Sponsored by: DashLynx

Was I sold damaged shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Was I sold damaged shocks?

I bought four used Bilstein B6 HD shocsk with a H & R springs. The shocks were described as lightly used only for weekend track events.

I had only enough time to install the front shocks today. When I removed the car from the jack stands to my surprise I noticed the driver side sitting low. When viewed head-on the car was not even.

I peered into the driver side fender-wheel gap and to my surprise I saw the spring was totally compressed.

If you look closely you'll see where the springs have rubbed away the paint in between the coils from contact.

The next picture is the right side shock. Not compressed all the way but obviously there is evidence of full coil compression.

Are these shocks totally gone?

Howard

1997 911 Coupe Artic Silver
1988 Black 911 Coupe (gone but not forgetten)

Last edited by plymouthcolt; 04-09-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

The first thing to look at, is whether you installed them correctly. Are you sure they went on correctly?

It certainly could be a bad shock. I'd never buy used shocks, unless I knew the person, or could drive the car that previously had them.

Bilstein should be able to repair, you can give them a call for pricing, my guess is it will be $100/shock.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if the shock were bad, the spring shouldn't compress fully like that, should it? I didn't think the shocks actually supported any of the vehicles weight, but instead were there to control it's movement... correct? I would say that the spring is suspect...
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The first thing to look at, is whether you installed them correctly. Are you sure they went on correctly?

It certainly could be a bad shock. I'd never buy used shocks, unless I knew the person, or could drive the car that previously had them.

Bilstein should be able to repair, you can give them a call for pricing, my guess is it will be $100/shock.
All I had to do was remove the four 13mm nuts and lowered the old shock, slid up the one I purchased and redid the fours nuts, then I reattached the allen bolt and large screw on to the caliper.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I do not think the shocks are at fault as long as they are the right ones for the car. Are all the part numbers correct? Especially for the springs? As I remember there is little or no preload on the fronts and at full droop the springs can come out of the retaining cups.

Something very wrong there!

Berni
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

This is the part number 29953 on the springs which does match the data on the H&R website.

http://www.hrsprings.com/application...ts/31/546/1997

Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

If Im not mistaken, only the first few coils fully compress when the car is lowered but the bottom half should still have space between coils for movement.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Now that I see this on the iPad, that is bizarre. I'd still double check your install for starters.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like a typical progressive spring setup to me. Look at the spring design ... of course the upper springs are going to be blocked, that's the intent. And what does the condition of the shock (damper) have to do with the springs being compressed? I'll go ahead and answer that; Nothing. A bad shock gives you zero visual indication of its condition due to its nature. Springs resist displacement; shocks resist speed.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

How long ago did you take delivery of the shocks?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

If they are progressive springs then the top coils could well appear to be bound together or compressed.

I have no experience of them on a 993, but I agree its nothing to do with the shocks.

Berni
Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

The hydraulic part of the shock has nothing to do with the ride height, that is the job of the springs. So if you've got a spring that's collapsing you need to replace the spring. If you replace one I'd probably suggest you do both of them to stay balanced. Does make me wonder though how many miles these shocks have on them that the springs would begin to droop like that. I wonder if H & R might warranty them for you, might be worth a call at least.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
How long ago did you take delivery of the shocks?
Mark it been five days.

I am going to call H & R and ask if these are progressive springs.

Howard
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the pictures in the shipping box the collars are adjusted differently on the shocks (ride height). If you did no balancing at all then start there. Only other option is the one of the springs is for the back and they are mixed up (you bought 4 I assume). Read the numbers on both shocks. The shocks look in pretty good condition to me.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the exact same setup. H&R springs and Bilsteins HD shocks. Your first picture looks correct. The top 3 coils of the HR springs are always fully compressed like that as they are progressive. Remember that this setup doesn't use helper springs. So, the reason that are designed to be all compressed like that is so that the spring doesn rattle, or comes lose when the suspension is completely unloaded.

What does look weird is that the other spring on the other side has not compressed all the way. This may be due to a bad shock that may be binding, or the struct may be bent in the shock, or installation issues. Also, if you have one shock adjusted higher than the other, you would have more weight in one corner of the car. Do you have access to shop scales to check the cortner weights? Have you driven around a bit so everything settles?

Quick Reply: Was I sold damaged shocks?