Rear swaybar & droplink making contact with control arm link

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by plymouthcolt
I moved the drop link mount down. The drop link and sway bar clear the toe arm by 2 or 3 mm. The bad news is that the ride height is slammed-i look like a low rider. I will have to add the 2nd locknut.
You need to be able to adjust the spring height separate from the drop link mount height or you need to have different length drop links for every suspension height you use. If you never change heights then by all means get the Tarets and cut them down. The setup you have now is sub-optimal
Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The first photograph - shows the perch for the spring pointing lets say 90 degrees across the car directly towards the other rear tire.

On my car - the perch points a bit more towards the rear of the car which seems to give the drop link a little extra room. of course now that i see yours . your drop link sits very square to the bolts and mine definitely come off at an angle. so maybe someone can tell me the perch Should go straight across the car - or if it is ok to angle to the back. my point here is .. i dont know enough to tell you to angle yours towards the back .. but that is how mine are currently and it fits ok - bilstein + mo33 ..
Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davePorsche
The first photograph - shows the perch for the spring pointing lets say 90 degrees across the car directly towards the other rear tire.

On my car - the perch points a bit more towards the rear of the car which seems to give the drop link a little extra room. of course now that i see yours . your drop link sits very square to the bolts and mine definitely come off at an angle. so maybe someone can tell me the perch Should go straight across the car - or if it is ok to angle to the back. my point here is .. i dont know enough to tell you to angle yours towards the back .. but that is how mine are currently and it fits ok - bilstein + mo33 ..
According to the install instructions they are offset by 21 degrees to the upper mounting screws to remain straight across the car.

I will add a 2nd lock nut for separate adjust ability and use the Tarett drop link.

Howard
1997 911
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been sorting this out here recently as well. I originally had the PSS9s in my old 964 and had to replace the drop link mounts so I had nothing to go on for the correct 993 install. I consulted Rothsport, who did the earlier conversion for me and they told me that the drop link brackets should angle back from perpendicular. Or another way to look at it is 90 degrees to the lower mount bolt. I have not tried this out yet but must do it soon then report back.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

The defining position is that the drop links push straight up vertically, when resting on the suspension. No side loading is the goal.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:38 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Old thread, but I'm going through the same issues with RS sways, KW V3's and figuring out drop link length- my current RS drops will interfere with the control arm when the car is jacked up.. what was your final solution if you remember?

Thanks!

Coleman
Old 12-31-2021, 07:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
Old thread, but I'm going through the same issues with RS sways, KW V3's and figuring out drop link length- my current RS drops will interfere with the control arm when the car is jacked up.. what was your final solution if you remember?

Thanks!

Coleman
Pics would help

but here's mine w/ Bilstein and RS drops, if the drop mount was at the top of available travel it might have that issue, which is why it's lower
Old 01-17-2022, 12:22 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

I got it figured out, I just had to get longer rear drop links.. Because the KW's have a fixed drop link attachment point, the RS drop links were too short.. I picked up some Elephant racing rear drop links, which worked well (though the quality was a bit dodgy)

Old 01-17-2022, 03:12 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

I got it figured out, I just had to get longer rear drop links.. Because the KW's have a fixed drop link attachment point, the RS drop links were too short.. I picked up some Elephant racing rear drop links, which worked well (though the quality was a bit dodgy)

Why would you describe the quality as dodgy?
Old 01-17-2022, 05:30 PM
KingTubby
Banned

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

I returned my Elephant ones as well.... dodgy seems a much kinder word than what I would use...... put together with elmer's glue or something?

Old 01-18-2022, 11:35 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

This was my first dealing with Elephant.. I previously held them at high esteem.

I can understand the thinking behind the process, to create a weatherproof seal around a Heim joint, but without any flanges or other surfaces to mate the rubber boot, it's just cemented to the outer body, must be really tricky to get it to adhere evenly and it ends up being a mess... Both of the boots were not sealing all the way around and the glue didn't set correctly leaving part of the boot open.. I sent them an email asking if they had any properly sealed end Heim units that I could swap out, and I got no reply..

So much for customer service...

Old 11-06-2023, 07:32 AM
peter-997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi.
It's an old thread but I have the same sitution on my 993 C2 with KW V3 and original Porsche RS swaybars.
I am searchhing for an OEM looking solution.
Which droplinks i.g. from another car brand will fit?
Does anybody figuered that out?
Alternative I think the Tarett droplinks could be fine but the OEM look is gone.
regrds

Last edited by peter-997; 11-06-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:06 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

If you have the KW's in back with the stock RS bars, I've only found the Elephant drops to fit- the Tarrett team can make a drop link to fit this setup, but it's not going to be stock looking either... I don't know of any other car brands existing drop link that will fit, especially considering the larger hardware holes used on the RS sways. Plus, adjustability is almost certainly required, considering the fixed mount point on the shock body. Give KW a call and ask them why they have a static mount point. Most other brands have an adjustable mount point on the threaded shock body...
Old 11-06-2023, 10:21 AM
peter-997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Tarett Droplink

This must be fit.

Quote from the description:

"108mm - 205mm: For use with RS swaybar and KW V3 and other shocks with high drop link mounting"

How is the quality of Tarett?

Last edited by peter-997; 11-06-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:56 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, those will fit! I have them in the front and they're really nice- Back when I was setting my KW's up, they didn't offer it yet, but I spoke to Tarett & they said they could build them, but it looks like they offer them now...

Originally Posted by peter-997
Tarett Droplink

This must be fit.

Quote from the description:

"108mm - 205mm: For use with RS swaybar and KW V3 and other shocks with high drop link mounting"

How is the quality of Tarett?

Quick Reply: Rear swaybar & droplink making contact with control arm link