Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift

I will be purchasing one of these in the next month or two regardless, but I figured I would approach Greg Smith Equipment anyway to see what type of discounts are available. Here is the link to the lift:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift

Regular Price is $1495
Group of 3 orders will be $1395 per
Group of 10 or more orders will be $1345 per

Please check out this link regarding shipping costs / restraints:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Shipping

Buyer will have to either pay for shipping or go to the closest Greg Smith Equipment location (Indianapolis, IN / Newark, DE / Atlanta, GA / Phoenix, AZ / Hudson, NH / Miami, FL / Austin, TX) and pick up. If you do indeed pick up you will have to pay sales tax which could likely wash out much of the savings you think you would get from not paying shipping. Real savings on shipping could be achieved if multiple lifts are sent to one location, then the buyers could transport them home from there splitting the freight bill.

Please refer to the Greg Smith website regarding information on the lifts, it's capabilities, shipping and or any other questions regarding it, I am by no means an expert on it.

I will be purchasing mine sometime in Mid February or early March, email me directly (not always on these boards regularly) at coreseller@fuse.net if you would like to order one. Thanks.......Mark.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

got mine in the fall of 2010...can't imagine living without it now. Makes oil changes extremely easy...but, think about detailing. No more do you have to kneel down, or lay on your belly to pre-clean, or polish. You want the car at "stool" height...just push the button.

Really, makes maintenance, and general TLC soooo much easier.

Nice quality, very reasonable price.

Only down side...when every body panel can be made at eyeball level, you'll see imperfections you never noticed before.

Good luck Mark
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Thank YOU Joe, for all the advice on recessing it. A few pictures of my project thus far:

Laying it out and measuring where to place the hole

Cutting the hole

Jack Hammering out the old concrete

Digging down to accommodate pad and desired depth

Digging 5 piers 12" by 36" and running / drilling floor for PVC to hold hydraulic lines

Pouring / screeding concrete for appropriate depth

Finishing concrete, this is where I am now

I will finish out the edges then trim the hole out and let it sit for 30 days to cure.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Geowar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How thick is the new concrete?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Minimum of 7 inches. It goes out 12 to 18" from hole under existing garage floor to support it also.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmmmm?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are these pretty stable? Safe to work under?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Wish I had the $ right now.....Dammit. Cant wait to see this installation though!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

I'm right down in Cincy if you ever want to check it out Mark. Was that your old '70 I saw at Euro Classics last summer?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
I'm right down in Cincy if you ever want to check it out Mark. Was that your old '70 I saw at Euro Classics last summer?
Thanks. I may take you up on that. Yep, that was my car........
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Where does that plastic tubing goes or comes from?

Ken
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Porsche
Where does that plastic tubing goes or comes from?

Ken
It is 1 1/2" PVC which will hold the hydraulic lines / release cable, they will run through it below the garage floor up to the front wall where I plan to place the pump. I used a very heavy duty Bosch hammer drill with a 2" bit to drill directly down through the floor near the front wall. Tunneling below the existing floor was fairly easy since there is a 4 to 5" layer of gravel between the concrete and clay / mud, I just worked the pipe under the floor and withdrew it to empty the gravel. After the path was made I glued on the 90 degree elbow and pushed it though with minimal effort, it was aligned with the drilled hole from above with a flashlight and pry bar. Then I applied glue to a 12" piece of PVC and put it down the hole into the elbow and twisted to set it. You can see the vertical pipe near the front wall in the 5th picture down in the above post, it is to the left of the Black Maglight.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm tentatively interested in the group purchase, need to clear up a couple of doubts first.

Does this lift need a pit like Coreseller is doing? If that's the case, I'm out. I need plug-n-play <grin>. Looking at gregsmith website video, it does not seem to be a requirement, it's advertised as "portable". I have a 3 degree incline in my garage, I don't think that should be a problem (he heh, it will be fun to chase the lift with the car on top if it makes it to the ~25 deg garage driveway/ramp)

Measuring the dimensions in my garage, it will fit fine, but I can only use the lift with the overhead garage door closed. Is this how everyone else is doing it?

This midrise lift will lift the car to chest height if I did my numbers right. That's kinda awkward to work underneath, right? What's been the experience of those using these kind of lifts - do you sit on a stool and work? IF anyone around the Dallas, TX area has one, I'd greatly appreciate the opportunity to see it in person.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Nicely done!

Aren't those saws great; they cut through concrete like butter. Instead of using a jack hammer, I just cut my slab into smaller rectangular pieces and lifted them out.

How are you finishing the sides/edges of the slab? You might use some tile with a quarter-round edge at the top and cut it to fit along the base of the slab.

BTW, here is Joe's installation...same lift, same installation method...

Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Mr Swed
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how i did!
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift