Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porsche - more for less.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
If you take out the audio system on a 997, its basically as simple as a 993. Look at the GT3's without radios as an example.
Totally... PASM, PSM, PSE, heated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, dual zone climate control... all standard in a 993
Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
still with the entitlement crap huh slapnuts? get over it
the rest of your post is typical bull****
im sure that if you happen to be in a place you dont know your keen sense of direction will help you. but wait, youd rather sit on the side of the road and read a map instead of push a button and have a map...and something that tells you where to go rather than fumbling with a map like the gigantic tool that you are
furthermore, what about if youre in a strange location and you need to find a gas station, restaurant, dealer, parking garage, etc etc etc. youre probably dumb enough to drive around all day looking for this stuff because you think youre such a badass '"roughing it"
what a joke
Funny, I have no nav, and have never had any of those problems. I just grew up in a time where we were taught a larger set of skills than relying on a button to solve our problems and crying if that didn't work because we didn't know what to do. Most all these problems you mentioned above and easily avoided with a little prep and some smarts. Sorry, you can't buy those skills.

One of the many assets one naturally gains from being self-made and opposed to having things handed to you. The latter takes no skill.

You probably need nav. I don't
Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsches are not as exclusive as they once were at least in the US. Yes, great performance for the dollar. In Canada the 993 was a $100k car but that is another story. In 17 years lets see what a 993 and a Cayman are worth In regards to interiors, the 993 interiors have character much like the 356. The new cars seem to be lacking in that department. They are 4 times nicer than the early Boxster/996s but still.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
texas911
Race Car

Originally Posted by lowside67
Totally... PASM, PSM, PSE, heated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, dual zone climate control... all standard in a 993
No they are options that were also available on the 993. You could even get full leather on a 993.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM
texas911
Race Car

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Funny, I have no nav, and have never had any of those problems. I just grew up in a time where we were taught a larger set of skills than relying on a button to solve our problems and crying if that didn't work because we didn't know what to do. Most all these problems you mentioned above and easily avoided with a little prep and some smarts. Sorry, you can't buy those skills.

One of the many assets one naturally gains from being self-made and opposed to having things handed to you. The latter takes no skill.

Why even have a Porsche? Why not a horse and buggy?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
Why even have a Porsche? Why not a horse and buggy?
No 993 ever came with nav. Do you drive around in your 993 confused and lost often? If so, you might benefit from nav. If not, you might not
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Nav is great when you need it. Fortunately, a $200 Garmin does the job. And you can take it with you when you travel. And when a new model comes out with features you can't live without, it's just $200 to upgrade.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
reading is fundamental...this thread is about the interior. Aside from the massive clutter the buttons for these above items present (), how do they otherwise make the 997 interior not simple?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehanauer
Nav is great when you need it. Fortunately, a $200 Garmin does the job. And you can take it with you when you travel. And when a new model comes out with features you can't live without, it's just $200 to upgrade.
Yes, my iPhone has nav as well. That's why I don't really see the need to have nav in a car. I confess I used my iPhone nav once to find a nearby Chinese restaurant when the one we went to was closed.

I suspect I probably could have found another Chinese restaurant without the nav
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

wow you are an incredible blowhard

Amazing, just a little prep and some smarts huh? Never been out and wanted to grab dinner in a town you weren't familiar with? This has never happened to you? Do you ever leave a 4 block radius from your house?

Not to mention, navigation can be used as a digital map...you don't need to use the navigation function. Btw, do you find yourself using a lot of encyclopedias these days?

The rest is your typical jealousy nonsense, so it really is a waste of my time to respond.

finally, the fact that you think its somehow impressive that you can read a map tells me a lot about your intellectual capabilities.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow you are an incredible blowhard

Amazing, just a little prep and some smarts huh? Never been out and wanted to grab dinner in a town you weren't familiar with? This has never happened to you? Do you ever leave a 4 block radius from your house?

Not to mention, navigation can be used as a digital map...you don't need to use the navigation function. Btw, do you find yourself using a lot of encyclopedias these days?

The rest is your typical jealousy nonsense, so it really is a waste of my time to respond.

finally, the fact that you think its somehow impressive that you can read a map tells me a lot about your intellectual capabilities.
Quad, we were talking about interiors IN CARS. Geez, no wonder you need nav; you can't even follow a simple thread discussion! Didn't your family buy, er, teach you anything?

Of course nav can be very convenient, especially in those very specific situations you mention above. But built into the dash of a car, not really the ideal. The maps can get old and obsolete over time, their size can detract from the dash's styling/function, they distract from driving and you can get all that, and more, easily, from any iPhone, which can travel in a person's pocket, whereas a car cannot.

You follow me now? Or do you need your nav?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 453 Posts

Actually, the basic 5-guage dash design of the 993 and earlier 911 models harkens back to the 1960s
I thought so, but wasn't sure.

Even though the 996 dash is more modern than ours, the aspect of it that I totally dislike is what looks like a stuck-on instrument panel onto the dash cover and the stuck-on heating control onto the center console. The rest of the car looks great, smooth and simple.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM
FinPat
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deekay911
Taking into account inflation, it probably about half the price!
1995 $65k ~ 2012 $98k
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I don't need no stinking nav. It wasn't till my Instructor cross country that I finally used a VOR for navigation as visibility was way down.

Got a GPS on my motorcycle for track logging and photo marking only; hardly ever use it for nav...heck, the dumb GPS doesn't know where the good motorcycling roads are.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deekay911
Taking into account inflation, it probably about half the price!
Don't forget the exchange rate. It has changed quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Porsche - more for less.