Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porsche museum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Porsche museum?

Do I need to make reservations or do anything special if I would like to go during the summer months? Do they offer any special tours of the factory etc?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think they do factory tours unless you're a really heavy hitter w/ some good connections.

No reservations necessary. As you pull up to it, the underground parking garage is at the back of the museum, the entrance to it is on the road between the dealership and the museum.

I've been twice. Great place.

Last edited by Vandit; 01-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 90 Posts

I believe as previous poster stated factory tours are arranged far in advance and rarely offered unless
reasonably well connected.
The museum is open all seasons and does a great walk up business including part of Porsche Classische
actually working on vintage racing and customer classic vehicles right next to the museum lobby behind
a glass wall for viewing ...cool stuff.
I went this past february excellent time spent don't miss it if your in frankfurt or near stuttgart,Bert
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Schedule it through your Porsche dealer in advance. My local dealer did it, even though I never bought a car from them. (I did bring it there for service though.)

Factory tour is awesome. Plan a full day for it and the museum.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Factory Tours are Free. And WELL WORTH IT!!! You need to schedule in advance.

Museum is a walk on your own w/ headsets provided that explain everything. Also visit the Mercedes Museum up the road. Same as Porsche w/ Headsets.

I did both back in October then did the Ring!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can send you my contact who helped me get a factory tour last year. Pretty cool to do, but normally you have to schedule months in advance. He hooked me up about 30 days beforehand, but I just got lucky.

Museum you can just walk up and do. Usually early July is when I am there and no problems getting in. Closed on Monday.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you are a PCA member they can help schedual a tour. If you are not a memeber then ask yourself why?!?!?
it is not to early to book!!!! They fill up quick. It would be a real shame to go all that way and not tour the factory!!!
And yes the museum should be considerd a world holly sight!!! Its that good.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 AM
EHATL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need to book it well in advance. Well worth the effort and I would suggest that you take the tour for one of the other car manufactures if you want to really appreciate how special your Porsche is made. I toured the BMW plant in Munich the day after Porsche. It is just completely different.

Also, I was not able to schedule a tour, all full, for the dates I wanted. I just relied on human nature to get a tour. By just standing next the tour guide while he was calling the names and number for each group, a very informal process. Smith group of three and Jones group of four and when Jones replies we only have three, you ask if you can take that spot. Human nature part says just because I booked the tour does not mean I will show up.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand.../zuffenhausen/
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also bring your PCA membership card for discounted admission.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Tours start in the morning, 10AM ish usually meet at base of museum. Last 2-hours ish. Book in advance as mentioned above. And factory can be closed for tours during breaks and upgrades.

Trolly / tram stop at Porscheplatz, so easy to get to. Ample parking under the museum for a few Euros. Plan to have lunch there, nice place on ground floor. Wander across to dealership too. Check out Museum parking garage (if not driving), as some nice cars park there too from time to time.

MBenz too while in Stuttgart much larger and more to do, 3-4 hours and ample parking garage too.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Instructor

PCA membership definitely helps. In the summer months the tours get booked very early. Bring a decent camera for the museum. The parking garage under the museum is awesome too. You never know what you will see. Stop by the gift shop on the way out.

If you have the time I suggest visiting the Mercedes museum as well. It's about ten minutes away and as others have mentioned is well worth the trip. It is far bigger than the Porsche museum so you should plan to spend a good 3 or 4 hours.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll just ask this here: I may try to set up a visit with RUF this year when I am there. I recall seeing people post about visiting them, anybody have a good contact there they can pass along to me?

To keep on topic, here's a couple pics:

Museum:

Main dealer and factory:

Parking lot under museum:

Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plan to take a trip to the Mercedes museum as well.

If you're in PCA, you should be able to get in free, and another guest with reduced rate. I wasn't a member when I went 2 years ago.

If you are in MBCA, you get in the Mercedes museum free as well.

I stayed at this hotel, it was kind of neat.
http://www.v8hotel.de/en

I ate at a restaurant called Irma La Douce, which was pretty good as well, so long as you're not a vegetarian.
http://www.irmaladouce.de/

PM sent.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

The Mercedes museum is in another area of Stuttgart, lots more than 10 minutes away. Don't try to do both the same day.

Also, public transportation is excellent in Stuttgart. No need for a car in the city.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
vaujot
Instructor

One could try and do a rennlister meet-up at the museum. It's been about three years since I visited and would like to go again one of these days.

Quick Reply: Porsche museum?