Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nice looking '95 FS in Nor Cal, potential DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I concur. Looks like mold and a paint edge near some of the windows.

Dcdude, are you limiting yourself to just the left coast, or all through the country? We had a car here (NC) that had about the same miles as this one, blue with tan, low options, lots of rock chips, scratches etc. as expected with the miles, airbag light on, top-end job done by a reputable local shop, and I think he was in the upper 20's. I didn't buy it because I didn't like the outstanding issues and it had a lightweight flywheel which I really didn't like. He's sold it though, since the ad dropped off of Autotrader. I figured it was worth 23-24, but if I were really really wanting a DD 993, it would have been a good choice.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Chuck, you missing it already???
Naw...just stalking around, bro

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I concur. Looks like mold and a paint edge near some of the windows.

Dcdude, are you limiting yourself to just the left coast, or all through the country? We had a car here (NC) that had about the same miles as this one, blue with tan, low options, lots of rock chips, scratches etc. as expected with the miles, airbag light on, top-end job done by a reputable local shop, and I think he was in the upper 20's. I didn't buy it because I didn't like the outstanding issues and it had a lightweight flywheel which I really didn't like. He's sold it though, since the ad dropped off of Autotrader. I figured it was worth 23-24, but if I were really really wanting a DD 993, it would have been a good choice.
Nice meeting you, MJ. I'm not in the market myself, just saying "hi," although I think I bought my last three cars out of state, two from the east coast.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by For202fly
"There are just to many cars out there"...Man if I had a dime every time I have read that same statement, the fact is, there just isn't!! I don't feel like paying over 40K+ for a garage queen NB, but don't want one with over 100K mi. that has been neglected and then some jerk still wants over 30K for it. Sorry to vent, I'm just really frustrated with my search recently. I'm tired of being lied to by sellers and being disapointed in the cars. As you all know this is also a time consuming effort, and with work and family it's hard to enjoy sometimes. If money was no object I would just go drop cash on a sub 40k mi. car stop my cryin' and be done with it. Gonna go stare at photos of all of your cars now.
If it is worth it to you then come up and look at it. Just be prepared it may not be perfect. If it is in good shape, no major stories and passes a PPI without needing much then the price seems fair.

Monterey is just far away enough to make getting a good PPI done a pain. The closest quality independent I know of is Tim Benson at Fastlane Porsche Repair in Santa Cruz which is at least a 45 min drive. I have been happy with his work. Anyone else will be significantly farther away. I don't know if Mohr would even let you take the car that far.

I would offer to go take a look at it for you but I doubt I could make it down there for at least a few weeks. Have fun with your search and take your time.

Last edited by pirahna; 02-22-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six

Personally, I stay away from ANY vehicle that spent ANY time in Florida for reasons previously stated. It's as if the whole state has turned into a pain pill mill, and a destination for whitewashing of titles for vehicles with less than a clean past. For this same reason, I don't trust the stated mileage on cars that have spent any time in Florida.
Pardon me for saying so, but that is just silly.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would probably be worth a look, for a DD. A good PPI and paint meter check. Could be paint line,or residue from a quick wax. I wouldn't get too carried away trying to interpret a photo. If you are comfortable with color and miles,at least get a test drive in, then you can walk away with confidence. Just saying......

Emerald
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by dave morris
Personally, I don't think so.

Nice well-rusted door latch on the car in question, too.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by For202fly
Saw that, but also saw the misfitting of the front cover with all the scrapes on the underside. If a respray why would you not fix that while you're at it, who knows? Thinking it's just bad wax??
Only on a "good" paint job to they disassemble parts and hang them on hooks in the spray booth. I believe that at least the doors and hood have been repainted...maybe more. I can't see the rock guards on the rear fenders. Question is, is the paint job good ? It looks like both front wheels are running standard rusty lug nuts, the black aluminium cap nuts are gone.

This thing might sit for a while then sell at around $29K. Just speculating.

Has anyone run a Carfax?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesn't look like wax to me. Check the photo with the vin code and its pretty obvious. There also seem to imperfections in the paint too.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Called em yesterday, "Aaron" confirmed it was a respray and that if you are detail oriented this prolly isn't the car for you. No real work done, original clutch, etc. I thanked him for his time.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone check out this car in person?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

+1. Id like to see the evidence on the title washing here. When I registered my car here from California, I had to wait for a title check to come through from California before they would issue me a clean Florida title. This is the first time I've heard that we were one of the sketchy states (for that anyway.)
I would agree that cars kept near the beach here are going to have some salt water issues, but that's anywhere near the ocean.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I was expressing an educated opinion, as I used to work closely with many fed DEA & ATF agents.

The opinion expressed is well known fact to those in the know!

Denial in this case, is nothing more than silly a$$ed ignorance, that has nothing to do with the river in Egypt.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I was expressing an educated opinion, as I used to work closely with many fed DEA & ATF agents.

The opinion expressed is well known fact to those in the know!

Denial in this case, is nothing more than silly a$$ed ignorance, that has nothing to do with the river in Egypt.
It IS a silly opinion as ATF and DEA agents are hardly "in the know" about title washing.

Florida is sketchy on many levels. But title washing is actually not a big problem here. They require the vehicle to be present and inspected by DMV personel before issueing a title for any out of state vehicle. A little fact checking and we are actually one of the stricter states...

You might want to check facts before starting rumors that could affect the value of members cars...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 617 Likes on 302 Posts

Wow I guess my 993s should never be sold both are here in Florida, low mileage on the 96 so that must be a rollback and my race car has a body and original paint that must have had its title washed cause it is too nice to be a Florida race car. Shame on me I guess I should have bought that 1996 993 I looked at a few years ago in LA that had major crash damage but the wealthy owner did not want to report that his under age daughter crashed the car so he paid to fix it himself on the cheap, but it did have a "clear" California title even passed the state's smog check, at least it was not from Florida! Threre are a million stories in the naked city and this is just one.
Rich
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 617 Likes on 302 Posts

Facts are always better than opinions: Review the States that are in full compliance and those that are partial or in process and you decide.

NMVTIS

The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) is designed to assist, and provide benefits to states, particularly state motor vehicle titling information agencies. Depending upon state implementation, NMVTIS:
◦Provides states with a mechanism to instantly check all state vehicle title record systems to verify the accuracy and legitimacy of title information. This 50-state instant search protects states from crime and saves agencies processing time. Unlike information available from private vehicle history databases, NMVTIS data is based on federal legal requirements and therefore reduces risk to a searching agency because of its completeness and accuracy.
◦Provides a secure communication link among state motor vehicle titling agencies, allowing the titling agency to securely check the title information of the current state of title and subsequently to securely notify that state of the vehicle's new location and the issuance of a new title.
◦Provides states with access to other state's actual title of record, including restricted information only available to state motor vehicle titling agencies. This allows and supports automation of state-to-state title transactions. In these cases, the verification and the title transaction can be conducted in the same place at the same time, as opposed to having to check a private vehicle history database and then undertake a manual state-to-state title transaction.
◦Provides, as an unrequired benefit, access to title transactions conducted by a state, without additional fees. Although NMVTIS is required only for use in titling vehicles from out of state, the system also helps protect states from any fraudulent title documentation and allows them another opportunity to verify a vehicle's history.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
NMVTIS_Map.pdf (310.6 KB, 80 views)

Quick Reply: Nice looking '95 FS in Nor Cal, potential DD