac with a back-up firewire drive. Is there a way of using the firewire on the new iMac?
This is what I use on the new Mac's, everything is a Thunderbolt adapter
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...rewire-adapter
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Unfortunately Santa won't deliver in time
And that is exactly why they lost a sale when I bought my laptop.

They want top dollar and they want me to wait?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Beretta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered the new 21´5" iMac.

Also bought a iPad + iPhone last month.

I´m going "All in" with Apple, hopefully I like it..
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8

Why would you think supply and price are linked in this case? Its likely because another million dudes like you are looking for the same thing.

Regardless off all the silly videos and people poking fun at the Apple "culture", the fact remains that I have had minimal issues with the assorted machines I have, they just work. I had Window's based machines for years before, and I cut out 90% of the work to keep those machines running when I switch to Apple 5 years ago. For me then, I would not let a bit of a wait alter the decision to purchase a Mac over a PC, the long term time gains are worth it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
that was funny

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
This is what I use on the new Mac's, everything is a Thunderbolt adapter
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...rewire-adapter
Mike - I ordered the same adapter to link my old G5 tower (by firewire 800) and also this adapter to connect my 23" Cinema Display for more real estate.

Originally Posted by IXLR8

Patience is required when a newly announced Apple product becomes available. The high demand in a global market doesn't help much and when in my case you custom order there will be an additional week of wait time for the upgrades to be done to the off the shelf model.

Originally Posted by Beretta
Ordered the new 21´5" iMac.

Also bought a iPad + iPhone last month.

I´m going "All in" with Apple, hopefully I like it..

At one point this coming year I'll be replacing my MB-Pro as well. Not decided with what portable (Apple) device I will go for.

Last edited by jo-hans; 12-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J

Regardless off all the silly videos and people poking fun at the Apple "culture", the fact remains that I have had minimal issues with the assorted machines I have, they just work. I had Window's based machines for years before, and I cut out 90% of the work to keep those machines running when I switch to Apple 5 years ago.
In my main PC I have 2x Intel 180GB 520 SSD running in RAID-0 for performance and 2x Seagate 3TB running in RAID-1 for redundancy and paid less than $450 for that hardware in total. Can't imagine what I would pay for a similar (performance/flexibility/availability) Apple setup, if it was even possible.... certainly not in an iMac form-factor. Well worth the effort to me.

Couldn't pay me enough to tie me to the limitations imposed by Apple. http://www.zdnet.com/ifixit-teardown...ir-7000008173/
Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

All these arguments have been thrashed a million times over and over - for me, I do not have the time or inclination to fool around building some sort of faster machine, I just need something that is like a toaster - just take it out of the box, plug it in, and it works with minimal maintenance. And even if I had some sort of supercharged hardware, my fundamental problem is with Windows O/S - the maintenance was taking too long - between the virus checkers, continuous security holes, crashing disks, lousy backup software, etc. For what I need it for, the power is more than sufficient and usually much faster than the XP laptop I am forced to use at work.

Remember I also have multiple machines at home, with two kids in university and a separate machine for my wife, and any time I save is multiplied across all the machines. The maintenance has been a snap.

I would go to a Unix based system but again, I have no interest in spending my time doing the geek-thing, lost interest decades ago and I just want a box that works. Simple.

I have had an excellent ride on Apple products so far and will continue with them. If things start to go sideways and i have issues, then I may reconsider - but I doubt if I would switch back to Microsoft, been burned too many times.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 453 Posts

Why would you think supply and price are linked in this case?

Cheers,
Mike
Mike, what I was looking to buy had already been on the market for a long time. It wasn't "just out" and in high demand.

As for my laptop, in the 3+ years I've had it, I have had zero issues. Apples are nice, well thought out and well designed, but maybe one day when what I have quits. You know me, I replace stuff when it no longer works not because something new comes out....guess that makes me a lousy consumer.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What limitations does Apple impose? That's like saying, I don't like PlayStations because Sony won't let me play Xbox game nor Nintendo games on it.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by texas911
What limitations does Apple impose?

Don't worry about it.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go to a Unix based system but again, I have no interest in spending my time doing the geek-thing, lost interest decades ago and I just want a box that works. Simple.

I have had an excellent ride on Apple products so far and will continue with them. If things start to go sideways and i have issues, then I may reconsider - but I doubt if I would switch back to Microsoft, been burned too many times.
Thats the nice thing about Apples OS, it's Unix based but polished and stable unlike the various distributions of Linux/Unix which require you in a lot of circumstances to compile your own drivers to get your favorite graphics/audio cards to work... been there, done that, Apples products are appliances that just work.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

There are plenty on Linux dist's that are rock stable and work with most hardware these days..., Mint, CentOS, Ubuntu, etc. If I really wanted to run Linux I'd check the hardware compatibility list on any new/bleeding edge components for specific dist's and go from there but overall I don't really think there are that many surprises/disappointments lurking anymore...

That said, I prefer Windows 7 and will be running it for the foreseeable future. It's treated me very well over the past couple/few years and I don't see any reason to change anytime soon (within the next 5 years.)

Quick Reply: OT: who is buying the new iMac......